Stupid Big Fugly Speakers!!!!

DSC_0416.JPG

These monsters are on their way to Melbourne from London.

Bought for a ridiculously low price.

I know that they can sound good, as I owned them from 1997 to 2007. The guy I sold them to (when I moved back here) traded them in on Focal Stella Utopias in 2014.

The dealer couldn't find a buyer for these, so I got them back for under 2K GBP

There will be a bit of work to do on them, but I am rapped to have got them back.

Bonus is the wife loves their look.

• Like 5

Are those dual 2001 Space Odyssey inspired boxes on the floor in the foreground the crossovers then?

" Passive external crossover (included): Size: 9 inches high x 14 inches wide x 36 inches deep. Weight: 30 lbs. "

• Like 1

Yes Crossover boxes included.

Also 4M Van Den Hul cables that link the crossovers to the speakers. You can see the cable harness (red and gold) in the picture.

They're over 20yrs old, but still a great speaker.

49 minutes ago, Nada said:

Excellent. Well done. Happy times ahead.

Thanks, although there is quite a bit of work to be done.

- The bass drivers are no longer original - swapped out by previous owner, though I have sourced a pair of the original alnico drivers.

- the bass cabinets are in need of some work, with the T-Nuts missing for a number of the bolts.

- The crossovers may have been modified or damaged.

There may be other issues that I have yet to assess.

12 minutes ago, Green Wagon said:

First order duelands :D

I wish!

Mundorf Supremes or Auricaps maybe.

Some of the cap values are quite large, and the critical parts in the midrange and tweeter were originally Sidereals.

Will defenitely replace the resistors with Duelunds and Mundorf MResists.

All the wiring in both the speakers and the crossovers is already solid core silver/teflon (tweeter/mids/midbass) and VDH Revelation on the bass.

14 minutes ago, Nada said:

How many of the drivers use Alnico magnets?

All of them.

All the drivers apart from the bass are open baffle, with the tweeter being a double ring alnico with no back.

The bass is a 10" paper cone in a 70L Infinite baffle box designed to be -10db @ 20Hz.

1 minute ago, dcathro said:

All of them.

All the drivers apart from the bass are open baffle, with the tweeter being a double ring alnico with no back.

The bass is a 10" paper cone in a 70L Infinite baffle box designed to be -10db @ 20Hz.

Impressive design. Wow.

1 minute ago, Nada said:

Impressive design. Wow.

In their day (first designed in 1993), they were intended to be state of the art.

Things have moved on since then, with high end speakers costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The basic ingredients of these (the drivers, open baffle, and first order xovers) are very good, and I am sure that with some TLC these can be made to sound very special.

10 minutes ago, Nada said:

Impressive design. Wow.

They have a number of strengths, and a few weak points.

Strengths: great articulation from top to bottom; great speed; no edge; great tonality; and a walk through soundstage.

Weak points: The distance from the woofer to tweeter means that they do not behave as a point source unless you are 15' away; the tweeteris a magnesium/alu dome, which is not as sweet as modern soft domes; they will not go super loud.

The last weakness is the reason the last owner traded them in. He liked playing techno and house music at club levels, and kept blowing them up.

21 minutes ago, dcathro said:

.......The last weakness is the reason the last owner traded them in. He liked playing techno and house music at club levels, and kept blowing them up.

What a mismatch.