Sign in to follow this  
Rob181

Falls Audio DHT Pre

Well here are the internals of my DHT Pre...& like @kelossus I am not technically minded to know if the wiring does make a difference...

I have not had the opportunity to hear it yet (it has only recently been completed & it is still with the builder...Falls Audio)...but those who have are VERY enthusiastic...

RB DHT PRE 2.jpg

47 minutes ago, Steve M said:

That looks great Rob, any shots of her on top?? :unsure:

Steve your wish is my command...separate power supply then "top side"...

RB DHT Power Supply.jpg

RB DHT PRE 1.jpg

Edited by Rob181

Wow Rob!! You did not disappoint absolutely beautiful timber work and presentation of vintage transformers and oil filled/paper capacitors.

Is that aged curly sheoak or Tassie oak in the chassis ...I think I'm in love. :love

steve

14 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

Steve your wish is my command...separate power supply then "top side"...

RB DHT Power Supply.jpg

RB DHT PRE 1.jpg

Very nice Rob! Congratulations on your new preamp! I have heard Falls Audio creations, I love them!

Perhaps time to upgrade your preamp casing Paul? I have always been recommending this casing over anything else, looks and sounds great!! @hedalfa

12 hours ago, Rob181 said:

RB DHT Power Supply.jpg

RB DHT PRE 1.jpg

Nice cabinet. Is that wood silky oak?

@SteveM & @Nada

@fell off the boat

The wood is Silky Oak...it was an old desk I had that had been left exposed to the elements...the top had split & was in poor condition...

I dismantled it & Paul's brother build the cabs from the pieces of timber I gave him...did a bloody good job to...but not cheap...

I have had a NOS Dac built at the same time...notice the similarities...

IMG_6288.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg

1 hour ago, Rob181 said:

@SteveM & @Nada

@fell off the boat

The wood is Silky Oak...it was an old desk I had that had been left exposed to the elements...the top had split & was in poor condition...

I dismantled it & Paul's brother build the cabs from the pieces of timber I gave him...did a bloody good job to...but not cheap...

IMG_6288.jpg

Beautiful cabinets, but let down by those knobs IMHO. Everyone else is a critic on this thread ;)

Edited by enikoy

45 minutes ago, Steve M said:

Yes, the 101D is a bit tight and lacks bloom in the bass.

I heard that in a certain 101D based preamp too but I imagine with another topology eg different output transformers and caps it might sound very different?

3 minutes ago, enikoy said:

Beautiful cabinets, but let down by those knobs IMHO. Everyone else is a critic on this thread ;)

Personally I think the silky oak wood should have been weathered for another 10 years to improve sound quality by being matured on the south side of the deck to achieve a slightly more transparent blush in the upper mid-range. Also the actually component layout is far too neat and suggests the builder lacks flair and panache.  How dare a fellow Aussie think he can build something outstanding and be better then mediocre.:wacko:

1 hour ago, Rob181 said:

IMG_6287.jpg

That looks excellent Rob. Youve done brilliantly.

Can you fill us in on the build:

? tube rectification

? volume control

?transformer output

?TDA1541a

This thread is wandering beautifully off topic so lets keep up the good work. :)

@enikoyMy knob...how dare you Sir criticise my knob...I will have you know that in the flesh my knob looks very upmarket...

2 hours ago, Rob181 said:

@SteveM & @Nada

@fell off the boat

IMG_6288.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg

@Rob181Fantastic!!! That's probably the best KillerDAC case I've ever seen :love:love

You'll have one bloody amazing system! (Looks and sound) :thumb:

@fell off the boat...following is a comment I made in a PM...

We are experimenting with chokes at the moment...you will note this 1 has a Tamura 4004...I have just sent him a Tango MC 10 200D & he/we will compare the 2...

Craig believes the combination of the wood/copper has improved the sonics...that makes my day considering I am not a "techie" & was my idea for that very reason...

1 hour ago, Rob181 said:

@enikoyMy knob...how dare you Sir criticise my knob...I will have you know that in the flesh my knob looks very upmarket...

Next thing I'll be criticising your driving ;)

The DAC & amp have such a great Art Deco look, I'd have to change the knobs.

Maybe even "chicken heads"! 

chook.JPG

Yes Rob, very very nice TDA1541 Killerdac build :thumb:  I've got one of those too just an uglier version, tuned by the infamous Kajak12 and sounds top notch.

Steve

Edited by Steve M