Falls Audio DHT Pre

Rob181

Well here are the internals of my DHT Pre...& like @kelossus I am not technically minded to know if the wiring does make a difference...

I have not had the opportunity to hear it yet (it has only recently been completed & it is still with the builder...Falls Audio)...but those who have are VERY enthusiastic...

RB DHT PRE 2.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

Steve your wish is my command...separate power supply then "top side"...

RB DHT Power Supply.jpg

RB DHT PRE 1.jpg

Very nice Rob! Congratulations on your new preamp! I have heard Falls Audio creations, I love them!

Perhaps time to upgrade your preamp casing Paul? I have always been recommending this casing over anything else, looks and sounds great!! @hedalfa

• Like 1

@SteveM & @Nada

@fell off the boat

The wood is Silky Oak...it was an old desk I had that had been left exposed to the elements...the top had split & was in poor condition...

I dismantled it & Paul's brother build the cabs from the pieces of timber I gave him...did a bloody good job to...but not cheap...

I have had a NOS Dac built at the same time...notice the similarities...

IMG_6288.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rob181 said:

@SteveM & @Nada

@fell off the boat

The wood is Silky Oak...it was an old desk I had that had been left exposed to the elements...the top had split & was in poor condition...

I dismantled it & Paul's brother build the cabs from the pieces of timber I gave him...did a bloody good job to...but not cheap...

IMG_6288.jpg

Beautiful cabinets, but let down by those knobs IMHO. Everyone else is a critic on this thread ;)

Edited by enikoy
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Steve M said:

Yes, the 101D is a bit tight and lacks bloom in the bass.

I heard that in a certain 101D based preamp too but I imagine with another topology eg different output transformers and caps it might sound very different?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, enikoy said:

Beautiful cabinets, but let down by those knobs IMHO. Everyone else is a critic on this thread ;)

Personally I think the silky oak wood should have been weathered for another 10 years to improve sound quality by being matured on the south side of the deck to achieve a slightly more transparent blush in the upper mid-range. Also the actually component layout is far too neat and suggests the builder lacks flair and panache.  How dare a fellow Aussie think he can build something outstanding and be better then mediocre.:wacko:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob181 said:

IMG_6287.jpg

That looks excellent Rob. Youve done brilliantly.

Can you fill us in on the build:

? tube rectification

? volume control

?transformer output

?TDA1541a

This thread is wandering beautifully off topic so lets keep up the good work. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob181 said:

@SteveM & @Nada

@fell off the boat

IMG_6288.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg

@Rob181Fantastic!!! That's probably the best KillerDAC case I've ever seen :love:love

You'll have one bloody amazing system! (Looks and sound) :thumb:

@fell off the boat...following is a comment I made in a PM...

We are experimenting with chokes at the moment...you will note this 1 has a Tamura 4004...I have just sent him a Tango MC 10 200D & he/we will compare the 2...

Craig believes the combination of the wood/copper has improved the sonics...that makes my day considering I am not a "techie" & was my idea for that very reason...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob181 said:

@enikoyMy knob...how dare you Sir criticise my knob...I will have you know that in the flesh my knob looks very upmarket...

Next thing I'll be criticising your driving ;)

The DAC & amp have such a great Art Deco look, I'd have to change the knobs.

Maybe even "chicken heads"! 

chook.JPG

23 minutes ago, enikoy said:

Next thing I'll be criticising your driving ;)

The DAC & amp have such a great Art Deco look, I'd have to change the knobs.

Maybe even "chicken heads"! 

chook.JPG

Very nice. Seriously retro cool look, Is it OK if I rip off your design?

• Like 1

@ Rob181 - I think the way your investing loads of money in our local craftsman is laudable. They need our support to thrive. Your a good bloke. The funny thing in my experience is the local hand built boutique gear like your  getting built has often sounded better as well as looking heaps better to me then top overseas designed gear.

Nada...wiser heads than mine have steered me towards Falls Audio...

Paul is a great bloke & a very good builder plus locally based on the Gold Coast...I have heard some of his builds but not a DHT Pre...

It was the CSLS that started this project & in my opinion the best value tube Pre I have heard...the realistic, almost holographic, staging of the music to the walls & ceiling was sensational...

I am in two minds on speaker choice & the system configuration may need to change...we will see...

1 hour ago, Rob181 said:

@fell off the boat...following is a comment I made in a PM...

We are experimenting with chokes at the moment...you will note this 1 has a Tamura 4004...I have just sent him a Tango MC 10 200D & he/we will compare the 2...

Craig believes the combination of the wood/copper has improved the sonics...that makes my day considering I am not a "techie" & was my idea for that very reason...

@Rob181 Rob, if you could try some nice vintage UTC or Chicago chokes for comparison that would be good so that you can tune your system even further. Tamura and Tango transformers are great but whether they suit your system...only you can find out :)

Wood and copper, the combination I love the most. I suspect that this is one of the main reasons why Steve's type 50 amp performs better than other amps he has had in his system.

I have been really busy with work lately but normally I let Craig know when there's a tasty vintage choke/component on the net for him to buy. Craig is awesome and I trust his opinion, you're in good hands :)