Sign in to follow this  
clunt

Found a beautiful Encel from 1974!! now to get it singing

Hello clunt,

I was thinking you mentioned the new belt your bought is 1.3mm thick.

I think your turntable needs a 1.0mm thick belt to run at the correct speed.

If you get the 1.0mm rubber belt from the Ebay seller I mentioned you should be able to get the speed just about spot on....I hope...:popcorn:

Remember to use just a small dab of super glue at each end...not too much, then tape the glued ends down on a chopping board or the like to hold them in position...make sure they are evenly aligned before the glue sets>>>>>ACTUALLY BETTER TO TAPE THE ENDS DOWN FIRST!

Good luck with that...Vanch

Edited by monaro8

It WORKED!! Thanks for your help, its sitting almost perfectly still with the strobo disc now and sounds much better.
Couldnt notice the bump from the join at all either.
I really appreciate the suggestion :)

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Hey good work there....and YES of course it worked....:party:popcorn:

Was it the 1mm black rubber cord you used?

The bigger the cord size the faster the speed as I showed in my earlier speed tests.

For quick & easy speed checks, I downloaded "Turntabulator" through iTunes for $2.99 and use this on my iphone....you sit your phone on the spinning platter and in a few seconds it shows you the speed.

And finally, if your new custom made cord belt has some excess glue at the join, I found I can clip off the unwanted glue with nail clippers...they have a nice curve to them which helps too...just try not to clip your belt in half Ha ha!!!

Well done clunt...happy music

PS: I recently used this 1mm clear silicone cord on my JH turntable and it's excellent too....easily glues together with super glue!

Ebay Item No. 271953236807   Only $1.11 with Free post and 6 metres length (sorry I forgot to mention this sooner)

s-l1600.jpgp.jpg

Hey good work there....and YES of course it worked....:party:popcorn:
Was it the 1mm black rubber cord you used?

The bigger the cord size the faster the speed as I showed in my earlier speed tests.

For quick & easy speed checks, I downloaded "Turntabulator" through iTunes for $2.99 and use this on my iphone....you sit your phone on the spinning platter and in a few seconds it shows you the speed.

And finally, if your new custom made cord belt has some excess glue at the join, I found I can clip off the unwanted glue with nail clippers...they have a nice curve to them which helps too...just try not to clip your belt in half Ha ha!!!

Well done clunt...happy music

PS: I recently used this 1mm clear silicone cord on my JH turntable and it's excellent too....easily glues together with super glue!

Ebay Item No. 271953236807   Only $1.11 with Free post and 6 metres length (sorry I forgot to mention this sooner)
  s-l1600.jpgp.jpg

Any other useful mods tp the JH? The superflimsy platter and weak motor limit it a bit.

On the positive side, I've put the Grace F8 from this arm onto my SL-23 and WOW! I havent heard such clean detailed natural sound before. Granted I'm a bit of a newb to quality gear, but still. Im very impressed :)

The Grace F-8 is a superb cartridge and will sound great on any turntable...certainly far superior to the standard Technics cartridge which comes with the Technics SL-23.

The Technics is a good cartridge mind you...but not in the same league as the F-8.

So your JH is playing now...and your SL-23 is singing.

It's a wonderful year for hi fi....:popcorn:

The Grace F-8 is a superb cartridge and will sound great on any turntable...certainly far superior to the standard Technics cartridge which comes with the Technics SL-23.

The Technics is a good cartridge mind you...but not in the same league as the F-8.

So your JH is playing now...and your SL-23 is singing.

It's a wonderful year for hi fi....:popcorn:

Its really nice. Thanks again for everyones help.

On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 11:16 PM, monaro8 said:

s-l1600.jpgp.jpg

Don't laugh...

Dental floss works too.

Glad to hear the F8 is singing clunt! :thumb: Try it on the Grace arm......mmmm.:)