Found a beautiful Encel from 1974!! now to get it singing

30 minutes ago, clunt said:

Im gonna attempt the dodgy spindle solution I reckon.

Hi Clint 

By spindle do you mean the pulley on the motor? I think to make the TT go slower you would have to make the  Motor pulley /  Spindle,   smaller . Much easier to make the platter bigger plus easier to revers and adjust if you just use tape.

Some people use use wide elastic bands but that is when the platter pulley is smaller , not  when the external face of the platter is used as the pulley , like yours is.

Hi Clint 
By spindle do you mean the pulley on the motor? I think to make the TT go slower you would have to make the  Motor pulley /  Spindle,   smaller . Much easier to make the platter bigger plus easier to revers and adjust if you just use tape.
Some people use use wide elastic bands but that is when the platter pulley is smaller , not  when the external face of the platter is used as the pulley , like yours is.

Ive tried to add a mm or 2 of tape to the platter. Makes it super ugly so I was gonna attempt the smaller spindle first. Was too nervous to try to modify the spindle I have to be smaller as thats not easy to undo.
Anyone clever enough to design a cheap freq generator to hook up to a transformer for this unit?
Cheers

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Hi clunt 

There are speed boxes that people use with REGA , Project and some other TT  but they cost hundreds of dollars and would be worth more than the TT and may not work with this motor. 

I can understand your situation in that you have acquired a TT  , spent some time on it and  $40 on a new belt and are reluctant to give up on it . I felt the same way when I had acquired a new belt and was up to motor number three but some times you have to walk away and accept you would be better to put your time and money and time in to a TT that will give a better out come.

IMO you should consider removing the arm and keeping it for when you come across a more deserving TT and then  advertising the TT on gumtree as a non running project for $50 negotiable :)

Edited by EV Cali

11 hours ago, EV Cali said:

Perhaps, like me, he has got so disheartened with it he has taken my advice.

"The best thing you can do is carefully remove the arm and put the rest of it in the bin". 

I could be totally wrong on this, but the speed is set by the ratio of the size of the pulley to the size of what it is placed round on the platter. Just like the large and small  cogs on a bicycle.

So it is hard to see how a thicker or thinner belt would make any difference.

The TT could be made to go slower by increasing the size of the platter ,with some electrical tape warped round it.

Actually originally I thought the same...the belt thickness should not make any difference...until I tried a 2mm thick belt then a 2.5mm thick belt on the same turntable and was stunned when the speed changed.

The same pulley on the same turntable at 33.3RPM delivered different speeds due to the belt thickness....this occurred on a JH turntable and also a Connoisseur BD1 turntable where the belt runs on the outer rim of the platter.

8 hours ago, clunt said:

Ive tried to add a mm or 2 of tape to the platter. Makes it super ugly so I was gonna attempt the smaller spindle first. Was too nervous to try to modify the spindle I have to be smaller as thats not easy to undo.
Anyone clever enough to design a cheap freq generator to hook up to a transformer for this unit?
Cheers

Don't mess up the platter or the spindle...it is the belt thickness...:anyone:

Has anyone else had this experience...belt thickness v speed?

Why?

I think it is this...a 1.5mm round cord type belt [not the usual flat belt] sits in the pulley differently compared to a 2mm or 2.5mm thick cord type belt.

The pulley is also rounded inside where the belt wraps around the pulley hence a smaller belt has a smaller contact area on the pulley...a thicker belt has a larger contact area and so on.

I have done this test and found this to be the case. 

Edited by monaro8

Don't mess up the platter or the spindle...it is the belt thickness...:anyone:
Has anyone else had this experience...belt thickness v speed?

Why?

I think it is this...a 1.5mm round cord type belt [not the usual flat belt] sits in the pulley differently compared to a 2mm or 2.5mm thick cord type belt.

The pulley is also rounded inside where the belt wraps around the pulley hence a smaller belt has a smaller contact area on the pulley...a thicker belt has a larger contact area and so on.

I have done this test and found this to be the case. 

Well, this might change my approach. Ill do a test with dental floss abd xhexk the speed, might be time to blow another 50 bux on a thinner belt lol

Save your 50 bux....look on Ebay for "rubber cord"

Here....eBay item number: 272231302283

You can select which thickness you require...2mm thick for example is AU$8.04 with Free Postage.

When you have the rubber cord, it does have nice stretch to it too, just measure the length around the platter and pulley...maybe allow about .5 cm to 1 cm shorter so it holds reasonably firmly onto the pulley but not TOO tight.

Cut to size straight up and down for a square edge with a Stanley knife...I use and old wooden chopping board, place the ends together and tape the cord onto chopping board with masking tape to hold the ends in postion...then use some super glue...just a drop onto the ends...place the ends together to bond...check they are lined up correctly and not crooked...let them sit for an hour or so.

Remove the tape...ease the belt carefully off the board...give it a bit of a stretch to see the glue has bonded properly [any excess glue can be clipped off with some nail clippers...haha]

And if all has gone well....you just made your own belt for $8.04 and a drop of super glue...and some patience. 

Maybe buy a 1.5mm cord and 2.5 mm cord and see which does the trick...still well under 50 bux.

Hope this helps...Vanch 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by monaro8

15 hours ago, monaro8 said:

Why?

The size of the belt,  the contact area of the belt and the length of the belt  is of no relevance to the speed of the turntable .

This is a simple law of Physics.

Why?

What you were noticing is that on a curved pulley a larger belt will not sit as low in the pulley as the correct size smaller belt.

The affect of this is to make the pulley size larger.

It is the size of the pulleys that determines the speed. How many rotations of the first pulley it takes to rotate the second pulley one turn.  

Making the motor pulley larger , by use of a larger thickness belt, will make the TT go faster ,as it will take fewer turns of the small pulley to turn the lager pulley one rotation.

This is the opposite affect to the one clunt is looking for.

I assume at $40 clunt purchased the correct size belt for the JH  pulley .

The problem is that the motor is not a proper TT motor and is not up to the job.

Also splicing may be ok for an o ring but the joint on a TT belt will be noticed.

I spliced a belt for a TT, just so I could test it worked before I purchased the correct belt, and although it sounded ok to me at first,  by looking at the strobe I could see every time the glued area went round the motor pulley the speed slowed slightly.

The tension of the belt is important , too loose and it could slip or fall off, too tight it could pull the pulley out of alignment and it could make it not possille to change speed as the belt will not easily move from one part of the pulley to the other.

clunt could get a better motor and platter but he would then really have a different TT   so what would be the point.

Edited by EV Cali

Good morning you may be correct with this....

"Making the motor pulley larger , by use of a larger thickness belt, will make the TT go faster ,as it will take fewer turns of the small pulley to turn the lager pulley one rotation."

I have made at least 10 of these cord type belts myself and yes if you use too much glue it will cause a "small bump" where it meets the pulley...so make sure to use just a dab of super glue and make sure you align the joined ends precisely....this small bump may have a slight affect on the speed for a millisecond where it meets the pulley...I can not hear any difference in the music while playing.

All I know is that I just did a test on my Connoisseur BD1 turntable and found these speed readings>>>>

1.0 mm belt speed.....29.7 RPM

1.5mm belt speed....31.0 RPM

2.0mm belt speed....33.3 RPM

Edited by monaro8

3 hours ago, monaro8 said:

Good morning you may be correct with this....

"Making the motor pulley larger , by use of a larger thickness belt, will make the TT go faster ,as it will take fewer turns of the small pulley to turn the lager pulley one rotation."

I have made at least 10 of these cord type belts myself and yes if you use too much glue it will cause a "small bump" where it meets the pulley...so make sure to use just a dab of super glue and make sure you align the joined ends precisely....this small bump may have a slight affect on the speed for a millisecond where it meets the pulley...I can not hear any difference in the music while playing.

All I know is that I just did a test on my Connoisseur BD1 turntable and found these speed readings>>>>

1.0 mm belt speed.....29.7 RPM

1.5mm belt speed....31.0 RPM

2.0mm belt speed....33.3 RPM

Hi monaro

If you are happy with the belts you have made that is all that matters but I would not be happy with a belt that had a slight variation in speed 33 times per minute.

I have no doubt you found the speed results  you mention.

As I said the thicker the belt the more it will ride out from the bottom of a curved pulley and act like a larger pulley.

But that does not mean that you should control the speed of a TT by using belts that do not fit the pulley.

You asked the question     it is the belt thickness...:anyone:       Why? 

Are you still saying that you think the likely cause of the speed difference  is  "a smaller belt has a smaller contact area on the pulley...a thicker belt has a larger contact area and so on". and not prepared to accept the reason I gave . If this is the case it is a bit strange you asked the question in the first place.

Fair comment...I really do not know Why?

It was just a guess...I guess :)

For me it means: 

A. I can play records on my turntable which would otherwise not be used

B. for a fraction of the cost of buying a manufacturer made belt...which should be better of course (unless it is playing at the wrong speed)

C. I can not hear any difference in the music where the glued part of the belt hits the pulley.

Like I said....do not use "too much glue"....just a small dab of super glue on each end of the cord....make sure you align them perfectly when joining the ends together...

this is made easier by using masking tape to hold down each end of the rubber cord onto a chopping board or the like, checking the joins are precise, then let it dry.

I used this procedure this morning and it took me 5 minutes to make a belt with a near seem less join...plays beautifully....in fact I was able to make 2 belts from the one cord purchased

Before gluing the ends I measured the cord length for future reference to fit that particular turntable.

Hope this helps other members with similar problems....:welcome:

• Like 1

I used a big O ring for my JH   TT  as I thought it would be cheaper than an actual belt being sold specifically for the TT.

Unfortunately it was almost the same price !

So about four time more that the DIY  belt 

Forget hardware stores. Try engineering services and supply companies, they use this stuff all the time. Companies that service large heavy duty hydraulic equipment like cranes will stock them as well. That is typically where o rings of this size are used. They stock them by the hundreds, so have the buying power to supply cheaply. One thing to be aware of though, many of them have a minimum invoice value which may be $50 or more. Cash over the counter with no invoice usually sorts this. ;) 

• Like 2

Hello clunt,

I was thinking you mentioned the new belt your bought is 1.3mm thick.

I think your turntable needs a 1.0mm thick belt to run at the correct speed.

If you get the 1.0mm rubber belt from the Ebay seller I mentioned you should be able to get the speed just about spot on....I hope...:popcorn:

Remember to use just a small dab of super glue at each end...not too much, then tape the glued ends down on a chopping board or the like to hold them in position...make sure they are evenly aligned before the glue sets>>>>>ACTUALLY BETTER TO TAPE THE ENDS DOWN FIRST!

Good luck with that...Vanch

Edited by monaro8

It WORKED!! Thanks for your help, its sitting almost perfectly still with the strobo disc now and sounds much better.
Couldnt notice the bump from the join at all either.
I really appreciate the suggestion :)

• Like 2