What in Analogue Have You Bought Today?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For years I’ve been reading about people scoring bargain basement deals through the used goods marketplaces in various forums. I read most of the post purchase comments to these posts, and there are q

I just picked up a new Luxman PD171A with a Ortofon PWti cartridge    

Nothing more than an indulgence purely for the aesthetics. Soulines U-Base to compliment the Kubrick DCX.   

6 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Having said that...

Dean Martin - Dream With Dean & Gillian Welch - Soul Journey 

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200902151939556_COVER.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200902152002547_COVER.jpg

Yep - great albums.  Have them both. Dean Martin up there with reference material.

Gillian and her partner David, own the end to end process of recording and pressing their Albums.  That ensures a very high standard. Harvest and the Harrow one of my favs

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Billy Shears said:

Alas my amplifier is away having some surgery - so yet to listen :'{

The 'hot and blue guitar duo is an ORG and a Sundazed... best version stays!

Image.jpeg

keen to know what "Walk the Line" sounds like

8 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

Yep - great albums.  Have them both. Dean Martin up there with reference material.

Gillian and her partner David, own the end to end process of recording and pressing their Albums.  That ensures a very high standard. Harvest and the Harrow one of my favs

Harvest and the Harrow is up next on the list. The WTB list is getting a little shorter though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cardiiiii said:

Harvest and the Harrow is up next on the list. The WTB list is getting a little shorter though. 

grab it as soon as you can,  not sure they did a repress but noticed it is going up $ wise.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

some background.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/125887/Gillian_Welch-The_Harrow__The_Harvest-140__150_Gram_Vinyl_Record

"If you're a musician who cares passionately about the sonics of your first-ever vinyl release, what steps can you take to ensure that the record sounds as good as possible? Here's one option: record the music to tape, buy your own cutting lathe, master directly from the original tapes, actually participate in the cutting process, and plate and press the vinyl at Quality Record Pressings. Gillian Welch and musical partner David Rawlings took those steps, and the process, though fraught with delays and very expensive, ended up being worth it. On these duets that feature both Welch and Rawlings on guitar and vocals (with Welch singing lead), the songs resemble short stories where the singer is fully invested in the characters, and the unfiltered lyrics that cut close to the bone fit the stripped-down and intimate sound of this LP. A black noise floor allows the detail and timbre to come through fully, and the delicate interplay between the guitars on what are mostly first or second takes gives the music an in-the-moment feel. Kudos to Welch and Rawlings for sticking their necks out and taking the DIY approach all the way." — Music 4/5, Sonics 5/5 Jeff Wilson, The Absolute Sound, December 2017."

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

A great album, Joe, and one that was in high rotation as a demo in our room at the HiFi Show last year down in Melbourne. Her collaboration with David Rawlings is sensational and if you like banjos, guitars and the harp in your music, you'll love Harvest and the Harrow. Every track is great, but standouts for me are Down Along The Dixie Line, Tennessee and The Way It Goes.:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

grab it as soon as you can,  not sure they did a repress but noticed it is going up $ wise.

Alright I just did, listened to it on Tidal and loved it.

Edited by Cardiiiii
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, scuzzii said:

keen to know what "Walk the Line" sounds like

I had a VERY quick listen before my amp went away for service. Only side one of the Sundazed and the first 2 tracks from the ORG.

Initial impressions were that the Sundazed was the winner - more alive. I think the ORG might just be the digital master put on LP. Walk the Line came in after the amp went away, so I have no idea what it sounds like - though my personal experience with MoFi is that their worst efforts are still pretty damn amazing.

Edited by Billy Shears
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Billy Shears said:

I had a VERY quick listen before my amp went away for service. Only side one of the Sundazed and the first 2 tracks from the ORG.

Initial impressions were that the Sundazed was the winner - more alive. I think the ORG might just be the digital master put on LP. Walk the Line came in after the amp went away, so I have no idea what it sounds like - though my personal experience with MoFi is that their worst efforts are still pretty damn amazing.

i like Sundazed as a label.  Sly and the Family Stone 'there's a riot going on' is very good IMO

https://www.discogs.com/Sly-The-Family-Stone-Theres-A-Riot-Goin-On/release/1316818

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

the way it will be... is my fav on the album

Yeah, great track too, love the harmonies.........just reckon the whole album is a masterpiece to be honest.👍

On 01/09/2020 at 4:50 PM, Billy Shears said:

Alas my amplifier is away having some surgery - so yet to listen :'{

The 'hot and blue guitar duo is an ORG and a Sundazed... best version stays!

Image.jpeg

Great records 

Great name @Billy Shears

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

ty - I'm not even a country fan, b
ut it's Cash... and
TY again!

Almost impossible to find a more country music musician than Johnny Cash

Maybe you should dig a bit deeper

watch the doco on sbs about the history of country music

Johnny cash’s mother in law was Maybelle Carter who as part of The Carter Family in 1929 recorded the first country music

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Almost impossible to find a more country music musician than Johnny Cash

Maybe you should dig a bit deeper

watch the doco on sbs about the history of country music

Johnny cash’s mother in law was Maybelle Carter who as part of The Carter Family in 1929 recorded the first country music

It might be something I need to try while working from home (I suddenly 'got' jazz after putting it on in the background). That would be awesome if it occurs, because as with jazz, everything would be 'new'.

17 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

It might be something I need to try while working from home (I suddenly 'got' jazz after putting it on in the background). That would be awesome if it occurs, because as with jazz, everything would be 'new'.

Just be careful with Johnny Cash 

ive got nearly all his records and a lot of them are really not good to bad

He is well served by multiple greatest hits though 

If you have Tidal I put up a playlist of Johnny Cash about 50 songs

Its on here somewhere actually

Someone started a post a Tidal playlist 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Just be careful with Johnny Cash 

ive got nearly all his records and a lot of them are really not good to bad

He is well served by multiple greatest hits though 

If you have Tidal I put up a playlist of Johnny Cash about 50 songs

Its on here somewhere actually

Someone started a post a Tidal playlist 

Bummer - I just dumped Tidal for Qobuz over the weekend!

I bought "The Essential Johnny Cash" on CD when I was 15ish 1995 (was it out then? - but lots of 'best ofs' with a 15yo's budget) and I still have Dad's 1st Oz press of San Quentin. He had Hot and Blue guitar on LP (no idea which one, could be a UK one at that age - but it's long gone).

• Like 1
On 29/08/2020 at 2:32 PM, hlov said:

Happy RSD everyone, just got this. No RSD release but was a good excuse to get some Father’s Day present for myself.

Boz Scaggs - But Beautiful 

90049D2D-5FF2-4D97-B82F-BEC9155AD8CC.jpeg

Ahhhh I love it too, How can I buy it from Ohio? Is it working with belt drive turntable?

Edited by leenolan20
43 minutes ago, leenolan20 said:

Ahhhh I love it too, How can I buy it from Ohio? 😲

Ohio? Is that the States? If so you should be able to get it from any retailer, I’m pretty sure there is more variety than in here

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bugs said:

At JBhifi yesterday, pick up Dire Straights  " Communique" for $25, very happy as I have all there stuff on LP records now

Do you have a copy of On Every Street? I’m not sure if it was reissued 

^^ lovely 

gets hi rotation in my house.  its a great 2-disk journey with never a dull moment. love how the the end just builds to an epic finale. it think Columbia are good with their pressings and with this one also

enjoy!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, hlov said:

Do you have a copy of On Every Street? I’m not sure if it was reissued 

Discrepancy Records have it for $69.95

This is a very dark album but interesting and the sound quality is great. The song Hurt is really good

Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral

3F14C3B9-EDCC-4C81-80C6-557CF325B337.jpeg

• Like 3
1 minute ago, hlov said:

This is a very dark album but interesting and the sound quality is great. The song Hurt is really good

Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral

3F14C3B9-EDCC-4C81-80C6-557CF325B337.jpeg

I'm guessing you know all about this - but JIC (and for others):

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Billy Shears said:

I'm guessing you know all about this - but JIC (and for others):

no idea about it. Was it a Johnny Cash song? 

42 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

It's a cover of the NIN song referenced above, from his 'American' series (I have American IV on LP).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_IV:_The_Man_Comes_Around

That’s cool, I saw the video. Still prefer NIN version. Very strange as I thought Johnny Cash was a folk singer, thanks for the link

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

You’re taking the P155 right, Hector?😄

:)  Not really, sorry if I have offended anyone with my comment, don't know nothing about him 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, hlov said:

:)  Not really, sorry if I have offended anyone with my comment, don't know nothing about him 

The biggest (arguably?) country artist of all time.

Edited by Billy Shears
5 minutes ago, hlov said:

No offence taken here, H, but that means you have a huge catalogue of music to explore now.........wow!👍

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

Checked JBHifi today and they had six crates of 'under $30" LP's......walked out with Midnight Oil's "Red Sails In The Sunset" and ELO's "Face The Music"......I have wanted both for a long time so I am very pleased.

Face The Music is a limited edition numbered release (no. 874) on what they are calling 'legacy' clear vinyl....."for superior sound reproduction"......whatever.....but it certainly does sound rather good.:thumb:

Midnight Oil - Red Sails In The Sunset (Album Review) — Subjective Sounds

E.L.O. - Face The Music Album Cover | Face the music, Music album cover,  Orchestra

• Like 3