stevoz

What in Analogue Have You Bought Today?

Add in Love over Gold by Dire Straits and for something completely different Simply Red Picture Book and Goldie Timeless if you want to test the bass response from your system.( be careful around 5 minutes on track one) it can damage very good speakers.

35 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Just get your favourite Gen X music on vinyl......that should do it.👌🙂

The only thing I would add (and please give me examples where I’m wrong) is that hip-hop & rap don’t seem to get a lot of ‘uplift’ that the OP is after. Kendrick, RTJ, Drake don’t come through. Something instrument driven or complex. I found 80’s synth (new order, depeche) blew my mind 😃 . New stuff: Floating Points, Burial, Lana & Weeknd all come across well. Hope that helps

25 minutes ago, Eagleeyes said:

Add in Love over Gold by Dire Straits and for something completely different Simply Red Picture Book and Goldie Timeless if you want to test the bass response from your system.( be careful around 5 minutes on track one) it can damage very good speakers.

I did love that bass-lovers thread we had going! So much fun.

41 minutes ago, The Spider said:

The only thing I would add (and please give me examples where I’m wrong) is that hip-hop & rap don’t seem to get a lot of ‘uplift’ that the OP is after. Kendrick, RTJ, Drake don’t come through. Something instrument driven or complex. I found 80’s synth (new order, depeche) blew my mind 😃 . New stuff: Floating Points, Burial, Lana & Weeknd all come across well. Hope that helps

Eew! I wasn't suggesting rap crap.😄

Isn't New Order and DM Gen X music? I was into a lot of 80's synth back then and I thought I was Gen X!😲

Edited by stevoz

31 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Eew! I wasn't suggesting rap crap.😄

Isn't New Order and DM Gen X music? I was into a lot of 80's synth back then and I thought I was Gen X!😲

Interestingly what kicked it off for me was tidying my parents house and removing the LPs. Early / mid 80s is when we stopped buying records and went CD as a family. Old player was kaput, so traded it in for the Rega. So playing INXS The Swing has been fun. And older siblings 70s stuff (Marcia Hines, ABBA) I'll play sometime soon. Next step (for a different thread) is cleaning LP records... 

Just bought Lateralus by Tool.

4 LP picture disc set.
Sounds horrible though. 
I’m new to vinyl and have just read that picture discs are no good.
It’s honestly unlistenable... looks good though ha 😐

14 minutes ago, Bcdesign said:

Just bought Lateralus by Tool.

4 LP picture disc set.
Sounds horrible though. 
I’m new to vinyl and have just read that picture discs are no good.
It’s honestly unlistenable... looks good though ha 😐

You only buy picture discs once, only up from here 👍

Today's purchase - Musical Fidelity V90 LPS phono stage for my LOMC needs. One word, - fantastic.

Tomorrow's purchase - Paul Kelly, "Songs from the South" triple 12 inch.

Here's a couple of images from the manufacturer:

v90 lps 1.jpg

v90 lps 2.jpg

Edited by norman

3 hours ago, Raffinator said:

Ok, newbie question here. Just set up my first record player (Rega RP2). I'm after an album suggestion that would make a Gen X like me sit up and take notice compared to my large digital collection and streaming. If not a specific album, which genre? What would give me "the bug"? 

to offset some of the genX classics being suggested here are some more recent releases: 

Random Access Memories - Daft Punk

Skin - Flume

Eat the Elephant - A Perfect Circle

Eternal Return - Sarah Blasko 

then this classic reborn (2017 repress) 

Kick by INXS

2xVinyl, LP, 45 RPM, Album, Remastered

Enjoy the journey and welcome aboard! 

PS - discogs is also a good reference for a quick check on pressing reviews, although there may not always be any specifically for the release you're looking at

Edited by wasabijim

More to the point...."What Could I Have Bought Last Sunday?!". 😲

Apparently there was a Record Fair, just up the road in Bendigo last Sunday. Why did I not know about this??

Bloody Facebook promoted and I don't do Facebook..... It did have an 'entry fee', which I'm dubious about but being at a motel, there is overheads to cover I suppose.

26 'long tables' of records and other memorabilia and comics(?) apparently.

Next year maybe.....🙄

https://scontent.fmel3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/74327179_2624661830906072_5006375705995378688_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQmtVOoJhTAXnMAoiJZ4rF1aldOcIlN92rZFj-3PzPa7O0DsVqgCtqSp1oI4vD2nlQo&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel3-1.fna&oh=55dde9986b6ca48cf64625361396d084&oe=5E48A42A

13 hours ago, awayward said:

You only buy picture discs once,

You would think by now they would be able to manufacture nice sounding picture discs.  I don't know if anyone is working on this, but it could make them quite a bit of moolah.

32 minutes ago, stevoz said:

I don't do Facebook...

F*CK facebook!!!

On 27/09/2016 at 4:27 PM, YCC said:

I managed to find coupla LPs that's been a bit hard to find... Blodwyn Pig's "Ahead Rings Out" and David Lindley's "El Rayo X". Hope they make it safely across the great Ocean and to my door!

Had them on cassette long ago, so looking forward to getting reacquainted.

That Lindley one is an all timefave

Hi All,

Lashed out and purchased the David Bowie 13 LP Box Set, David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977-1982

Bowie2.jpg.476cbcbdb0bd3c43e929fa50a11e8103.jpg

13LP David Bowie box set that includes remastered versions of arguably his most critically acclaimed albums, including the so-called ‘Berlin Trilogy’ of Low, Heroes and Lodger and 1980’s Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps), his last studio album for RCA.

In addition to the remastered version, the box set will also feature 1979’s Lodger album (which delivered the hits D.J. and Boys Keep Swinging) newly REMIXED by Tony Visconti. This remix was started “with David’s blessing” before his passing in January last year. Visconti has revisited the original multi-tracks and remixed the album “to better highlight the album’s nuances”. This version of the album will also feature newly ‘remixed’ artwork featuring unseen images from the original cover photographic session from the archive of the Estate of photographer Duffy. This remix of Lodger is exclusive to this box set (along with the Re:Call 3 compilation, more of which below) and also won’t be available in any of the digital packages.

The live album Stage (which was issued in 1978 between Heroes and Lodger) is included here in both the original version (exclusively on yellow vinyl in the LP box) and the 2005 reissue; the latter restored the original running order and added some bonus tracks. In fact. two more (previously unreleased) bonus tracks are added to the version in this new box set – The Jean Genie and Suffragette City – taking the track count to 22.

Other content of note is a “Heroes” EP, on a separate disc, with four foreign language variants, and the third ‘Re:Call’ compilation. 

JJ

Today's new vinyl - David Bowie, "Black Star". Haven't played it yet (but I will). Looking forward to hearing it....

It has the start cutout in the cover so you cab see the vinyl inside, which is in a touch, hard acrylic sleeve that won't be a long-term home for the record, it will go into a more forgiving inner.

EDIT - Listening now. Nice and quiet vinyl, great dynamics, solid bass drum sound. Excellent!

Also just noticed that the double opening sleeve will fit the disc in the rear pocket in a new inner. In there I found a beautiful glossy booklet, a surprise!

And the design of the package is immaculate - the inside of the cardboard is also black instead of the usual beige unfinished card surface.

Edited by norman

"Songs From the South" vinyl was not in stock yesterday so I went elsewhere and got it today. Looking forward to a spin tonight.

I also noticed that Bowie's vinyl of "Heathen" was in stock too - is this a good listen? If so I will grab it too.

Coming (already ordered) soon, a copy of Jonn Mayer's "Contiuum",  on 2  x 180 gram platters, an import priced at about $45 instead of the $79 JB is asking for the exact same version. I hate being robbed....

Just Picked up the Studebaker Record Cleaning System from the Post Office, $40.  I asked a few days ago if they could get one in - No problem.

They have a few around NSW still, but they don't have access to other states, which I find peculiar, it is Aust. Post, not NSW Post.

Ask at you local and they should be able to get one in for ya.

1764816936_StudebakerRecordCleaningSystem.JPG.5bbdeb623360353eca8e55f076e386e3.JPG

7 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Just Picked up the Studebaker Record Cleaning System from the Post Office, $40.  I asked a few days ago if they could get one in - No problem.

They have a few around NSW still, but they don't have access to other states, which I find peculiar, it is Aust. Post, not NSW Post.

Ask at you local and they should be able to get one in for ya.

1764816936_StudebakerRecordCleaningSystem.JPG.5bbdeb623360353eca8e55f076e386e3.JPG

Hi Ant. I got one of those a couple of years ago at the local PO but have never used it as it had some dried glue on one of the cleaning pads. I tried to remove it but couldn't without affecting the pad fur.....maybe need a solvent but I worry that may affect the fur. Anyway, these work quite well when used properly and are great for running second hand purchases through for a quick clean before first listen.👍

This is a fantastic album, listening all the time on Tidal Masters, decided to get last year reissue, let’s hear how good are Czech records

4676461C-670B-4E61-8DA8-1AFFF6F38192.jpeg

2487F3D0-B2A8-4D3D-9E05-FBD555B75D93.jpeg

On 12/11/2019 at 9:59 AM, shawnwes said:

Picked up a Hana ML with little use as a backup to the XV 1s. I have the Valab set at 150 ohms and it’s quite a nice cartridge with great soundstage presentation even without fussing with setup beyond a protractor.

The original owner stated it had less than 100 hours on it. Over the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed a substantial change to the sound & believe it’s about finished the break in. Wow what a nice cartridge. It throws a very cohesive image as deep and wide as you could want. Worth every penny.

Hi All,

Two Packages arrived today, both extremely well packed.

1. David Bowie, A New Career In A New Town 1977 - 1982, 13 album box set of rereleased albums from that period.

DB4.jpg.bf530c53e5616e60dbafcd49802c7693.jpg DB3.jpg.894f8dbae936d92d7ac4f5916c869b8c.jpg

DB2.jpg.dcaad0e097c7b5267d7313649946b0c6.jpg DB1.jpg.a20ac4795f657c646596cf23bfa66b57.jpg

2. Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Complete Studio Albums, 

CCR4.jpg.86ff3de819126984de5bb56d3b0d3234.jpg CCR3.jpg.8269f0afee407412f77f03b7408cf047.jpg

CCR2.jpg.859211a74438a2482a4e952576386387.jpg CCR1.jpg.8068c0df5db3e8e9a2e0ce116d71b7a9.jpg

JJ

Arrived today, Axe - Final Offering, white limited edition of 300.

DE0DC240-BD53-4F3C-89BD-606C20F9B7CB.jpeg