What in Analogue Have You Bought Today?

For years I’ve been reading about people scoring bargain basement deals through the used goods marketplaces in various forums. I read most of the post purchase comments to these posts, and there are quite obviously two camps when it comes to bagging a bargain:

1. it’s the sellers responsibility to do their research and understand the market value. Fair play and kudos to the first person that makes contact with the seller and takes it for the list price. 
  2. The buyer should draw upon their own knowledge (and morals) and negotiate a fair deal for both parties.

So on Thursday a listing appeared  on the Australian Vintage Hi-Fi, Stereo & Audio Facebook group. There it was:  An advert for two Garrard 401’s for $250! One was a motor unit pulled from an old all-in-one console and another one which is fully functioning and had been recently serviced with an SME3009 Mk2 mounted in a stock Garrard plinth. 

A quick check of the seller’s profile and you could easily deduce that an elderly gent who has been a member of the Lions Club for decades had listed it. I fell into camp 2. 

I can assure you that the seller hadn’t done his research, but he has spent the last 40+ years volunteering for the Lion’s club and community radio station. He is a regular at his local church. He honestly, and naively, didn’t expect anyone to take advantage of him. 

I put in my first offer of $1200 and told him I’d take the motor unit for that offer and that the other unit would be worth considerably more but I couldn’t afford it. Much to my surprise, about 2 hours later he accepted my offer, for both!

He told me more than one person offered him 3k for both units. Unfortunately for them, they also offered to buy them for $250. He said to me “why would I trust someone who would happily take it for $250 but as soon as they’re aware of a competing bid, offer more than 10 times as much?” 

Sometimes the nice guy doesn’t always finish last. The good news is that there were other 'camp 2' members who also messaged him with advice they were worth more. I again offered to take just the single motor unit, but he was happy to make the $1200 because he could go and buy a Rega RP3 with it.

So, as of this afternoon I now have these two sitting safely on my spare bed while I ponder what to do with them. I have no intention of selling them, but hoping to make one good one from the two. I've been communicating with @Shark to get some idea on setting a budget for some work. He's a fountain of knowledge and has been kind enough to send me his thoughts on what to do next.

Facebook Listing.jpg

IMG-3035.jpg

IMG-3034.jpg

Edited by Yarrum78
Changed buyer to seller
  • Like 22
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/07/2020 at 11:07 PM, Yarrum78 said:

Thanks @lenticularis I can’t wait to get at least one of them running at 100% but I’m still not sure how much that will cost me. 

There is a good chance that they will both just work. A service would be worthwhile by someone who knows what they are doing. They are built like tanks and just keep running. 

Worst case scenario might require the motor to be serviced and a thrust pad upgrade and service of the bearing.

Edited by Telecine
  • Like 1

@Yarrum78 well done! You get to keep the good karma too. About a year ago I bought a collection of records from a deceased estate. The daughter was selling on behalf of her elderly mother, the records having been played by her father well into his demented years. I was expecting a fair amount of "fumble" damage, so did give somewhat of a lowball offer via messaging as an unsighted offer. After getting the haul home and inspecting them, what I had was a collection of pristine, well kept records, mainly Japanese, Euro and US pressings. I immediately got back on to the seller offering more. My final cost was 3 times the original offer. I can't understand the opportunism of some, never will I be known to have used car salesman mentality or morals.

• Like 4

Top effort @t_mike and I reckon there would have been still something in it for you too.

i agree with your sentiments, integrity is important. There’s no way that I could have lived with myself by turning up to the home of that elderly couple and taken two 401’s for $250. The gent even logged on to a charity website while I was there and donated some of the sale money after I handed over the cash. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Telecine said:

There is a good chance that they will both just work. A service would be worthwhile by someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks @Telecine I’m not well versed in the workings of the 401, but thanks to this wonderful forum I found a Brisbane based SNA member who is very knowledgable and is giving them a once over for a reasonable fee. One is now functioning well,  the other is having speed issues (too high) but a potential fix has been identified, hopefully it will be implemented later this week.  

I’ve since been doing some reading about the mechanical design and they are almost completely mechanical which is quite amazing when you compare it against my Technics SL-1500 which is jam packed with electronics and plastic. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yarrum78 said:

Thanks @Telecine I’m not well versed in the workings of the 401, but thanks to this wonderful forum I found a Brisbane based SNA member who is very knowledgable and is giving them a once over for a reasonable fee. One is now functioning well,  the other is having speed issues (too high) but a potential fix has been identified, hopefully it will be implemented later this week.  

I’ve since been doing some reading about the mechanical design and they are almost completely mechanical which is quite amazing when you compare it against my Technics SL-1500 which is jam packed with electronics and plastic. 

Happy to help. My 401 was fully restored but they are very reliable and easy to service, enjoy.

• Like 1

DMA's latest; great Sydney band which is branching from their Britpop influenced sound to getting a little electronic, they released a remix earlier this year (digital only) by Orbital...a sure indication they've been digging into the UK electronic scene and it's history.

IMG_7859.jpg

Edited by The Spider