Another Discrete R2R Multibit PCM/DSD DAC from China

Not just me but recording studios too!

From MoJo Sound USA.

"When a PCM file is played on a DSD or Bit Stream (Delta Sigma) converter, the DAC chip has to convert the PCM to DSD in real time. This is one of the major reasons people claim DSD sounds better than PCM, when in fact, it is just that the Delta Sigma chip in most modern single-bit DACs do a poor job of decoding PCM."

Cheers George

• Like 1

3 hours ago, georgehifi said:

Not just me but recording studios too!

From MoJo Sound USA.

"When a PCM file is played on a DSD or Bit Stream (Delta Sigma) converter, the DAC chip has to convert the PCM to DSD in real time. This is one of the major reasons people claim DSD sounds better than PCM, when in fact, it is just that the Delta Sigma chip in most modern single-bit DACs do a poor job of decoding PCM."

Cheers George

That is true, but some people just prefer the sound of DSD, and even upsample PCM to DSD. Even if using external server software for playback and upsampling. Not necessarily DAC dependent.

My present system only plays back in PCM and it sounds fine. But there are a small number of recordings which sound harsh to me and I convert them to DSD in Roon before playback. Even though my system converts the DSD back to PCM, the DSD conversion takes out a bit of the harshness.

I think this is the same audible phenomenon that many people hear who prefer tubes - a more rounded or softer sound, less "edge".  Many say it is a more "natural" sound. 

People have different ideas of what sounds good and what sounds natural. Some think the "sound" of DSD is more natural. Just as many think tubes sound more "natural". Others disagree.

FWIW, I've been listening to an Audio-GD R2R DAC I got recently, the R2R11. It's probably the cheapest R2R DAC going around. (Please correct me if it's not – but I did say 'probably'.)

Sounds impressive to me – and yes, I did read the reviews of their Singularity19 via links in this very thread.

For context, other DACs in the house are an Emotiva XDA-1, Auralic Aries Mini and the digital side of a Harman Kardon 990 amp. It competes with and maybe bests them. 

I've only recently tried its pre-puts to a power amp. It was meant to be just an experiment, but I haven't rushed to put the standing preamp ( a very handy Xindak) back in the chain.

Btw, I'm no Audio-GD fanboy. This is the only piece of their equipment I've ever heard. But it's good enough to have piqued my interest in their preamps.

• 2 months later...
Interesting but he is selling a Dac himself. I had to do a double take as I think he put in one or two too many 0's for the price. [emoji6]
$12000 Euros for this and its the CD-only 44.1kHz
Attr_2_500.jpg

I have this exact same dac. It is a great dac! It operates with a 12v battery and samples up to 192khz not just 44.1khz. I don’t think he wants to make them now, so he asks what he likes.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an owner review, of the Denafrips Pontus (R2R Multibit)  vs the Gustard (ESS Delta Sigma).

https://forum.audiogon.com/posts/1493778

Just above that post is a link to the 6 Moons review of the Denafrips, also not a bad read if you can handle reading the 6 Moons format, my eye hurt reading it for some reason, (anyone else?)

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

Here's an owner review, of the Denafrips Pontus (R2R Multibit)  vs the Gustard (ESS Delta Sigma).

https://forum.audiogon.com/posts/1493778

Just above that post is a link to the 6 Moons review of the Denafrips, also not a bad read if you can handle reading the 6 Moons format, my eye hurt reading it for some reason, (anyone else?)

Cheers George

R2R denafrips is a different flavour to Gustard ess sabre chips. really should have compared it to gustard x-20. might not have made a difference to the review though.

2 hours ago, katattack74 said:

Have my Ares for 4 months now.  Its a keeper, certainly keeps up with a similar sound signature to my vinyl rig that costs way heaps more.

Agreed.

I’ve had my Ares since mid February and love it. Although I personally like the SQ of my vinyl set up more than my DAC, the Ares gets heaps of use. Streaming Tidal using  Audirvana + through the Ares is excellent.

27 minutes ago, soundfan said:

Agreed.

Although I personally like the SQ of my vinyl set up more than my DAC, the Ares gets heaps of use.

Ditto, the Ares fills in the gap where i want to listen to music without the time/patience for critical listening - which i goto on vinyl.  Its dynamic, smooth, has very good bass and vocals are just spot on for something that costs under $1k. 

1 hour ago, soundfan said:

Agreed.

I’ve had my Ares since mid February and love it. Although I personally like the SQ of my vinyl set up more than my DAC, the Ares gets heaps of use. Streaming Tidal using  Audirvana + through the Ares is excellent.

I liked the ARES so much I ended up purchasing the Pontus for my main rig. Still use the ARES in my HeadFi set up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hi Five said:

Can some body help me ,looking at a Denafrips dac-68 r2r  on ebay. No real info on google about it. Just want to try R2R .

Cheers Jeff

I believe the dac-68  was the model before Ares with less input at the back.  for $30 more you can buy a brand new Ares.  IMO you would be better off buying the Ares

Edited by rudra

2 hours ago, misternavi said:

here’s another R2R dac/headphone amp/pre

It's a Sokeris DAM1021module. http://www.soekris.dk/

If you want the good one the DAC-1421 or  for EUR400!!! more the DAC-1541 if you need balanced outputs, see too much just for balanced version of the 1421

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this thread makes me want the Denafrips Terminator so bad, its aesthetically a masterpiece and since I'll need a pre I will get a lightspeed attenuator! Does it pair well with R2R Dacs?

According to the Denafrip's Australian Facebook page demos were available in Melbourne since late last year.

Edited by essencez

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2018 at 6:34 PM, christosd said:

Any SA owners of the Ares or other Denafrips around that could offer a quick listen at my house?  I'll supply good  wine and an Ayon cd5s cd/dac (1704K) for comparison. 

Potential GTG? I imagine there might be a few people locally who would be keen to listen

• Like 1

Ares owners...did you have to pay any duties when landed in Oz? My calcs puts the amount paid under the threshold of customs...right?

On a side note...I see that an enterprising seller on Singapore Ebay is asking SG $1070 for the Ares...almost SG$200 above retail...!

1 hour ago, rotur said:

Ares owners...did you have to pay any duties when landed in Oz? My calcs puts the amount paid under the threshold of customs...right?

On a side note...I see that an enterprising seller on Singapore Ebay is asking SG $1070 for the Ares...almost SG$200 above retail...!

No. No duties paid.

On 20/08/2017 at 12:31 AM, rocky500 said:

Interesting but he is selling a Dac himself. I had to do a double take as I think he put in one or two too many 0's for the price. ;)

$12000 Euros for this and its the CD-only 44.1kHz

Attr_2_500.jpg

I can remember when they were about $1800 euro. Inflation is a biatch.