What in Analogue Have You Bought Today?

52 minutes ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Double Herbie VOSP CBS 4AP530~1 from the good people at Rocking Horse -can I say that? opens with Maiden Voyage,  Wayne Shorter on tenor sax, Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Ron Carter bass & Tony Williams on drums. 

DSCN0446.JPG

DSCN0444.JPG

This is a favourite of mine. Three bands - how does it go...the greatest, the finest, then just the Herbie Hancock group?

Don't listen to any jazz nobs who dismiss the last side. There's some outstanding funk guitar on there and Herbie plays his pants off on various keyboards.

• Like 1

@jazzdog@groovemasters I do believe we have some very similar tastes in music. I really like the Yasmin Levi cd, beautiful packaging with the book, and her voice is so haunting, yet in a beautiful way. Just a shame it doesn't fit in amoung the other cds with the larger format. I'm pretty sure that I recently put this one up in World currently spinning. 

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Yes, but I do listen to a lot of baroque music, when not listening to jazz. I heard Yasmin Levi interviewed on RN a few years ago & was v. impressed, was not aware of this tradition in Spanish music. I will have to check out the WCS thread, still finding my around SNA. The 2 Ravi Shankar LPs are good, the Raga LP was sitting there with what looked like PVC sleeve damage, but I think someone must have split a beveridge* on it, as it has cleaned up ok.

*probably a wooded chardy or a beaujolias given it's age.

• Like 1

On 04/12/2016 at 3:14 PM, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Hi Steve,

yes, sorry, lousy photos, see att. below. I am glad i never got suckered into the 'CD is here to replace analogue' craze back in the 1980,s & nineties, look at the price of the harmonious blacksmith in 1984; $32.00!

DSCN0459.JPG

DSCN0460.JPG

DSCN0461.JPG

DSCN0462.JPG

DSCN0463.JPG

I think you missed my point:P.....I meant they're CD's!! Sacre bleu!! This is for analogue only:D. Unless you were in on it and 'taking the piss to another level, in which case.....touche!:thumb:

Edited by stevoz

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

I think you missed my point:P.....I meant they're CD's!! Sacre bleu!! This is for analogue only:D. Unless you were in on it and 'taking the piss to another level, in which case.....touche!:thumb:

24 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

2TB 2.5" external drive and two more 300W Class D T3 amp modules. 

:)

Picked this up from a used record shop... rare and funky grooves from one of the original members of Tower of Power. Sonics one of the best I've heard for a standard issue, as one can expect being mastered by B Ludwig...

R-1830220-1246282797.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

Re: CD's, sorry I did not read the fine print.... OK, medium print, so I will attempt to leave the naughty corner/seek forgiveness by these purchases of these iconic artists on vinyl; Gill Evans, New bottle old wine, Bill Evans, Spring leaves, Jimmy Witherspoon, Who's been jivin' you, Joe Williams, Nothin' but the blues, NRPS, The best of the New Riders of the Purple Sage, Louis Armstrong, Satchmo in style, Gerry Mulligan, Night lights. Hard to know which one to play first, maybe Bill Evans?

DSCN0465.JPG

DSCN0466.JPG

DSCN0467.JPG

DSCN0468.JPG

DSCN0469.JPG

DSCN0470.JPG

DSCN0472.JPG

• Like 5

Just finished playing the NRPS, yes I like it, but side 1 could have benefited from the inclusion of a more intensive track such as Dirt business down in coal creek 

but it is good & was only $10.00. Jerry straddled both bands, for a while. I did not realise that they were still going http://thenewriders.com/bio/ If you are not familiar with the style cosmic country/the Bakersville sound/alt country/whatever, try Gram Parsons, with the Bryds & the Flying Burrito Brothers or solo Grievous Angel featuring Emmy Lou Harris 

this medley from Grievous Angel is a good starting point. Other greats are Dillard & Clark Band, Townes Van Zandt, the list goes on.

• Like 1

First impressions/review thread started. MattyW, if you can get one of these, maybe forget the F9....maybe. I can't believe I just said that and while I'll admit that I haven't actually heard an F9[emoji3], the Level II is truly awe inspiring!:thumb:

I recently picked up an F8L for $68 with no stylus. I've a Jico VN35HE on the way which I plan to cut the plastic off and secure with a drop of super glue. I also have a gold pulse guard body on the way to replace the plastic body.

I got a Supex SDX1000 from Kelossus on the weekend. A more balanced cart than my Denon DL103, though tending to slightly bright. Punchier sounding than any LOMC I've heard and fantastic with percussion instruments. My Hana EL remains my favourite cart, very organic and natural.

I've received a new Shure SC35C today which I intend to place in a cocobolo body for a V15, and fit a Jico VN35HE stylus to.

Won a bid for a Denon DL107 MM cart today.... I've gone a little overboard on carts recently....

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My two latest purchases happen to be the top two selling albums of all time.....AC/DC's "Back in Black" (2009 George Marino remaster) and Michael Jackson's 'Thriller" (original Dutch pressing....no MJ listed as 'co-producer, just Quincy Jones!). Excited!:thumb: On the other hand, a recent 'miss'....three barely used, possibly unused, Grace Level ll styli in original packaging, an AL (aluminium cantilever w/HE stylus), an RC (rare ceramic cant. w/HE stylus) and a BR/MR (Boron cant. w/microridge stylus) being auctioned by a Sth Korean dude (soundmeon), starting at $208 with no bids at four days left. Unfortunately he then sold them locally and removed them from ebay. I nearly cried!:( I should have put in an early bid, but wanted to snap them at the death, as I normally do:P......backfired on me big time! I'll never see a deal like that again.......sob!:unsure: