Wilson Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

One of the worst cases of topic drift in recent memory and I blame our tame cretin for that.

@ The Warnambool Kid. Your gut thoughts on your new direction, no guesses or maybes but the first idea that keeps popping into your head(no..not the f-off one...the other one)  Where are you heading? 

I love the Monkey Coffins. Sir Zing-a-ling has heard them and The Laird of Eggnog has sat next to me with the Smiling Assassin watching on grinning his Cheshire grin and I loved their accuracy and their ability to keep you looking and listening: How can such ugly ugly boxes produce that sound. Sugden pre'power combo top of the line was one session and huge boat anchor McIntosh power combo valued at the Tads in one amp was the other occasion.

Buy them at the ten K he wants and you'd end up with a true lemon as far as resale goes but the sound, the reproduction. Only one pair in Australia and he has them(Stereophonic).

*Ignore the Qlder he's got no idea. Who puts a Mack in front of a bowl? Pfft!

This is like a review from 6moons, not sure who understands this other than the author.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

What have you done since they've moved on YM? While no where near the same league as your TAD's having recently sold my Magico S1's and replacing them temporarily with some Dynaudio Focus 110's I'm experiencing some serious high resolution withdrawals. It's a frustrating thing!  

• 1 month later...
Guest yamaha_man

Great stuff, they are beasts. Would love to hear them one day  :thumb:

When l work out the admission fee i'll let you know.  :thumb:

• 4 months later...

Yes there are some current Owners according to their signature lines--I'm sure they will chime in to help

I'm not current owner but have had Watt Pup 2/3s,6's and X-1's--happy to answer any Q's

Good luck,

Willco

• Like 1

I have fond memories of the W/P 6. It addressed a slight mid-bass hump in the W/P 5.1's bandwidth and improved on the overall dynamics (low level detail and was explosive at the other extreme). The Sasha (version 1) was a phenomenal speaker that built upon all the attributes of its W/P 8 predecessor.  

The Alexia is the best I've owned but it's a rung up the ladder, a larger speaker with massive scale. It's quite fussy with set-up/room positioning and ancillary gear but if you get it right it disappears while communicating the music. Image of my current set-up below.thumb_DSCF4543_1024.jpg

Cheers,

EK

• Like 7

Thanks.

Wilsons can sound fantastic both with solid state and valve gear.

Having said that, the Alexia in particular (but also the others) thrive with high quality/high current solid state. You'll get the full dynamic expression of the considerable bass power the speakers are capable of. Recently, I was using Parasound JC1 monoblocks and they were superb. The better the amps the better the sound, obviously as with all good speakers, but perhaps even more so with W/P8, Sasha and Alexia.

The amp I run right now is the Gryphon Antileon EVO and it's magnificent.

I've had great results with the Audia Flight Strumento stereo, Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated, Thrax Heros, Audio Research Ref 150SE, VTL MB125, Technical Brain monos, McIntosh Mc452 and many others (it's a long list, I've been doing this for many years).

If you are looking at a pair of Wilsons and have more specific questions feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

EK

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...