What in Analogue Have You Bought Today?

4 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

On a little binge recently.

Expecting delivery today or tomorrow...

1085753459_VincentPHO-8500.jpg.f2ece3cf3adbd9be27802f389f3a49df.jpgPurchased second hand from another member in the classifieds.

Awaiting delivery of...

Smashing Pumpkins  'Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol 1-LP; No Past. No Future. No Sun.'              The Flaming Lips  'Oczy Mlody'

564439770_SmashingPumpkinsShinyandOhSoBrightVol1-LPNoPast.NoFuture.NoSun..jpg.6851e3680cf2c917f81c5f0564158da0.jpg                                1816614450_TheFlamingLipsOczyMlody500.jpg.677cf0f53e25eb9c3efafdb5ae511876.jpg

Sigur Rós  'Kveikur'

364719303_SigurRsKveikur500.jpg.39abaf9f2f8183b3c5b5ff579f34aae2.jpg

Purchasing this weekend from another member in the classifieds...  second hand Rhino Records reissues...

Black Sabbath  'Paranoid'                                                                                                                      Black Sabbath   'Master of Reality'

773153294_BlackSabbathParanoid500.jpg.7b173504315f53a592b05155ae9f124c.jpg                              93355238_BlackSabbathMasterofReality.jpg.4f7e811266c3a53845068c2c701c655e.jpg

Black Sabbath  'Vol 4'

43127763_BlackSabbathVol4-Copy.JPG.297b8866bfe265ba9d8bddf490f15092.JPG

A good swag there.

• Like 5

Just set up the PHO-8 while on a break from work.  Spewing that I have to go in for dinner.

Big thankyou to @noddyc43, arrived as described, promptly and securely.

First spin...

Muse  'Simulation Theory'  2018 Warner Music, U.K. Made in E.U.

353975246_MuseSimulationTheory2018WarnerMusicU.K.MadeinE.U..JPG.9206d8bfc403da2a8c1d6cae28631919.JPG

Sounds bloody awesome.

• Like 1

Today's vinyl purchase is Crowded House - "The Very Very Best Of".

2 i80 gram heavyweights, 19 tracks, 4 sides.

Single cavity cover (not a double opener, pity), but the inners are OK quality printed but unlined and so in will go a couple of poly/paper sleeves.

The vinyl was clean (for once) straight out of the bag.

Made in the EU.

Great sound quality! Lots of image width and is nicely uncompressed so nice and dynamic too. And great music to boot. Recommended for $55.

Edited by norman
  • Like 3

I bought a new Ortofon Quintet Red MC cartridge. I listened to the Blue, but I couldn't really tell the difference in the store, so I saved the difference and got the Red. It was an Ortofon sponsored trade-in using my 20 year old MC-3 Turbo with collapsed suspension as the donor, hope they enjoy hearing it scrape.

It's on my old Technics SL-1200 Mk2 deck. I used an Ortofon SH-4 headshell as it is a tall cartridge and needs the extra depth this one provides. I have set it up with the Technics-recommended 52mm from stylus to headshell washer distance, and it's dead parallel to the headshell sides. With my mat (scavenged off a Technics SL-D2) the base of the cartridge is parallel with the record surface with 2.5mm dialed in on the helical arm height adjustment.

The cartridge and headshell combo is heavier than I have used before, and I ran out of adjustment on the counterweight, so I need to source the sub-auxilliary extra weight for the rear of the tonearm, but in the short term I have just Blu-tacked a steel washer to the rear of the counterweight and set the recommended 2.3 grams tracking force. 

I have it playing through a Pro-Ject Phono Box S set to 60 dB gain. I know I can do better than this, but the aim of this rig is for it to be a great sounding budget system. However, my ears are open to suggestion on alternatives for the pre-amp.

It already sounds fantastic. This is my first low output moving coil cartridge on a decent sounding rig, and boy am I happy. The cartridge sounded great immediately, and I know it will only get better as it plays in and opens out. The sound stage is nice and wide already. It sounds better to me than my near new (< 20 hours) 2M Blue. Now I have to decide whether to flip that or keep it - swapping out means that I have to change dip-swicth settings on the bottom of the phono stage. What does an almost-new 2M Blue sell for here?

No more cartridge swapping for me a fair while ?

Ortofon Quintet Red.jpg.jpg

Edited by norman
  • Like 2

Have got a new phono pre amp on the way VISTA PHONO 2   http://www.vista-audio.com/products/phono-2/index.htm

Having my Nad pp2i for a couple years with my DL110 wanted something with all the range of loadings and gain for when I change to a LOMC in near future.

Boris has been excellent to deal with and even let me have a special of a discount AND free shipping to AUS.

Phono-2 bottom

Phono-2 rear
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, Neurone said:

Hi All,

Lashed out and purchased Black Sabbath 1970 to 1978 box set

Not a bad spend up there either mate.  I'm quite envious looking at your vinyl posts lately.  You know, I've never actually worked my way through from fist to last Sabbath album.

I purchased the three Sab albums I posted previously, then will hunt the Rhino 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'.  I won't have the whole catalogue on record, but will have most, then I think I will listen to them in sequence for the first time.

I just wish they could remix/remaster 'Born Again'.  Not everyone's favourite by a long shot, but the production is often why people don't like it.  I love it and should pick up another copy as mine is quite crackly.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2019 at 2:28 PM, stevoz said:

A NM US 1st pressing of The Ozark Mountain Dare Devils" debut album, as my own copy has fallen victim to the dreaded haze/mist.?

This purchase was cancelled (after payment) due to a shipping cost mix up.....?

I just knew $US3.00 from the US sounded way too good! ??

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

Ok, newbie question here. Just set up my first record player (Rega RP2). I'm after an album suggestion that would make a Gen X like me sit up and take notice compared to my large digital collection and streaming. If not a specific album, which genre? What would give me "the bug"? 

15 minutes ago, Raffinator said:

Ok, newbie question here. Just set up my first record player (Rega RP2). I'm after an album suggestion that would make a Gen X like me sit up and take notice compared to my large digital collection and streaming. If not a specific album, which genre? What would give me "the bug"? 

Just get your favourite Gen X music on vinyl......that should do it.??

Edited by stevoz

17 minutes ago, Raffinator said:

REM’s Automatic For the People is available as a completely analogue remaster brand new for about $40-$50.

Most new records are made from digital masters (I can point you to a few that are not), but plenty of original presses from the 80s and 90s that were analogue all the way through aren’t very expensive.

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Raffinator said:

Wow this will open a can of worms

5 Options obvious and not so

1) Pink Floyd  Dark Side of the moon

2) Dire Straits Brothers in Arms

3) SADE PROMISE or Diamond Nights or Life as @Stevoz pointed out.

4) Frankie goes Too Hollywood Pleasuredome

5) Your favourite digital album.

Edited by Eagleeyes

8 minutes ago, Eagleeyes said:

3) SADE PROMISE or Diamond Nights

I was thinking exactly that....very broad criteria.

I agree with all your suggestions but would add Sade's 'Stronger Than Pride' as well.....and btw it's 'Diamond Life'.?

Edited by stevoz

1 minute ago, stevoz said:

I was thinking exactly that....very broad criteria.

I agree with all your suggestions but would add Sade's 'Stronger Than Pride' as well.....and btw it's 'Diamond Life'.?

It was a diamond night when i played it the first time, wink wink 32 years ago.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Eagleeyes said:

3) SADE PROMISE or Diamond Nights or Life as @Stevoz pointed out.

Interesting. I've three of the four you mention in SACD. And earlier comment about REM, Automatic for the People is one of my all time favourites! 

• Like 1