bhobba

ML5

@Lenehan Audio

Mike, couple of quick one's I've been asked on Devialetchat forum:

• Ported or infinite baffle - My reply would be bottom ported, but anything else to add
  • Spring Footers - I said they isolate 3Hz, but is it right 3Hz (seems a very loooooow number)
  • Material on the baffle to absorbs reflections - appreciate it's not there as a foam surround to look good, but in relation to Tweeter thingamajig :huh:

As you can see my vaaaaaaaast Audiophile knowledge :P is being put to task here (now if it was something to do with Celtic :D or Whisky :drool: I could write a book, but speaker design :blink:)

9 hours ago, Lenehan Audio said:

Hi John. Many thanks for the great review ! I’ll go into a few of the improvements below

1. You hadn’t mentioned this ! Both woofer and tweeter have had their cheap brass male spade terminals replaced with pure copper tube .

In the case of the Seas T35 tweeter (already the worlds best I believe) the voice coil wire itself is crimped directly into the copper tube (no signal loss here compared to solder) see first pic .
In the second pic you can see the completed new terminal.

In the case of the woofer the voice coil tinsel leads are crimped directly into the ends of the copper tubes . Pic 3 shows the original brass spade connectors. Pic 4 shows the tinsel leads directly crimped into the new copper tubes . Pic 5 shows the end product ready for install
The driver terminal upgrade alone reduces termination losses significantly and improves detail retrieval to an amazing degree.

It's a shame you didn't think of this when you built my ML2 LImiteds - it sounds like a really nice upgrade, but I'm too lazy to move them. :) I wil definitely get the crossover upgrades you mentioned previously soon though - a big advantage of outboard crossovers!

9 hours ago, Lenehan Audio said:

Hi John. Many thanks for the great review ! I’ll go into a few of the improvements below

1. You hadn’t mentioned this ! Both woofer and tweeter have had their cheap brass male spade terminals replaced with pure copper tube .

In the case of the Seas T35 tweeter (already the worlds best I believe) the voice coil wire itself is crimped directly into the copper tube (no signal loss here compared to solder) see first pic .
In the second pic you can see the completed new terminal.

In the case of the woofer the voice coil tinsel leads are crimped directly into the ends of the copper tubes . Pic 3 shows the original brass spade connectors. Pic 4 shows the tinsel leads directly crimped into the new copper tubes . Pic 5 shows the end product ready for install
The driver terminal upgrade alone reduces termination losses significantly and improves detail retrieval to an amazing degree.

It's a shame you didn't think of this when you built my ML2 LImiteds - it sounds like a really nice upgrade, but I'm too lazy to move them. :) I wil definitely get the crossover upgrades you mentioned previously soon though - a big advantage of outboard crossovers!

Sorry - how do I delete duplicate comments?

Edited by ljmac

Ok ljmac we get it :yes:

(only joking mate, something must have went skewiff :turned: when you hit submit)

Edited by Celts88

Sponsor
4 hours ago, Celts88 said:

@Lenehan Audio

Mike, couple of quick one's I've been asked on Devialetchat forum:

• Ported or infinite baffle - My reply would be bottom ported, but anything else to add
  • Spring Footers - I said they isolate 3Hz, but is it right 3Hz (seems a very loooooow number)
  • Material on the baffle to absorbs reflections - appreciate it's not there as a foam surround to look good, but in relation to Tweeter thingamajig :huh:

As you can see my vaaaaaaaast Audiophile knowledge :P is being put to task here (now if it was something to do with Celtic :D or Whisky :drool: I could write a book, but speaker design :blink:)

Yes John.  Bottom ported ! And yes it's 3 hz that the Isolation work at .  Cheers Mike

On 17/05/2018 at 9:08 PM, Lenehan Audio said:

Yes John.  Bottom ported ! And yes it's 3 hz that the Isolation work at .  Cheers Mike

Transmission line is generlly considered th best but Mike has his own proprietary port alignment that to me sounds more like transmission line than ported.  When I first heard the ML3 many moons ago now I thought it was transmission line.   Mike said it was ported and I nearly fell over in shock.  No boom - nothing - just natural deep bass.   Mike said he has built transmission line speakers - and they indeed sound good - but the cost in ML3s would be considerable.   But with how good the bass is I dont know if its worthwhile,   I may talk him into building a transmission line speaker one  day - who knows - but remember since Mike lines his speakers with steel the cost may be prohibitive.

Yes both me and Rawl put a lot of  work into getting these speakers just right - and Mike has taken it even further.  The speakers have had a massive amount of work put into them.

Celts got Jupiter Copper bypassed - Dueland VSF not bypassed have a slight edge IMHO (both Mike and Rawl think the same) but its not much and you have to get VSF in lots of 10 so you need a few ordered at one time to go that route.  But Jupiter Copper along with Duelund are considered the best capacitors in the word - its purely a personal preference thing:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0514/jupiter_copper_foil_paper_wax_capacitor.htm

I find the Jupiter bypassed slightly bloomy or euphonic - Duelund dead accurate.  Despite this I still love listening to either.  Bottom line if you can afford it get some Jupiter's in critical spots - Mike knows where - you wont be sorry.   If Mike has a  number of orders Duelunds are also possible.

My Magnesium's will have Jupiter.  These days the Jupiter are a bit cheaper as well - it used to be the other way around.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba