Audioengine A5 or Aktimate Mini

Hi guys.

I'm new in SNA and a beginner in audio.

I'm thinking of getting a new set of speakers this weekend, at a budget of $600+. to replace my cheapy logitech speakers. as much as i want to get a budget hi-fi (speakers + amp combo), i think i'll settle with a set of active speakers for now.

the options come down to an Audioengine A5 or Aktimate Mini speakers.

I can audition the Aktimate mini in Carlton Audio Visual, but they don't have A5 in stock (they only have A2, the smaller one :o).

so, anyone tried these speakers before can share an insight?

cheers =)

Hi vzion, welcome to the forum.

I seem to remember that others here have Audioengine speakers and speak highly of them. From memory, one was Waricle who hosted a GTG & members were very impressed with his Audioengine 2s hooked up to a squeezebox. While not the 5's, there is also an impressive write up in Stereophile magazine here:

http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1207ae/

Cheers

wolster

I have heard the aktimates and was a little underwhelmed. It was playing from an Ipod source however. I was standing close but it was in a big room, so not ideal. Based on that though i would probably get the A5's due to reputation.

Thanks lot guys.

i've read alot of good review for the A5. but can hardly find any information / review for the Aktimate. :o

now there's a cambridge amp on sale in trade section, i'm having a second thought to get an active speakers.

damn!!!

but can hardly find any information / review for the Aktimate. :o

Well the aktimate site lists a good amount of reviews from magazines and such.

What Hi-Fi also have a review on their site bout the Aktimate

• 2 months later...