Sign in to follow this  
Herbyj

Supratek DHT

I recently had Mick send me a rebuilt Supratek Cabernet Dual with 300b tubes. It is superb, and to me easily bettered my previous 101d CSLS.

He is a master of his art! 

8 hours ago, AudioGeek said:

I recently had Mick send me a rebuilt Supratek Cabernet Dual with 300b tubes. It is superb, and to me easily bettered my previous 101d CSLS.

He is a master of his art! 

I have owned one for years and it has seen off every other preamp i have tried.My system loses its soul without it.

I would like to hear it with Elrog 300Bs -although the The TJ meshplates sound excellent.

Jon, I tried shuguang black treasures, but much prefer the TJ mesh plates as suggested by Mick.

I have heard there are quality issues witb the Elrogs.

Yes, I heard recently from Mick Maloney that he is going back into Supratek production.

I currently use one of his later model Cortese 4P1L DHT valve preamps. It's a gorgeous clear sounding preamplifier - the built in Moving Coil phono stage is world class, imho.

His latest designs sound accurate with tight bass while still hanging onto valve virtues (harmonically rich and expressive). Very nice when mated with a solid state amplifier - you get accuracy plus musical engagement.

Cheers,

Steve.

Unfortunately my experience differs considerably from the folks above. Based in such hyped up responses I went ahead and bought one of these preamps about 2 years ago and as soon as it arrived realised what a mistake I made. It's the single worst piece of hifi gear I ever had in my system. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Good luck to all of you. 

Cheers 

On 28/09/2016 at 9:15 AM, Gandra said:

Unfortunately my experience differs considerably from the folks above. Based in such hyped up responses I went ahead and bought one of these preamps about 2 years ago and as soon as it arrived realised what a mistake I made. It's the single worst piece of hifi gear I ever had in my system. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Good luck to all of you. 

Cheers 

Yepp never been impressed either, overrated IME.  People here have previously been flamed, burnt and toasted for such comments.    

are those the amps that have the untidy wiring that would be a nightmare for techs to problem solve if anything went wrong with them?

5 minutes ago, andythiing said:

are those the amps that have the untidy wiring that would be a nightmare for techs to problem solve if anything went wrong with them?

Yepp.  

37 minutes ago, Gandra said:

Cheers 

Interesting first post ...

i look forward to the rest of your contributions on SNA

Edited by Sir Sanders Zingmore

1 hour ago, Peter_F said:

Yepp never been impressed either, overrated POS IME.  People here have previously been flamed, burnt and toasted for such comments.    

Well that does not surprise me.Coming from somebody who is on record as saying they do not care about things like image depth and precision.Because that is the area where the Supratek preamps excel-especially the DHT ones.

Most of us here do care about these things however.Indeed that is arguably what defines the difference between audiophile and everybody else.

Not everybody will like every component and preamps are most especially prone to requiring synergistic interaction with power amps.

People who buy a preamp without hearing it with their power amp [or vice versa] are  likely to encounter disappointment.

14 minutes ago, THOMO said:

Well that does not surprise me.Coming from somebody who is on record as saying they do not care about things like image depth and precision.Because that is the area where the Supratek preamps excel-especially the DHT ones.

Most of us here do care about these things however.Indeed that is arguably what defines the difference between audiophile and everybody else.

Not everybody will like every component and preamps are most especially prone to requiring synergistic interaction with power amps.

People who buy a preamp without hearing it with their power amp [or vice versa] are  likely to encounter disappointment.

Sounds like audiophile BS to me Jon.  I like music to sound real, not manufactured or artificial like the terms you have described.   

2 hours ago, Peter_F said:

Sounds like audiophile BS to me Jon.  I like music to sound real, not manufactured or artificial like the terms you have described.   

Peter,

Do you watch films?What is real about the way cameras and lighting are used to make the experience more enjoyable.A play is real.A live acoustic band is real.A film made using a camera  sat in one position with no panning or close ups is real.

But is it better than a really well produced film or recording?Or just different?

Edited by THOMO

Guest BobbyD
On ?22?/?09?/?2016 at 2:31 PM, Steve M said:

Yes, I heard recently from Mick Maloney that he is going back into Supratek production.

I currently use one of his later model Cortese 4P1L DHT valve preamps. It's a gorgeous clear sounding preamplifier - the built in Moving Coil phono stage is world class, imho.

His latest designs sound accurate with tight bass while still hanging onto valve virtues (harmonically rich and expressive). Very nice when mated with a solid state amplifier - you get accuracy plus musical engagement.

Cheers,

Steve.

I do not own a Supratek, but have heard Steve M's in his system and I liked what I heard. A very engaging sound.

I must admit I am surprised by the negative comments, but hey... everyone's got a different opinion/ experience.

when the opinions on an amp are polarising, it all comes down to the look:

chenin.jpg

Edited by Happy

4 hours ago, andythiing said:

And the shiny silver bulb thingies that have absolutely no purpose in life.