What in Analogue Have You Bought Today?

Got an Audio Technica MC Cartridge today, I have put it in my old Pro-Ject RP 4 and it sounds very nice brighter than my Ortofon Black, the vocals are nicer, bass is a bit low.

Good looking cart, I’m doing my torture test Rickie Lee Jones RLJ now

C22F6B03-B993-4FAB-AB68-D4A48A72CD6F.jpeg

• Like 2

On 09/04/2019 at 9:20 PM, hlov said:

Got an Audio Technica MC Cartridge today, I have put it in my old Pro-Ject RP 4 and it sounds very nice brighter than my Ortofon Black, the vocals are nicer, bass is a bit low.

Should get more bass as it loosens up.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2019 at 9:20 PM, hlov said:

Check your VTA you would be surprised by how much of a difference a small adjustment can make. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PKay said:

Check your VTA you would be surprised by how much of a difference a small adjustment can make. 

Thanks mate, I did my best to align it as the seller advised. Im using the phono stage of my Yamaha CA 810 and adjusted the treble control. I’m getting more bass now but still bright sound, which is not bad at all

Just purchased from Discogs, this UK pressing of an album which will almost complete my DEVO collection of studio albums. "Smooth Noodle Maps", their last album before 2010's comeback 'Something For Everybody', the last one I need, which is on vinyl but at crazy prices (on Discogs).

Graded NM.?

https://img.discogs.com/QWNmqVwkRVNCQwk7VpxQTiMEzZQ=/fit-in/500x471/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-3924053-1349395003-8106.jpeg.jpg

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

Well with my 20% discount thanks to RSD, I’ve finally got this mighty box home. Can’t wait to listen. 14 LPs. Recordings made between 1947-1954. Original Dynamics preserved! IMG_1208.thumb.jpg.2b9e1e2189389c9dd966b66e5735222e.jpg

Wow missed the 20% discounts so no purchases. Have the 9th as a individual release. Plays great.
  • Like 1

That's a terrific looking package. Enjoy.

I went out early to a couple of local stores yesterday for RSD 2019 but was quite disappointed in the selection. I keep hoping for that elusive Bill Evans Resonance release that they've been doing the last few years but they don't seem to come to this small market. I found a few VG+ & NM though at Underground Records and a local thrift store I go through once a week. All in only spent $35 CAD and they're all keepers.

576884149.jpg

576884292.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RickRycroft said:

One day only on last Saturday for Record Store Day (I didn't even know that was a thing!)

Your not missing much.....it's a bit of a rip off but good for the 'industry'.

• Haha 1

First off, I want to thank everyone for their advice and input. It's been really educational for me. So, two days ago I was in a record shop in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago (Pinwheel Records, for anyone that lives up here), and they were selling a used U-Turn turntable w/ built-in preamp, no lift, acrylic plate and upgraded needle (Ortofon OM5E) & Pioneer DM-40BT-W speakers. The turntable (new) is $359 on U-Turn's site and the speakers on Amazon for $199... I negotiated the whole package for $325.

I ran Patti Smith's 'Horses' album on the set, in the store, to make sure all was in good order. The kid behind the counter, basically, said, "The owner upgraded his home set, and just wants to get rid of it."

So, this is where I am now, and I have been very happy with my purchase since getting it set up.

Thank you, again, everyone for the help!

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, elementary said:

First off, I want to thank everyone for their advice and input. It's been really educational for me. So, two days ago I was in a record shop in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago (Pinwheel Records, for anyone that lives up here), and they were selling a used U-Turn turntable w/ built-in preamp, no lift, acrylic plate and upgraded needle (Ortofon OM5E) & Pioneer DM-40BT-W speakers. The turntable (new) is $359 on U-Turn's site and the speakers on Amazon for $199... I negotiated the whole package for $325.

I ran Patti Smith's 'Horses' album on the set, in the store, to make sure all was in good order. The kid behind the counter, basically, said, "The owner upgraded his home set, and just wants to get rid of it."

So, this is where I am now, and I have been very happy with my purchase since getting it set up.

Thank you, again, everyone for the help!

It doesn't have to be complex or expensive to be enjoyable.

• Haha 1

On 15/04/2019 at 11:20 PM, stevoz said:

Your not missing much.....it's a bit of a rip off but good for the 'industry'.

Indeed. Consider it a chance to show your enthusiasm, esp if oddball releases pique your interest. Mostly it's all about the stores getting people through the doors in more numbers than they would normally but it's not a customer appreciation day so don't expect big discounts. It's a bit of fun, esp if you find a RSD item that floats your boat. 

• Like 2

Early arrival of King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard's new release Fishing for Fishies. I ordered both Flightless editions. Another different musical style for them. Mostly Blues/Rock, a hint of Jazz reminding me of their Sounds of Brunswick East album, and finishing up with some nice analogue synth.

KGATLW_FFF_SalmonPolo_Cover_Front.jpg

KGATLW_FFF_SalmonPolo_Record_Side1.jpg

KGATLW_FFF_FireGoby_Record_Side1.jpg

Edited by fowlerd303
  • Like 1

Rega Planar 6 (and either a Dynavector p75 MKiv or MF MX-VYNL... have both and will choose one).

This is an impressive player.

I also got an Australian 1st press mono Sgt Peppers. I have another level of the Atacama stand coming and everything is kind of jammed in for the moment... but I have a hard job deciding between the Dynavector and the MF.

494087C4-5F74-4ACF-AF3A-16DF4BC9166D.jpeg

A0FF2B14-1763-491A-8524-F22C8CEA6E29.jpeg

1F60F9F0-6CC7-498B-A681-F8C7B79BD02D.jpeg

• Like 3