Raspberry Pi + Hifiberry DAC Owners & Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

How do you feed i2s to that  AK4495 I don't see I2s input in it

I2S comes straight out of the PI multi pin connector  to the DAC on the sound card.

PI3 HiFiBerry Pro.JPG

PI with pre.JPG

4 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

I2S comes straight out of the PI multi pin connector  to the DAC on the sound card.

PI3 HiFiBerry Pro.JPG

PI with pre.JPG

I get where the i2s coming from the pi. what I was wondering is where the input for i2s in the AK4495   board all I see is USB

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

I get where the i2s coming from the pi. what I was wondering is where the input for i2s in the AK4495   board all I see is USB

Yes you we right the USB connection follows the I2S protocol or interface.  But you access it via the USB connection. So any USB device which uses the I2S protocol can be connected.

55 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

I don't know what the AK4495 is (a DAC chip or something I guess)

and would be nice to actually nut out exactly what you are doing

6 hours ago, 125dBmonster said:

I was referring to the AK4495 DAC board mwhouston linked before

10 hours ago, 125dBmonster said:

Yes a DAC chip. It appears some multi-thousand dollar high-end DACs use the same chip. Also the OPAMP which buffers the output is also used by high end DAC manufactures. 

7 hours ago, mloutfie said:

I was referring to the AK4495 DAC board mwhouston linked before

Thanks will go have a look.

Sounds awesome with the little pre amp, headphones or into the analogue rig.

Edited by Guest
off topic content

• 4 weeks later...

So if I want to get one of these up and running I need a PI and that dac linked to, what else do I need, what chord links the PI to the dac? And Power supplies?

New at actually building a PI system but they seem so simple I want to do it. For now I just plug in my laptop

1 hour ago, keitha said:

So if I want to get one of these up and running I need a PI and that dac linked to, what else do I need, what chord links the PI to the dac? And Power supplies?

New at actually building a PI system but they seem so simple I want to do it. For now I just plug in my laptop

Have a look at the photos above of the working systems 

You need the PI 3 (would buy a lesser one as they are well priced)http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/8968660/ $54 + post.

Also required is the DAC board, from HiFiBerry https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-dac-pro/ $44USD + Post

the 2 items of hardware plug together with on board headers.

That would be the hardware other than a USB Power Supply, HDMI Monitor, keyboard and mouse

The PI 3 has on board WiFi to connect to the home Network, but I would use a hard wired as it simplify's things some what

There are a few software options

http://www.rpimusicplayer.com/

@mwhouston is the master of things here and has done a lot more with the PI than myself'

Check this thing out :) 

https://volumio.org/tube-raspberry-pi-i2s-dac-finally/

2 hours ago, 125dBmonster said:

Have a look at the photos above of the working systems 

You need the PI 3 (would buy a lesser one as they are well priced)http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/8968660/ $54 + post.

Also required is the DAC board, from HiFiBerry https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-dac-pro/ $44USD + Post

the 2 items of hardware plug together with on board headers.

That would be the hardware other than a USB Power Supply, HDMI Monitor, keyboard and mouse

The PI 3 has on board WiFi to connect to the home Network, but I would use a hard wired as it simplify's things some what

There are a few software options

http://www.rpimusicplayer.com/

@mwhouston is the master of things here and has done a lot more with the PI than myself'

Check this thing out :) 

https://volumio.org/tube-raspberry-pi-i2s-dac-finally/

Thanks for the compliment. I made a rule upfront - it had to be dead simple or no go.

You require an SD card formater, and download an image file. Volumio is a good start. And an image burner. The SD card formatter and image burner and Volumio image are all free. 

Hardware is in this case is a Pi3, RS or element14 and the HifiBerry DAC+ daughter brd. Assemble the daughter brd on the Pi. Also an 8GB micro SD card which you format on the laptop and burn an image onto. Place the microSD in the Pi. Also use a cat5 cable to connect to your router, power the Pi/DAC combo with a high current USB charger. Wait about a minute or two.

Find out your wifi router IP and access it's via a laptop or PC. Type in the router IP into your laptop browser and devices and thier IPs should display. You will see an IP leased to the Pi. Now put that IP into your laptop browser and Volumio, running on the Pi, will display in your browser. Use the setup menus in Volumio to configure your MDP sources and entry your wifi SSID and password.

From the laptop browser revisit your router and you should see a wifi IP assigned to the Pi. Disconnect the cat5 cable to the Pi and access the Pi, from the laptop browser, via the new wifi IP. 

Thats the hard part. I can do it in 20mins from absolute scratch to playing music. But it took me three weeks to be able to do this. 

From the Volumio setup menu (top right-hand corner) drill down to select the HifiBerry DAC+ as the output device. All the above setting only have to be done once. 

Need more help, let me know.

Edited by mwhouston

2 minutes ago, keitha said:

I wanted to use this dac

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Assembled-XMOS-U8-AK4495SEQ-AD827-DAC-USB-decoder-board-/162019781127?hash=item25b921aa07:g:d34AAOSwJQdW91kq&rmvSB=true

But it seems to have USB input only?

How does that connect up to the PI

Thanks for the help need to buy a few bits now

This is the same DAC brd I use. You only need two Jaycar trannies to make it go. That's it. This DAC will outperform any commercial DAC to about $10K and play upto DSD64 and every other format in any resolution know to man etc. All you do is plug a USB A to USB B cable into one of the Pi A USB ports then into the DAC brd. That's it. Have the DAC turn on, turn on the Pi, select the menu, select output devices and xCore..... Will appear, select and save and stunning music will be heard. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, keitha said:

Is the PI3 power supply the best to use or could you use a battery pack like above

I've used both. Out of a 2500mAh battery pack for charging phones I got 4 hours of play. More than enough time for me.

Here are some images of my XMOS DAC (same as above).

I cant find the images??

There are a 100 ways to skin a cat. Never had to do it but I'm sure there is more than one way..

What you absolutely do not need to get a rock solid Pi music server up and running is; a keyboard, a mouse or a monitor. Not necessary. Everything you need to do can be through a browser on a phone, laptop or whatever.

Edited by mwhouston

2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

There are a 100 ways to skin a cat. Never had to do it but I'm sure there is more than one way..

What you absolutely do not need to get a rock solid Pi music server up and running is; a keyboard, a mouse or a monitor. Not necessary. Everything you need to do can be through a browser on a phone, laptop or whatever.

Was easy form me as I'm a total novice and haven't dealt with a remote GUI for the PI yet :)

Excellent set up post above. 

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

Was easy form me as I'm a total novice and haven't dealt with a remote GUI for the PI yet :)

Excellent set up post above. 

It took me a while but once you learn the sequence it's so easy. I also will not use any apps on my phone to drive the Pi. Just the browser. I'm trying to keep it as simple as poss.

Thanks for the compliment. I made a rule upfront - it had to be dead simple or no go.

You require an SD card formater, and download an image file. Volumio is a good start. And an image burner. The SD card formatter and image burner and Volumio image are all free. 

Hardware is in this case is a Pi3, RS or element14 and the HifiBerry DAC+ daughter brd. Assemble the daughter brd on the Pi. Also an 8GB micro SD card which you format on the laptop and burn an image onto. Place the microSD in the Pi. Also use a cat5 cable to connect to your router, power the Pi/DAC combo with a high current USB charger. Wait about a minute or two.

Find out your wifi router IP and access it's via a laptop or PC. Type in the router IP into your laptop browser and devices and thier IPs should display. You will see an IP leased to the Pi. Now put that IP into your laptop browser and Volumio, running on the Pi, will display in your browser. Use the setup menus in Volumio to configure your MDP sources and entry your wifi SSID and password.

From the laptop browser revisit your router and you should see a wifi IP assigned to the Pi. Disconnect the cat5 cable to the Pi and access the Pi, from the laptop browser, via the new wifi IP. 

Thats the hard part. I can do it in 20mins from absolute scratch to playing music. But it took me three weeks to be able to do this. 

From the Volumio setup menu (top right-hand corner) drill down to select the HifiBerry DAC+ as the output device. All the above setting only have to be done once. 

Need more help, let me know.

Can I please get some clarification of the process mentioned above, as I am new to this and find it confusing.

What exactly do you download and install onto the SD card? I've put the card into the laptop and can see that it is empty.

You mention Volumio, is this an alternative to Roon?

I see that there are a number of alternative operation systems on the Pi website. Are any of these used?

Sorry for the questions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok...so I've re-read your initial instructions and think I've made some progress........I've managed to copy the disk image of Volumio to the SD card......(using Win32 Disk Imager)...... now onto the next step....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You must use an image writer to write the image to the SD card. Have you done that? You just can't dump the image file to the card. 

Before this you must use an SD card formater to format the SD card (8GB) and select from Options - delete.

This whole process is dead simple BUT every process must be done exactly right.