Naim Armageddon DIY kits

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone wad aware of any DIY kits for the Naim Armageddon. I'm thinking that I'll eventually want something like this for my Ariston RD110 SL turntable though the real thing appears a bit pricey.

I've read that the stock power supply in my Ariston is roughly equivalent to the Linn Basik which seems to get no respect so I figured that the Naim Armageddon would be a nice step up and seems simple enough to DIY compared to alternatives.

If there are no kits or ready built copies (or something else which would be a nice step forward) then I may save towards a Mose Hercules Gold instead though that really is about double what I would ultimately like to spend.

Thanks guys

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Why would you want to buy a Naim Armageddon ... DIY kit or the real thing?  All it is is an isolating transformer.  Don't you want 45rpm?  (I assure you, 12" 45s sound much better than their 33rpm equivalents.  :D )

And instead of a Mose/Hercules ... can I suggest the Phoenix 'Falcon' and 'Roadrunner'.

Andy

The Falcon is 110volts only, you would need the Eagle which is $525USD not including postage.

If you purchase a Hercules Mose direct from Edmund they are around $380USD including postage.

That sounds far more attractive to me. Much better value ;)

23 minutes ago, MattyW said:

That sounds far more attractive to me. Much better value ;)

Much cheaper, certainly ... but 'value' (for money) relates to the resulting SQ ... and you would have to compare side-by-side to decide which one gave better SQ.  My money is on the Phoenix.  ;)

Andy

The question though, is it worth it on my Ariston RD110 SL turntable?

I mean, how good is good enough?

Having now read a little on the Phoenix gear I suspect it is undoubtedly the best offering out there. I suspect it would be the most precise part of an aged system though. I'll have a listen to it in its stock form an decide where to go from there I think.

1 hour ago, MattyW said:

Then again, perhaps I could get the Phoenix Falcon initially, and the Roadrunner later down the track. Gives me an upgrade path.

Correct, Matt.  The Roadrunner is merely "the icing on the cake"! :)

The reason why I suggest it is better is that, AIUI, the Hercules is a copy of the Linn Valhalla - plus they extrapolated the concept to 45rpm.  So it's better than the Valhalla bcoz it provides 45rpm but it's based on 1980s technology - whereas the Falcon / Phoenix is 2000's technology.

BTW, the Falcon / Phoenix / Roadrunner is not "the best offering out there" - that honour rests with Steve Tuckett's "Number9" motor speed controller.  I've been using a prototype for 18 months but he is just about to release the Production version.  This will set you back several thou, though.

Andy

Haha, yes, I'll never spend that much. If the wife didn't kill me first, I'd probably have to sell it to pay for the divorce :s

Smaller amounts of money spread out over time I can get away with ;)

• 3 years later...

I've done one for my Thorens TD-160 super since 1989.
Used a DSE/Digitor 240/115V step down transformer to feed an exact 110V (via a few resistors) to the motor.
Lowers the noise floor, as isolates it from mains noise.
Also "Lingo'ed" upstream as I use a PS Audio P10 power regenerator for extra benefit.