ML5

bhobba

On 23/05/2018 at 7:03 AM, CedricH said:

Another very satisfied ML5 Reference owner and Lenehan Audio customer. 

snipped

On 23/05/2018 at 7:03 AM, CedricH said:

Thank you Sir for your years of research taking shape in the equipment that brings joy to my family.

Cheers Cedric.

@Lenehan Audio

IMG_0743.jpeg

ML5Reference Xover.jpg

Wow - and that applies to everything! Mike these speakers look incredible. 

Love the P2P crossovers.  :)

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zenelectro said:

Wow - and that applies to everything! Mike these speakers look incredible. 

Love the P2P crossovers.  :)

Terry

Hi Terry.     Come on mate you need a full house pair of ML5Refs ? ?   Mike

• Like 2

What would upgrading my tweeters entail [mention=106822]Lenehan Audio[/mention] ?

[mention=162494]Wongy[/mention] was dribbling in my ear through the phone the other day about them.

I didn't mind it actually.

Hi Daz
Whoo ! Ok there’s a bit involved .
1.First up we remove tweeter and faceplate then remove the brass/bronze male spade terminals .

2. Next up is to directly crimp copper tube to the Tweeter diaphragm voice coil wires .
We have to be careful ! I destroyed 2 $550 Tweeters during initial R&D .[emoji33][emoji31][emoji22]

3. Copper tube is Re terminated into the old Brass/Bronze male terminal spades.

4. Refit new 6mm Copper tweeter faceplate

5. Re terminate Xover ribbon wires into the tweeter copper tubes .

6. Reassemble and align with new baffle top foams .

7. The speaker must now be retuned because the original 130mm diameter faceplate produced a small amount of distortion .
This is caused by delayed reflection of
Energies which coincide with the wavelength of the faceplate diameter (approximately 3k and up)

The new faceplate is small ( 80mm X 50mm) and also very importantly Not circular. All this wouldn’t matter of course if we were using a very high distortion large solid baffle faceplate.

This is why box loudspeakers are generally no bloody good Lads !! ??‍♂️the drivers produce large amounts of time smearing and delayed reflections off the baffle .
Of course the ML5 hides its baffle from the drivers because it’s made of 57mm acoustically absorbent foam (its absorbent density tuned to the frequency wavelengths which need to be absorbed)

Holy Smoke !! >> is anyone still awake ? [emoji33]

Why can’t box Speakers compete with Electrostatic designs in some midrange areas ???
One of the major reasons of course is the ridiculous flat solid baffle !
Ok try cutting a piece of cardboard out 200mm X 200mm then cut a hole in the middle and talk through it ! HELLO ! Then ask someone if you voice sounds different, of course they will say YES ! Because it will sound very funny and colored.

I’ve just traded a pair of Quad 2912 full range electrostatics . So I’m going to have a GTG to compare them against ML5’s . I guess were looking at about 3 to 5 weeks time .
Perhaps expressions of interest would be good , I want to make it a big day .
Cheers. Mike Lenehan
  • Like 2

Mike

Still got that problem with my ML5's, they keep playing all these extra notes in the music and I don't know where it's coming from :rofl:

No joking mate there's all these extra notes, sounds, etc. that can now be clearly heard that I never noticed before. My wife is the same, as she said this to me the other day about hearing sounds that weren't there before (her idea of Hi-Fi is listening to Spotify on her iPhone, so she's not one to listen out for sounds, etc. in the music).

These ML5's are just sooooooooooooo much 'clearer' in the mid to top ends (resolving may be a better word, but I'm no good at putting into words the nuances of the music). I keep playing the same tunes I'm used to and for most of the songs there's always something different in the music. The only reason some songs (in my opinion) don't give more surprises is due to the lower quality level of the recording, i.e. the better the recording being feed to the ML5's the more they can accentuate the goodies within the recordings.

Mate these ML5's are way and above the best speakers I've ever heard. I've just been listening to a wee list of my music:

Paolo Nutini

Motörhead

Kasey Chambers

The Specials

John Butler Trio

Jim Reeves

Nick Cave

Baby Animals

The Cure

Zoë Keating

Human League

Patsy Cline

Mike Oldfield

Velvet Underground

Carpenters

Led Zepellin

Herbert Von Karajan

etc, etc.........

The list can keep going and in all of them I hear something different in the music :drool:

Edited by Celts88
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Celts88 said:

Mike

Still got that problem with my ML5's, they keep playing all these extra notes in the music and I don't know where it's coming from :rofl:

No joking mate there is all these extra notes, sounds, etc. that can now be clearly heard that I never noticed before. My wife is the same, as she said this to me the other day about hearing sounds that weren't there before (her idea of Hi-Fi is listening to Spotify on her iPhone, so she's not one to listen out for sounds, etc. in the music).

These ML5's are just sooooooooooooo much 'clearer' in the mid to top ends (resolving may be a better word, but I'm no good at putting into words the nuances of the music). I keep playing the same tunes I'm used to and for most of the songs there's always something different in the music. The only reason some songs (in my opinion) don't give more surprises is due to the lower quality level of the recording, i.e. the better the recording being feed to the ML5's the more they can accentuate the goodies within the recordings.

Mate these ML5's are way and above the best speakers I've ever heard. I've just been listening to a wee list of my music:

Paolo Nutini

Motorhead

Kasey Chambers

The Specials

John Butler Trio

Jim Reeves

Nick Cave

Baby Animals

The Cure

Zoe Keating

Human League

Patsy Cline

Mike Oldfield

Velvet Underground

Carpenters

Led Zepellin

Herbert Von Karajan

etc, etc.........

The list can keep going and in all of them I hear something different in the music :drool:

Yes John

I was listening to an album last week and discovered a metronome in the background ! Obviously this was considered safe to leave on the master because know one was ever going to hear this . Gone are the days when accurate and detailed meant a touch bright and slightly sharp .

In fact these are the things that seem to cover up real musical expression and detail .           Cheers Mike

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Lenehan Audio said:

I was listening to an album last week and discovered a metronome in the background

I was listening to some Ian Dury & the Blockheads the other day (Hit me with your Rhythm Stick) and half way through the song I had to play back a part. It sounded like a bird whistle, but I'd never noticed it in the song before.

Ok I realise a bird whistle is not up there with a metronome, but just the fact I've never heard it before was just another example of the ML5's resolving (unveiling) characteristics :cool:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bhobba said:

Freudian slip ?

I heard them both and can say for sure its close.   I wanted to do a more in depth comparison but  Mike never had enough free time to let me do that and I was busy watching the Commonwealth games anyway.  I didn't hear them to together long enough to make up my own mind.  Best to let those that did speak for themselves   But I will do a post later of a new DAC Mike has in his shop (Grandinote) that just simply blew me a way - as well as some others that have heard it. Best DAC I ever heard. God why does this happen I am trying to cut back on getting stuff and then something like this happens.  It never ends - but my spending needs to - will be selling a lot of my stuff soon and rationalizing my system.

Thanks

Bill

Mike said you were taken by the Grandinote dac, he offered to plug it in while I was there on Friday and I graciously declined his offer as I am in enough Hifi debt already, for now anyway. When I sell a motorcyle or two chances are Mike will end up with some more of my money. 

cheers Terry

cheers Terry

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TerryO said:

Mike said you were taken by the Grandinote dac, he offered to plug it in while I was there on Friday and I graciously declined his offer as I am in enough Hifi debt already, for now anyway. When I sell a motorcyle or two chances are Mike will end up with some more of my money. 

cheers Terry

cheers Terry

I checked out the Grandinote, I will never be able to afford it. Wonder if it his or someone else's

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bhobba said:

Freudian slip ?

I heard them both and can say for sure its close.   I wanted to do a more in depth comparison but  Mike never had enough free time to let me do that and I was busy watching the Commonwealth games anyway.  I didn't hear them to together long enough to make up my own mind.  Best to let those that did speak for themselves   But I will do a post later of a new DAC Mike has in his shop (Grandinote) that just simply blew me a way - as well as some others that have heard it. Best DAC I ever heard. God why does this happen I am trying to cut back on getting stuff and then something like this happens.  It never ends - but my spending needs to - will be selling a lot of my stuff soon and rationalizing my system.

Thanks

Bill

Mike said you were taken by the Grandinote dac, he offered to plug it in while I was there on Friday and I graciously declined his offer as I am in enough Hifi debt already, for now anyway. When I sell a motorcyle or two chances are Mike will end up with some more of my money that is unless he decides he would rather throw a leg back over a classic Gixxer again himself .

Not that I would ever try to tempt you Mike.. :winky:

cheers Terry

image.jpeg

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

Mike said you were taken by the Grandinote dac, he offered to plug it in while I was there on Friday and I graciously declined his offer as I am in enough Hifi debt already, for now anyway. When I sell a motorcyle or two chances are Mike will end up with some more of my money that is unless he decides he would rather throw a leg back over a classic Gixxer again himself .

Not that I would ever try to tempt you Mike.. :winky:

cheers Terry

image.thumb.jpeg.2a519aff271f7afd00ecd32685c5dd25.jpeg

That’s a mint 1100 Terry ! And the classic Blue/white . [emoji965]?[emoji41]. Mike
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TerryO said:

I think he mentioned it to you before I heard it.  I  was taken enough in that Mike said there is a new bit of gear I have you may like to hear.   Mike cant really comment on products he sells - of course he will be only too happy for you to hear it.   Well if Mike says he has a new product, he only stocks products he personally thinks are good,  that's enough for me to go down and hear it which I did from 2.30  - 4.30 Friday.   I was taken in what I read about it - but that's different to hearing the thing.  Taken by it would be an understatement - I was stunned.   But that is another thread - there were other factors as well but I will detail it in another thread.   I asked Mike the price  - $13.5 I think.   No small potatoes here - it will require careful thought - but then again I do have a lot of gear to sell.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 2

On 29/10/2017 at 6:32 PM, Lenehan Audio said:

This new Satori 7.5 inch has the big advantage of superb TS specs that predict an awesome bottom end and yet we also have a superb paper diaphragm ! WT ! This normally does not happen Lads !   I must admit to being a little sceptical , but we shall see . I'm still completing the kit speaker project at the moment but as soon as I'm finished I'm into it . 

Come on Mike - do the Papyrus next (Seas Exotic) - you have a pair of drivers and said they had the best specs you have seen except in one area - no bass.   An 8 inch driver but Mike says this will only do about ML1 bass.  Its for those into mid-range - not bass.  It will be a bit like this - maybe just a bit lower - we will see:

http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Exotica+Monitors

Just joking ?

Mike will get around to it when he can - I know Mike has the drivers.   Getting the time with all the projects he has in mind is not that easy

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

Not that hard Bill - as long as it is a floor stander...

http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Exotica+3

Mikes on it - he wants to build the stand as a subwoffer.  Those like me that are happy with ML1 type bass just need to get good stands - but they are not cheap either.   I however have other plans - computer speakers - how is that for weird.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jventer said:

I checked out the Grandinote, I will never be able to afford it. Wonder if it his or someone else's

Mike will stock it - it is that good.  At $13.5 k and the Direct Stream with Bridge (the Gradinote has bridge functionality built in) at about 9-10K I don't think its that outrageously priced and would fit nicely with the other gear he has.   Mike is careful about what gear he stocks - it cant be outrageously priced and must represent good value for money. I will do a separate write-up on this DAC.   Cheap it isn't - but outrageously priced it isn't either - you pay for what you get.   I can say it simply (insert rude word here - sh**'s) all over the DS IMHO. 

Don't worry I will do a full write up about what I heard.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bhobba said:

Come on Mike - do the Papyrus next (Peerless Exotic) - you have a pair of drivers and said they had the best specs you have seen except in one area - no bass.   An 8 inch driver but Mike says this will only do about ML1 bass.  Its for those into mid-range - not bass.  It will be as bit like this - maybe just a bit lower - we will see:

http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Exotica+Monitors

Just joking ?

Mike will get around to it when he can - I know Mike has the drivers.   Getting the time with all the projects he has in mind is not that easy

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill

.                Actually this new 7.5 Satori should produce exceptional bass ! Bass should hopefully in the ML5 class in respect of bass weight.    Cheers Mike Lenehan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lenehan Audio said:

Actually this new 7.5 Satori should produce exceptional bass ! Bass should hopefully in the ML5 class in respect of bass weight. 

I sorta figured that and fully understand why you would want to start on that before looking at the Seas Exotic - it will produce a better balanced speaker.  I know just about everyone that has heard the ML5 has got one so working on a speaker more along the ML5 lines is the logical step rather than the Seas.  Then maybe an update to the ML1 using the Satori 5 inch driver.  BTW guys into measurements have never measured a driver overall better than the Satori.  I know one day you will get around to something with the Seas 8 inch exotic Papyrus, you have the driver after all, which by reputation, bass aside, even exceeds the Satori.   Its probably due, like the tweeter, to the Alinko magnet it has being more linear than other magnets.  Plus because it's 94db sensitivity can be run even by the 4W amp I have down there just waiting to hook up to it.

All I have to say is go Mike, go.  Whatever you do will be worth listening to and likely like the ML5 - anyone that hears will get it - but now they will have more choice.   And I haven't talked about my Magnesium Limited yet - that's another thread - all I will say its a bit different to the ML5 but its a genuine contest people need to hear.  I feel with the Grandiote and my Magnesium's nearing finishing a GTG has to happen once it all comes to fruition of course.

Just listening to good old Harry live at Carnegie Hall right now.  It 96k and sounds great.  Now when I get my system fully finished we will see what its like then.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 2

On 23/05/2018 at 9:19 PM, Lenehan Audio said:

Hi Daz.        You are running Jantzen Superior Capacitors bypassed by Duelund Silver . Resistors are Duelund with FoilFlex internal wiring . From memory you decided on the Duelund bypass option near the end of the build ?.   Mke

Blame me for that.   I talked him into it.   Remember the capacitor comparison we did with another audiophile and I think Rawl99 as well.  The Jantzen Superior are pretty good by themselves.  But when bypassed are very close to much more expensive Jupiter Aluminium bypassed - better than the Jupiter's not bypassed and getting close to the Jupiter Copper not bypassed - the Aluminium bypassed is better - but not by much.  The Jupiter Copper bypassed is necessary to really beat it and of course the Duelund by itself does as well.   Funny thing about the Duelund is if bypassing it sounds better depends on the source.   Using a cheap but heavily upgraded Squeexebox the Duelund was better bypassed but with the the Killer DAC as source better not bypassed.  With the Cast it was always better bypassed - Mike as done a few of those now.  Could get them in the ML5 - but the expense - still it will likely be better again.  When getting the ML5 at least get the Jantzen bypassed in the critical spots - Mike can then call it Reference and its well worth it.

Will be ringing Mike tomorrow to decide finally on what capacitors will go into my Magnesium's - definitely Jupiter Copper bypassed in the critical areas - those in the signal path - but either the Jupiter Aluminium or Jantzen Superior bypassed elsewhere.  It will depend on just how much more expensive the Jupiter are.  Mike is a Jupiter dealer and I only know the retail price - its half the cost of the copper - what he will charge I do not know.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I've had ML2 Reference for 6 years. Despite having a little less bass heft and extension than I really would like, they have been so satisfying. That is until I heard what 3Hz isolation could do – first on ML5 early builds and then very precariously between a pair of ML2s and their stands. The effect is unbelievable and I was never going to be happy until my own speakers sounded like that. That was some time ago and now despite Mike's cleverness and good intentions, I have given up hope that a practical and elegant form of that technology will be made available for my ML2's.

So I'm left with no choice: I'm trading up to ML5's.

They'll be not-quite-reference spec, in that I'm going with Jantzen superior caps with Duelund silver bypass instead of full VSF, and whatever the better resistors are. Getting all the other copper bits – tweeter faceplate, woofer gasket, driver terminals and ribbon wiring. And of course those critical isolation feet.

Just like with my ML2's my wife is making life hard for Mike. Glossy painted slabs really aren't her thing. My ML2's were the first pair Mike made using solid timber instead of HDF, with the front baffle wrapped in a black fake leather. (They look great.) So of course my ML5's have to be different too: the top and sides and maybe the back will be veneered with a dark timber called wenge, and the woofer baffle will be a textured dark grey or black paint to blend in with the flecked foam baffles.

It'll be a good few weeks before delivery but Christmas is gonna be special this year. 

Love your work, Mike. Can't wait.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...