Raspberry Pi + Hifiberry DAC Owners & Discussion Thread

I think, because the RPi is such a small cheap device, many projects target it as a single use appliance, hence you download and install the OS and app all at once.   You can still install other stuff by accessing the device using ssh and installing packages from the command line manually.  You could even build up to having a full desktop OS, starting from, say, Volumio's base install.

DietPi just makes it a bit easier.  Just using their config menu, I was able to add a webserver with php, and install Webmin, as well as the MPD player and a couple of apps to use it such as Mopidy and O!MPD web interface along with it's mysql database, all from what they call their 'optimized' set of software.   The small RPi can surely do quite a lot.

My wife wants the music server back (by which she means Volumio) so I swapped SDcards back again and reconnected the RPi to the DAC and stereo.   Sigh, I'll just have to buy a second RPi to play with.

DietPi well explained.

In the past I once had to install a couple of packages from Github onto a tablet,  my impression being there was more independence between the OS and the packages than there is with these music apps.

I suppose you'll just have load a new SD card to run a different music app.

4 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Just using their config menu, I was able to add a webserver with php, and install Webmin, as well as the MPD player and a couple of apps to use it

Question about your MPD install.  Is it true that, once anyone has Raspbian installed, and then installs MPD, you can stream music headless from a NAS (on the Pi ethernet) by simply using a compatible handheld android app as the control point? 

I mean, it can't be as straight forward as that.

Edited by marten

Hi guys, I stumbled upon this thread but I have no experience using rpi as a music player. Forgive my ignorance, but is rpi with moodle a better music player than modern computers with an external dac (creative sound blaster play 3)? 

Also does it play music from a nas drive?

thanks

1 minute ago, Xxharry said:

Hi guys, I stumbled upon this thread but I have no experience using rpi as a music player. Forgive my ignorance, but is rpi with moodle a better music player than modern computers with an external dac (creative sound blaster play 3)? 

thanks

A rpi with a good dac and with clean and stable power supply can be a very enjoyable proposition.  I find mine suitable for critical listening.

I have not ventured down the path of a full house USB setup (noise removal/ signal buffering etc), so i have no relative measure.

Using a rpi as a music player is easy.  Write image to card - and put card in the slot.  Power on.  Thats for the most part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marten said:

Question about your MPD install.  Is it true that, once anyone has Raspbian installed, and then installs MPD, you can stream music headless from a NAS (on the Pi ethernet) by simply using a compatible handheld android app as the control point? 

I mean, it can't be as straight forward as that.

I often use an android app,  M.A.L.P., Mupeace, MPD control being good examples, to play music straight to the MPD player that's behind Volumio.  To get to the NAS, you have to mount the NAS drive locally, using something like Samba, so MPD can see it.   I have a local USB drive mounted in one of the RPi's USB slots, but I also have a Samba mounted NAS drive, and I can play music from either.

1 hour ago, Xxharry said:

thanks

I don't have a high end DAC, but a Raspberry Pi running software like MPD playing a flac file through my Fiio E10K usb DAC is as good as I have heard here.

The music just has to be readable locally, so if you mount a NAS drive, then the player just reads it the same as if it is on local storage.  

The pi itself is a very good solution for a nas . I use my other pi 3 running openmediavault on a micro sd card . My main streamer atm is a pi3 with hifiberry digi+pro with a lps .. very impressed with sound .

1 minute ago, Boomboy said:

The pi itself is a very good solution for a nas . I use my other pi 3 running openmediavault on a micro sd card . My main streamer atm is a pi3 with hifiberry digi+pro with a lps .. very impressed with sound .

Yes, even Volumio exposes drives plugged into it as shares.  It even re-shares the NAS drive I have mounted, so adding a nice large USB drive to the pi running my music system, means it could be used as a cheap bit of NAS.

18 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Yes, even Volumio exposes drives plugged into it as shares.  It even re-shares the NAS drive I have mounted, so adding a nice large USB drive to the pi running my music system, means it could be used as a cheap bit of NAS.

I haven't tried it but are you saying you could use a Pi and a HD to act as a NAS, for example, for another Pi. 

10 hours ago, Boomboy said:

I'm just in Langy and if you want to hear my DIY USB DXD DAC I have made and Pi setup, PM sometime. The DAC uses the AK4495 and XMOS processor with five filter selections. The OPAMP output buffer is flat to 50MHz. Yes I know I have said this before but the same DAC chip as in the $45K Esoteric DAC. Finished DAC you can make for under $200.

I'd put it up against any $10K DAC and it would probaly eat it. 

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

I often use an android app,  M.A.L.P., Mupeace, MPD control being good examples, to play music straight to the MPD player that's behind Volumio.  To get to the NAS, you have to mount the NAS drive locally, using something like Samba, so MPD can see it.   I have a local USB drive mounted in one of the RPi's USB slots, but I also have a Samba mounted NAS drive, and I can play music from either.

How do you get the Pi to recognise the local HD plugged into one of its USB slots......I plugged in a drive and it’s not visible as a source?

2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I often use an android app,  M.A.L.P., Mupeace, MPD control being good examples, to play music straight to the MPD player that's behind Volumio. 

Thanks Vintage, for the tips about Samba and your example Android apps.

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

I'd put it up against any $10 DAC and it would probaly eat it. 

Really ?  ... maybe you can aim higher than the ten dollar DACs.

Why not throw caution to the wind and go head-to-head with those $29.95 DACs instead?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marten said:

Really ?  ... maybe you can aim higher than the ten dollar DACs.

Why not throw caution to the wind and go head-to-head with those $29.95 DACs instead?

I'm up for the challenge. Of course that was meant to be $10K DAC. 

10 hours ago, mwhouston said:

I haven't tried it but are you saying you could use a Pi and a HD to act as a NAS, for example, for another Pi. 

Yes, linux has all the software to share it, just like a Windows drive using Samba (and also NFS etc).  Some distributions, like Volumio, seem to do it by default.

10 hours ago, Bill206 said:

How do you get the Pi to recognise the local HD plugged into one of its USB slots......I plugged in a drive and it’s not visible as a source?

Do you mean it's not in the play library?  Maybe you just need to tell the library to update?

Under most linux distros, raspbian included, all USB drivers etc are there by default, so a USB drive just shows up as a device, which you can mount, usually to someplace like   /mnt/<device name> or /media/<device name>.  I would expect a lot of distros to mount it by default. 

Under Volumio for example, my USB drive is mounted under /media/D5A7-9130/   with a link to /mnt/USB.    The Volumio software finds it automatically and adds files on  it to the library.

• 4 months later...

If you thought the Pi music server was good under a small collection of OSs and onboard apps, well it just got better. Let's cut to the chase; Pi3B+. That's right an improved Pi. So what have they done to improve hardware. Basically made it faster. Yes there are other improvements so go Google. You really don't need the extra speed but for the gear centrics amongst us, YES WE DO!

Now add the cherry on the top with an improved MoOde. MoOde four (4) has been out for a while. I refused to upgrade because for me no more compiles or makes. From what I understand they have made it quite easy. But still, no thanks, I've too much of that in an earlier life.

Fortunately an SA buddy was right across it (I got him onto a diet of Pis) and had the whole procedure down pat. Still I hung on. Then came 4.1, now I'm interested.

My SA buddy cut me an image and sent it over. Happy to say MoOde 4.1 is stable, fresh and new. Works much better on smart phones etc and allows better viewing access to files, information etc. I'm a happy man. You need to make similar configurations and setups as before but nothing to challenging. 

Dan, my SA buddy, felt it may sounds even better. I think he maybe right. It certainly sounds right on with my USB, XMOS, AK4495 based DSD DIY DAC. Feeling in the MoOde?

14 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Now add the cherry on the top with an improved MoOde. MoOde four (4) has been out for a while. I refused to upgrade because for me no more compiles or makes. From what I understand they have made it quite easy. But still, no thanks, I've too much of that in an earlier life.

Fortunately an SA buddy was right across it (I got him onto a diet of Pis) and had the whole procedure down pat. Still I hung on. Then came 4.1, now I'm interested.

Has it caught up with Volumio do you think?

23 hours ago, mwhouston said:

If you thought the Pi music server was good under a small collection of OSs and onboard apps, well it just got better. Let's cut to the chase; Pi3B+. That's right an improved Pi. So what have they done to improve hardware. Basically made it faster.

Faster you say? Well I guess I'm up for that... will have to find out if my Digi+Pro Hat will still slot in ok.

Thanks for the heads up mwhouston!

• 8 months later...

Bought a Pie 3B + and set it up using Volumio. I used the on board usb to Chord Hugo. It sounded ok. I wanted to get a feel for the interface. 

Volumio works a treat with Buble PnP Media player on my Note 9 (Android) 

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Hifiberry Dig + Pro, is this the best value in this price range? 

I'm tempted to buy the Allo Signature Pro. 

Are there worthwhile Hats I should consider?