What in Analogue Have You Bought Today?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For years I’ve been reading about people scoring bargain basement deals through the used goods marketplaces in various forums. I read most of the post purchase comments to these posts, and there are q

I just picked up a new Luxman PD171A with a Ortofon PWti cartridge    

Nothing more than an indulgence purely for the aesthetics. Soulines U-Base to compliment the Kubrick DCX.   

The Best of The Pogues, on Vinyl....for when my drinking buddies come over..:hiccup

Best_of_Pogues_Cover.jpg.8affd94ff25c8d5b73b244a4fb16e7d5.jpg

Edited by Bass13
  • Like 1

Bought yesterday at JB’s 20% off sale. I wasn’t keen on paying $28 full price for 21 minutes of music [emoji45], but $22.40 and with the included hi-rez download card made it worth it.

IMG_2097.jpg

His name is vaguely familiar, perhaps listed on jacket of a country album I have. Never heard any of his own recordings, so it was I picked it up in Rozelle, Sydney. As it turns out he was one of the producers in Sun Studios and has worked with Cash, Lee Lewis, Orbison et al, even writing many hit songs for them! Certainly looking forward to spin ...

IMG_20180723_161813166.jpg

I bought one of these last week and had a very nice extended listening session on Saturday. Just superb.😍

image.png.96c3ad6193be95e685e0b72d64617458.png

• Like 1
On 20/07/2018 at 5:26 AM, Bass13 said:

The Best of The Pogues, on Vinyl....for when my drinking buddies come over..:hiccup

Best_of_Pogues_Cover.jpg.8affd94ff25c8d5b73b244a4fb16e7d5.jpg

I'm sure that sounds spectacular, on your system, Sam!  :thumb:

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rantan said:

I bought one of these last week and had a very nice extended listening session on Saturday. Just superb.😍

image.png.96c3ad6193be95e685e0b72d64617458.png

Describe with some comparisons pls? :)

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Happy said:

Describe with some comparisons pls? :)

OK let's see.

Smooth and organic sounding, not overly warm or cool, balanced, with lots of air and space around instruments . Good timbre texture and tone and utterly non fatiguing. Compared to my Denon DL 301 II it is more organic, less etched and less hyper detailed.Music just flows naturally and one record becomes 5 before one is aware.

Compared to my Shelter 201 it is much more open and less warm with more detail. The Shelter is like comfort food that eventually becomes too comforting and the Garrott is a better balanced meal,with freshness at its core.

All in all the P77i is highly musical and eminently listenable without edge or a surfeit of personality to get in the way of the music. It doesn't editorialise and one word keeps coming to mid and that is balanced, but in this iteration balanced  is never boring or without emotion,which it delivers in spades.

Edited by rantan
typos
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, rantan said:

Ok let's see.

Smooth and organic sounding, not overly warm or cool, balanced, with lots of air and space around instruments . Good timbre texture and tone and utterly non fatiguing. Compared to my Denon DL 301 II it is more organic, less etched and less hyper detailed.Music just flows naturally and one record becomes 5 before one is aware.

Compared to my Shelter 201 it is mush more open and less warm with more detail. The Shelter is like comfort food that eventually becomes to comforting and the Garrott is a better balanced meal,with freshness at its core.

All in al the P77il is highly musical and eminently listenable without edge or a surfeit of personality to get in the way of the music.

Thanks

BTW hope you had those last miniscule ohms perfectly adjusted for the evaluation ya know otherwise no point whatsoever ;) 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Happy said:

Thanks

BTW hope you had those last miniscule ohms perfectly adjusted for the evaluation ya know otherwise no point whatsoever ;) 

Ummm - it's an MM, H ... so it expects 47K.  :lol:  No fiddling necessary.

Andy

5 minutes ago, andyr said:

Ummm - it's an MM, H ... so it expects 47K.  :lol:  No fiddling necessary.

Andy

Oh some of MM dudes would raise their eyebrow to that Andy :)

1 minute ago, Happy said:

Oh some of MM dudes would raise their eyebrow to that Andy :)

True, H - I'm well aware that wood-bodied Grados prefer ~35K over 47K.  But if they're really serious about correct loading for an MM, H, IMO they need to start with a default load of 100K.  And have a setup which enables them to easily change this down to 35K - possibly even as low as 20K.

How many MM phono stages offer that (without 'T' connectors)?  :)

Andy

7 hours ago, andyr said:

True, H - I'm well aware that wood-bodied Grados prefer ~35K over 47K.  But if they're really serious about correct loading for an MM, H, IMO they need to start with a default load of 100K.  And have a setup which enables them to easily change this down to 35K - possibly even as low as 20K.

How many MM phono stages offer that (without 'T' connectors)?  :)

Andy

See I told you lol

Nearly purchased this today, but for $70 it would have to include a record of my choice [emoji3]

2F457C93-7904-437F-8B07-567D333C9211.thumb.png.145b2ef2cef0cb47b47296a3108a5e89.png

Wish this was made of vinyl [emoji23]

16 hours ago, rantan said:

OK let's see.

Compared to my Shelter 201 it is much more open and less warm with more detail. The Shelter is like comfort food that eventually becomes too comforting and the Garrott is a better balanced meal,with freshness at its core.

All in all the P77i is highly musical and eminently listenable without edge or a surfeit of personality to get in the way of the music. It doesn't editorialise and one word keeps coming to mid and that is balanced, but in this iteration balanced  is never boring or without emotion,which it delivers in spades.

Great stuff @rantan ! I almost bought one of these back in '78 (without the "i" back then☺️) but went with the Grace F8C.....I have since purchased a cheap second hand P66 with worn stylus because the P77 has always intrigued me. Sounds like it delivers👌.......happy times!👍

Edited by stevoz
19 hours ago, awayward said:

Nearly purchased this today, but for $70 it would have to include a record of my choice 😀

Cool, but not convinced about the brand. I will wait for the Sansui or Rotel ones ;)

Purchased this earlier, same seller that I bought Sgt Peppers from a couple of weeks back. NM 1st Australian pressing.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3

This would be the best Beatles album in my opinion. Sadly not in my collection. I have to do with a flac version😦

On 24/07/2018 at 1:20 PM, stevoz said:
Purchased this earlier, same seller that I bought Sgt Peppers from a couple of weeks back. NM 1st Australian pressing.

s-l1600.jpg

Yes the only Beatles album I own, and the only one I want!  A ripper...

But what I really want to know is, how did they fly the "STEREO" banner in the sky?

• Like 1

Thanks to Ed (Chimchister) we now have the start of a collection of Beatles albums which are in excellent condition. The better half and I have been enjoying listening to a couple of them with a few classes of red tonight, can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday evening.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 6
10 hours ago, TerryO said:

Thanks to Ed (Chimchister) we now have the start of a collection of Beatles albums which are in excellent condition. The better half and I have been enjoying listening to a couple of them with a few classes of red tonight, can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday evening.

Cool, those jap presses are great, I also bought few from him as well, amazing condition. 

On 28/07/2018 at 1:15 AM, Hazzzy said:

How does the new vinyl sound compared to the original with albums such as Abbey Road? Anybody heard a comparison?

Imo - Do not touch the new stereo Beatle remasters. They truly are crap some bloated in the bass, smoothed out and lifeless vs original mixes from the 80's and before.

The stereo Beatles box set with the Bowie box set are the 2 most disappointing releases I have ever bought.   Digital smoothed out garbage. 

Steps off pedestal :winky:

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Do not touch the new stereo Beatle renasters. They truly are crap some bloated in the bass, smoothed out and lifeless vs original mixes from the 80's and before.

Judging by how my recent acquisition, a stereo Oz 1st pressing of Sgt. Peppers sounds, I'm not sure why they bothered remastering them......🙄

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Judging by how my recent acquisition, a stereo Oz 1st pressing of Sgt. Peppers sounds, I'm not sure why they bothered remastering them......🙄

the complete negative feedback from those Stereo vinyl remasters thankfully had them reconsider and remaster the mono albums in full analog with no stupid additional eq to change the decisions on sound they originally made.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

Odds & sods picked up from Sydney innerwest suburbs. Of most value to me is Best of Blues Project, sleeveless LP, not pictured.

IMG_20180721_152416885.jpg

14 minutes ago, rodders3 said:

What type of price are those Jap pressings @TerryO ? I am off there soon and would be interested to hear going rate.

Might be best to ask Chimchimster directly, I have purchased from him a couple of dozen Japanese pressings at different prices depending on the artists and they convincingly clean up similar age pressings from other country's, especially locally pressed records.

cheers Terry.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, TerryO said:

Might be best to ask Chimchimster directly, I have purchased from him a couple of dozen Japanese pressings at different prices depending on the artists and they convincingly clean up similar age pressings from other country's, especially locally pressed records.

cheers Terry.

Thanks Terry.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Citroen said:

Thanks for sharing!

WTF? ;)

to go with my analog radio shack spl meter :)    this is the analog thread isn't it?

• Like 2