Sign in to follow this  
Green Wagon

JBL 250Ti - Charge of the capacitor brigade :D

7 minutes ago, kelossus said:

I was thinking this also. But a 4-way? No thanks......

I would only consider doing it if I had a Deqx and then you need 2 for a 4-way. Your looking at over 6k just for the Deqx. Than factor in the extra amplifiers. It would cost well over 10k.

......would be very nice though...mmmmm...:P

On 18/09/2016 at 0:13 PM, kelossus said:

So I have been running the caps and the new woofers in for a bout 15 hours or so this weekend.

I think the caps have started settle in but I suspect woofers will need a little longer for the spiders and foams to loosen up properly.

As per my initial listening sessions with these they are huge departure from the traditional JBL sound. They are so well balanced from top to bottom, not one frequency outshines the other. Everything is equally as balanced. But not lets get carried away, they are dynamic as hell and the bass is prodigious.

They image superbly and the soundstage, as you would expect is incredibly tall. The most impressive aspect of them is the detail in the soundstage, instruments are clearly defined and layered. The older JBL's can get a tad cluttered with demanding material.

Since the charge coupling I am very impressed with the mid-range, the bottom range of male vocals is now completely full. There is no real tonal difference which i expected but there is certainly less grain. The tweeters are very crisp and superior to the older JBL titanium tweeters. I would say I prefer them to 2405 which is a fantastic tweeter.

From left to right I feel like I am being presented with a humongous image of the performance. Its like going to watch a movie at the Imax theatre when you are use to your 50" tv at home.

I could carry on about how great they are but my literary skills and ability to express what I hear are not the greatest.

They are excellent speakers and have been taken to an entirely new level. As with my L212's they will be with me forever.

Regarding that stereophile review. I would take that with a grain of salt. Gordon Holt would be in the minority of people who are not impressed by these speakers.

As usual Nigel did a fantastic job, I installed them and they worked first go. A statement to Nigels workmanship. He is a beast.

I've had the pleasure of listening to these speakers fed by a PDX DAC. Can't remember the amplification. I really enjoyed them pre-crossover revision so I can only guess what they'll sound like now. Having grown up with a set of JBL L-50's I can attest that these sound nothing like what I personally perceive the vintage JBL sound to be like. Very flat and a very big sound. 

Mark

Edited by scumbag

+1 on the elephant. Best avatar around her by far..............

" A statement to Nigels workmanship. He is a beast. "

Sure got that right. 

post-106429-0-24346300-1469837298_thumb.jpeg

OH you guys :D

Can almost hear the elephant going Weeeee....... Weeeeee........... Weeeeeeeeee.

Edited by Green Wagon