Raspberry Pi + Hifiberry DAC Owners & Discussion Thread

13 hours ago, mwhouston said:

I'm sure it can. It just requires IPs etc. 

10 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

In answer to your question; yes the Pi can play files stored on a NAS  via ethernet cable, with no PC involved. I have been using mine this way.

Thx for the answers guys.

Initially, I plan to use hard cable from the NAS to the Pi (via router). 

In contrast, to manage music from a smartphone using something like Volumio, a WiFi connection is better.  Since I haven't got a Rasp Pi yet, I guess I might aim for Pi model 3 since it has on-board WiFi (no need for a dongle).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, marten said:

Thx for the answers guys.

Initially, I plan to use hard cable from the NAS to the Pi (via router). 

In contrast, to manage music from a smartphone using something like Volumio, a WiFi connection is better.  Since I haven't got a Rasp Pi yet, I guess I might aim for Pi model 3 since it has on-board WiFi (no need for a dongle).

I would buy a "3". But now you can't use any metal enclosure. No big deal there are lots of really smart looking plastic ones. Best to set up on your WiFi that way you can access hundreds of Internet radio station. If you do not connect to your WiFi Volumio, by default, provids a WiFi hotspot. If you go this way select a password and channel one. 

With the WiFi hotspot, you can take your Pi server to anyone's house ( provided the storage connects via USB to the Pi), configure your smart phone to use the Volumio hotspot (takes 30 seconds) and play your files as normal. You don't need to connect to another's WiFi. It is so easy to do and works perfectly. I've done it a few times. All files on my 2T drive, out my portable DSD64 DAC (palm size) and into thier preamp. No other system is as good or as flexible or as cheap as this. 

• Like 2

Hello, all...

It was very interesting read and read whole thread here. Now, I think that I am ready to dive into Raspberry Pi route to set up own music server/streamer and just placed an order for RP 3..

What I do not understand is if RP 3 automatically recognise external DAC via USB without any firmware to be installed. I am planning not to have Digi Dac but plug LH Labs GO2A to RP3 direct via USB and use GO2A as Dac/Amp... Would this be plug and play or do I need firmware to install to make it work?

Thank you..... 

Linux was the first to provide probing from the OS to determine what devices are I installed. It will probe the USB ports until it finds a device. Using the I2S protocol, via USB, it will then load the device to the menu system and allow you to select that device.

As with all the variants on Linux this one is smart. My DIY DAC was recognised and load instantly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Linux was the first to provide probing from the OS to determine what devices are I installed. It will probe the USB ports until it finds a device. Using the I2S protocol, via USB, it will then load the device to the menu system and allow you to select that device.

As with all the variants on Linux this one is smart. My DIY DAC was recognised and load instantly. 

Thank you very much. My RP 3 has been shipped today so should receive it early next week. Keen to set it up and enjoy listening with RP... 

I tried Volumio for a while (with emphasis on while, I didn't last a day full), and could not get into it really. Now that I've got Rune working to a T, I ain't changing it! Even Spotify works (still....).

• Like 1

I loaded the latest Volumio on my main system with my AK4495 + XMOS DAC board. Got the Pi talking that DAC via USB but could not get DSD to play. At this point I'm back to Rune 0.4 for the main system. 

I was was looking forward to moving across to the more upto date Vol but I have too many DSD files to make the move.

Still just dipping my toes in here. Tried Rune but couldn't get any output although worked fine for Spotify?? Flashed latest version of Volumio and all files found and playing via Calyx USB DAC. Spotify add on working ok and web radio so calling success so far. All formats seem to be playing ok ( no dsd as yet) and Android app is pretty user friendly. Can't access web UI from laptop though..

Sent from my 5056I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Interested to know if anyone has tried the "trick" (modification) of placing a piece of conductive foam between the Pi board and the DAC board?

The video here  https://youtu.be/L83EEDbAMJI at about 1:22 minutes in, mentions the "trick" of using a sandwich of conducting foam between two pieces of cardboard placed between the two boards.

Not having any conducting foam I made a sandwich of single sided printed circuit board (copper side towards the Pi board), one piece of cardboard (on the Pi board side of the PCB) and one of non-conducting foam (on the DAC side of the PCB), to try the "trick" out.

More listening to be done but it does seem to change the sound, I think....

Comments?

@soundbyte I have a number of audio buddies (yes soft chocolate sound fuzz people) who think different - everytime - is better. They also find the old "different" is better than the new different.

Don't follow the slipper-slide road of different is better. Only better is better. But with every better there is a worse. With every bit of audio improvement there is a compromise especially when you are seeking that last 5% of better. And that last 5% you will never achieve. 

The lesson is "different is not better, it's only different".

@mwhouston

Mark,

Thanks for your comment.

I did not at any stage say it was better, only different.

I also mentioned more listening is to be done.

Other people may find it an improvement, who knows unless they try?

Have you tried the modification?

If not, I suggest that you do and report your findings.

I do understand the concept of better.

Russell.

• Like 1

Just added the Audiophonics I-Sabre V3 ES9023 TXCO (a mouthfull I know but they have 8 versions listed on their site).

Quite a step up in sound quality over the HiFiberry Dac+ in my opinion. I'd also give Moode Audio Player a slight nod over Volumio (v2.185) after toing and froing many times over the past 4 hours.

Edited by PicoWattson
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PicoWattson said:

Just added the Audiophonics I-Sabre V3 ES9023 TXCO (a mouthfull I know but they have 8 versions listed on their site).

Quite a step up in sound quality over the HiFiberry Dac+ in my opinion. I'd also give Moode Audio Player a slight nod over Volumio (v2.185) after toing and froing many times over the past 4 hours.

Sounds like you are really getting to the Pi\music server space. The DAC sounds good. Do you have an image of it? Cost?

I've never tried Moode. Is it as simple as Volumio to setup? By the way Volumio is up to V2.201. Would you highlight the differences in sound and use. 

Have Rune, Volumio and Moode all flashed to SD cards to enable quick swaps. In fact I've been smitten with berry berry and am cobbling up RP No.2 as we speak.

Image of the DAC attached, about 100 oxfords landed. Order from their site with confidence. Took about 5 days to reach my letterbox. Not sure of it's ropieee readiness.

Might have to check that with Harry ten Berge (sprockfish) at the roonlabs community.

Moode is not as intuitive or satisfying visually to use as Volumio but I'm after audible results. As this dac has it's own power connector which also lights up the RP and vice versa I'd be keen to give them both a good dose of linear PS and see if this results in improved response. Like to hear from anybody feeding the RP or this hat with good linear power.

Now Hans Beekhuyzen on his utube channel has already said the French dac bettered the Hifiberry which I can confirm easily on selected tracks but he goes on to say the mojo betters the Gallic contender. Now I had a mojo in for comparison today and I found it hard to repeatedly pick them apart. Could be my cloth ears, or the fact I payed for my dac and the mojo was on loan, but I suspect Hans may have been using an earlier iteration as mine displays the tag "new" on the Audiphonics site so may be a somewhat improved version over the previous seven.

Audiophonic Dac 01.jpg

@PicoWattson certainly looks the part. What is the DAC chip in use?

Also I never thought the Berry DAC a super performer but it is a good place to start to get you on the road to a Pi music server.  I find the Digi board and Jaycar optical\co-axial  DAC (does DSD64) the better of the cheaper DACs. But it doesn't outperform my AK4495 + XMOS USB DAC.

Lets know when you have it settled and I'll bring over the Jaycar DAC for a comparison. 

Mark we can arrange for a comparo to the Jaycar dac.

I also have the Jim Holtz Statements completed and they sound very nice. I'll be posting a build on these in the DIY section.

Front panel teaser attached.

Statements.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PicoWattson said:

Order from their site with confidence. Took about 5 days to reach my letterbox

Thanks, not Ropieee ready yet but would be only a matter of time.

I see you are powering thru the PI, website says to power thru the DAC, no difference?

I have the Boss DAC would be interesting to compare.

Awesome website by the way, just noticed a hdmi dac for Kodi, cool.

Edited by powerav
  • Like 1