What in Analogue Have You Bought Today?

Can’t wait for tomorrow night for these guys:

In Utero: Steve Albini mix, direct metal mastering from the analogue tapes. I’ve heard this mix plenty of times - I far prefer it to the Scott Litt version (which I have the DMM of as well).

Neil Young greatest hits - this was made by transferring the tracks from the original master tapes to 30ips reels to keep a fully analogue chain. It fills in the gaps I have where I’m not prepared to buy a whole album. 

928A69A8-5A7A-4283-BF53-4EEEEE77C743.jpeg

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 4

How refreshing @TerryO to see someone other than me playing Devo! Great debut album that one.....even if they freaked out the average Countdown viewer and Shirley Strachan, who introduced the Countdown debut of their version of 'Satisfaction' , a clip complete with Boojie Boy sticking his knife in a toaster and being electrocuted.? That was cut from all following TV plays of this song.?

• Like 1

not today but bought back in the 80's, still have it!

China Crisis: Possible Pop Songs Vol Two

-

Crisis-Working-With-Fire-And-Steel-Possible-Pop-Songs-Volume-Two/master/85057

https://www.discogs.com/China-Crisis-Working-With-Fire-And-Steel-Possible-Pop-Songs-Volume-Two/master/85057

they're touring in Aug 2020

https://metropolistouring.com/china-crisis-2020/

<Liverpudlian 80’s New Wave legends CHINA CRISIS tour Australia for the First Time Ever!

Performing their Greatest Hits & Fan Favourites – Wishful Thinking, Working With Fire and Steel, Black Man Ray, Arizona Sky, African and White, King in a Catholic Style (Wake Up), Christian, Tragedy and Mystery and heaps more!

China Crisis were part of a vibrant early 80’s Liverpool-based musical renaissance responsible for producing OMD, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Teardrop Explodes, A Flock of Seagulls and Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

The sound of China Crisis has become distinctive amongst their peers, often combining elements from other genres. China Crisis classics have been sampled into modern singles by the likes of French Montana and Action Bronson, and the band’s “Wall of God” was included in the hit film Gone Girl, all introducing their music to a whole new audience. >

• Like 2

Some pick ups from the Lifeline fair in Canberra. The Red Norvo is a 2nd reprint but apparently quiet rare. 2 for sale on discogs  for silly money. I also picked up some Aus jazz history with an acetate of Ralph Mallen at the Sydney Town Hall. National sound and film archive released it on a CD compilation.

34A3AF14-D668-4DE7-B8D4-0C3E25ED2D7D.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bell Ringer said:

Some pick ups from the Lifeline fair in Canberra. The Red Norvo is a 2nd reprint but apparently quiet rare. 2 for sale on discogs  for silly money. I also picked up some Aus jazz history with an acetate of Ralph Mallen at the Sydney Town Hall. National sound and film archive released it on a CD compilation.

34A3AF14-D668-4DE7-B8D4-0C3E25ED2D7D.jpeg

That MD looks interesting!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YCC said:

That MD looks interesting!

@YCC no not really. A mono version (which I always like to buy when I see them) but not rare. Cover is pretty poor but the vinyl looks OK, a bit worn, but the monos can sometimes be quiet if the damage isn’t too deep into the groove.

I had 10 albums arrive all at once on Friday, but from 7 different sellers, they just all happened to show up on one busy day for my doorbell.

Most are new pressings so not too interesting. But I wanted to make to show off this beautiful Atoms For Peace deluxe set and a very cool Fuzz Club pressing of Polygondwanaland.

The Atoms For Peace debossed foil blocking is really great in the light and the inner sleeves have great matching artwork. Fuzz Club went all out and used lots of art from the Polygondwanaland files to make an embedded book in the gatefold. Great clear pressing too.

Won't get a chance to play them for a while but the Atoms For Peace should sound stellar.

IMG_2179.jpg.2fda26890a746e22d71cf22fba7bea1d.jpgIMG_2183.jpg.12caec7b7732d7d1e81b644897b3b682.jpgIMG_2185.jpg.33996308225d0c207ba96743633d5f84.jpgIMG_2181.jpg.e81f5d44c0d6c30817a51794954e7846.jpgIMG_2182.jpg.da0f6d253f64b1896d63d32855d975af.jpg

• Like 5

This morning, after a trip to Bunnings (without success), dropped in to Lifeline on a whim.

Half price CDs/ DVDs/ LPs. Bought a 7" single Jennifer Warnes ‎– Bird On A Wire. Was once property of the local University FM station. cost $1; one available on Discogs, asking $30.

Also bought Gnarls Barkley - St Elsewhere CD, and Des O'Connor 7" - Don't let the good life pass you by"

20200210_144621.jpg

• Like 3

A few new titles. Bought the 2013 mix of In Utero too, and though it sounded fantastic (45rpm, two LPs), both records were warped- the second unplayable. Took it back the the shop and all their copies were the same- a bad batch. Had to get smashing pumpkins instead.

F3CFC5A6-AC0F-4734-A8C2-AC59C7639C76.jpeg

85551E52-5956-4CAA-BF68-9781C8D4EB33.jpeg

26DBEAFB-ECD4-4087-A0D0-23B4A6070A24.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi All,

4 arrivals late yesterday and a couple of purchases at JB whilst out, from Top L >>>R then Bottom L>>>R

The Soft Bulletin, The Flaming Lips.  Nirvana, Unplugged In New York, from JB had CD so decided to hear what the vinyl sounds like.  Repress of Jeff Wayne's, War Of The Worlds to replace a well played original

Mueller & Roedelius, Imagori.  A Perfect Circle, Eat The Elephant incorrectly priced at JB at $27.99. David Bowie, Bowpromo repressing of his original promotional LP.

1693619548_LPArrivalsFeb14.jpg.48761187f1d1d19d5c03c08d48982438.jpg

JJ

• Like 5

I have recently refreshed my LP12 with a Lingo 4, and a new redgum plinth, bought through Ben at www.hifiguru.com.au , after I saw them at the Hifi show last year. The plinth looks fantastic, and is significantly more substantial than my old afromasia plinth. Overall, aside from being able to play 45 rpm records now, the sound has improved, especially in the tightness of the bass. I certainly wasn't unhappy with the sound before, but it the overall level of detail appears more, without losing that ease of listening that I like about the LP12. 

Justin 

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

fullsizeoutput_18fd.jpeg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, evil c said:

@Juzbear the new plinth looks fantastic!

Love the depth of color with the Redgum.

Makes the old afromasia one look very average,  which I have. 

Did you fit it yourself?

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I did fit it- I have been looking after my own LP12 for as long as I have had it, and Ben from Hifiguru offered to do it (and I understand he prefers to, to make sure things are done properly), but I just couldn't miss getting my hands dirty. The standard of fit and finish is really good, and it probably helped that I bought a new top plate, so everything was nice and square from the get go. 

29 minutes ago, Juzbear said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I did fit it- I have been looking after my own LP12 for as long as I have had it, and Ben from Hifiguru offered to do it (and I understand he prefers to, to make sure things are done properly), but I just couldn't miss getting my hands dirty. The standard of fit and finish is really good, and it probably helped that I bought a new top plate, so everything was nice and square from the get go. 

Where did you source the top plate, a true flat version?

Yes very satisfying working on the LP12 yourself,  however I always call in outside help to properly tune the springs! 

31 minutes ago, evil c said:

Where did you source the top plate, a true flat version?

Yes very satisfying working on the LP12 yourself,  however I always call in outside help to properly tune the springs! 

I bought a new top plate from Linn, along with new bolts,  though I understand that Ben is getting some top plates made (more economical than the Linn product- no surprises there). It just made sense over using my somewhat battered version.

I had the lend of an LP12 workstand, which certainly made it easier, and doing the springs was pretty easy, as far as it goes, though this is always a task that requires a bit of patience. (The set up guise from cymbiosis is really great, I find)

Popped into JB Hifi again.....no $30 bin today but I found one copy of this at not much more......and I have been after a vinyl copy of it for years.....didn't even know it had been reissued. Good timing!

Daddy Cool "Sex, Dope, Rock'n'Roll: Teenage Heaven" (and it was too!?). Where it's pressed, I have no idea as this issue is not listed on Discogs but it is a Sony/Wizard release from 2017. Originally released in 1972.....it's nearly 50!

https://www.rarerecords.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/20191114_130230.jpg

https://www.justfortherecord.co.nz/assets/Images/Albums/DSCN0915.JPG

The original US release had this cover (with the words, sex, dope, rock'n'roll removed). It was just known as Teenage Heaven over there.?

https://img.discogs.com/hCIItP1lSfJGQY1APICE41RIGWk=/fit-in/600x611/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-6032387-1409575230-9624.jpeg.jpg

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 3

Bargain found on ebay......Alan Parsons "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" 2009 remastered (digitally?) reissue, GZ pressing.  Should be interesting......and almost completes my APP 'vintage years' LP collection.?

s-l1600.jpg
  • Like 3