Bowers & Wilkins Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Manufacturer B&W

rrp: $5699

Place of purchase: Forward audio visual Abborsford Melbourne.

Associated equipment.

Rotel RSP 1098 pre-amp

Rotel RB 1080 power amp

Rotel RCD 1072 cd player

Interconnects: Kimber Kable PBJ

Speaker cable Kimber 4tc and 4pr in bi wire configuration

The spakers themselves are beautifull, with a loveley veneer finish on them. Attention to detail is definately there, they look like a classy piece of furniture.

The spaker is a 2 way with 2 x 6.5" bass drivers and a 6" kevler FST midrange. The tweeter is a 1" alloy dome.

They come with a choice of spikes or rubber feet to pick from. I used the spikes, but only after finding the perfect placement or them in the room. It is much easier to move them around without the spikes. Once you find that sweet spot hen add the spikes to them

First disc i played is a disc i use to tune and demo car audio systems. Its called Alpine F1 status dic and is a HDCD.

Track 9 Into the night, is a simple track which features a male vocal centre stage with female backing vocals slightly to the left. There are also 3 acoustic guitars left, centre and right.

This was portrayed perfectly with the 703,s. The males voice is deep and there wasn't a trace of chestiness to his voice. Yo could easily pinpoint each acoustic guitar. What let me down at first though was i felt is was a tad bright, but after some running in they settled down.

Track 6 Flying Female vocal centre stage with a powerfull bass. The female vocal seemed very real, she was forward centre stage. The powerfull bass however lacked a little something. Not having an spl metre on hand i would say around 40-45Hz was were it started to roll off.

Next disc i through in there was Dire straits Brothers in arms and went straight to track 4, your latest trick.

It opens with a horn intro which was remarkable. You could close your eyes and picture him standing there up on the stage with pint point accuracy.

Track 2: Money for nothing is a track i like to play loud, esspecialy in the drum sequence. Even at loud volumes these speakers still sounded detailed.

They definately do not have a laid back sound, and after some running in they are not in your face bright, they are a very reveiling speaker however and if you do not like a slight edginess at the top end these are fefinately not for you.

But as i said before they do settle down in time, but i would be aware of what sort of room you place them in.

Of course all the equipment is still new, amps only been 4 days old and speakers about 7 days old, so there is definately more burning in time required.

I will do another update on this review in about 2 weeks time as things run in more.

Manufacturer B&W

rrp: $5699

Associated equipment.

Rotel RSP 1098 pre-amp

Rotel RB 1080 power amp

Rotel RCD 1072 cd player

The spakers themselves are beautifull, with a loveley veneer finish on them. Attention to detail is definately there, they look like a classy piece of furniture.

The spaker is a 2 way with 2 x 6.5" bass drivers and a 6" kevler FST midrange. The tweeter is a 1" alloy dome.

They come with a choice of spikes or rubber feet to pick from. I used the spikes, but only after finding the perfect placement or them in the room. It is much easier to move them around without the spikes. Once you find that sweet spot hen add the spikes to them

First disc i played is a disc i use to tune and demo car audio systems. Its called Alpine F1 status dic and is a HDCD.

Track 9 Into the night, is a simple track which features a male vocal centre stage with female backing vocals slightly to the left. There are also 3 acoustic guitars left, centre and right.

This was portrayed perfectly with the 703,s. The males voice is deep and there wasn't a trace of chestiness to his voice. Yo could easily pinpoint each acoustic guitar. What let me down at first though was i felt is was a tad bright, but after some running in they settled down.

Track 6 Flying Female vocal centre stage with a powerfull bass. The female vocal seemed very real, she was forward centre stage. The powerfull bass however lacked a little something. Not having an spl metre on hand i would say around 40-45Hz was were it started to roll off.

Next disc i through in there was Dire straits Brothers in arms and went straight to track 4, your latest trick.

It opens with a horn intro which was remarkable. You could close your eyes and picture him standing there up on the stage with pint point accuracy.

Track 2: Money for nothing is a track i like to play loud, esspecialy in the drum sequence. Even at loud volumes these speakers still sounded detailed.

They definately do not have a laid back sound, and after some running in they are not in your face bright, they are a very reveiling speaker however and if you do not like a slight edginess at the top end these are fefinately not for you.

But as i said before they do settle down in time, but i would be aware of what sort of room you place them in.

Of course all the equipment is still new, amps only been 4 days old and speakers about 7 days old, so there is definately more burning in time required.

I will do another update on this review in about 2 weeks time as things run in more.

Nice work, thanks for that JohnA. We look forward to hearing more about the B&W's as they age in

Manufacturer B&W

rrp: $2499

Associated equipment.

Rotel RSP 1098 pre-amp

Rotel RB 1080 power amp

Rotel RCD 1072 cd player

I decided to hook hese up as main speakers to see what they were like. The finish on them just like with the 703's is first class. You get a set of rubber feet for them, but no spikes as they will be mouted on stands. I have placed them on the B&W FS700 stands.

• Description: - 2-way vented-box system

• Freq. Response: 40Hz – 25kHz ±3dB on reference axis

• Freq. Range: -6dB at 30Hz and 50kHz

• Sensitivity: 90dB spl (2.83V, 1m)

• Nominal Impedance: 8Ω (minimum 3.0Ω)

• Power Handling: 50W – 120W into 8Ω on unclipped programme

• Height: 421mm (16.6 in)

• Width: 222mm (8.7 in)

• Depth: 319mm (12.6 in)

• Weight: 9.5Kg

I auditioned hem using the same music as i did with the 703's.

The first thing that was evident was the top end was not as forward as the 703's It was a more layed back warmer sound.

Midbass attack was great, midrange clean without a hint of chestiness to male vocals.

As mentioned the top end was detailed but no were near as forward sounding as on the 703's.

Soundstage was as wide as the 703 but they lacked a little depth compared to the 703's.

I started off by placing them closer to the walls than the 703's where. It gained some stronger bottom end but the midbass attack just wasn't the same. Bringing them forward to the same possition as the 703's seemed to work the best.

But its best to experiment in the room you would be placing them.

If using in a home theatre setup you would definately want to inest in a good subwoofer. I have no hessitation in recommending these for a good quality 2 channel setup.

Again i will do a follow up on this review, as i still need to run them in and want to experiment with filling the stands.

I picked the 704s over the 703s cause I could live with the slightly weaker bass, but not with the very forward sound.  The 703s are definitely an aquired taste, that require careful placement and equipment matching.

Spot on, you will also need to soften a room up for these speakers. When i first auditioned these, it was with an arcam setup and i didn't like it. I even listened tot he 804s with the arcam and although the sound was great, it did tend to get a little bright at higher volumes.

The main reason i went for the 703's was for the midrange clarity, and since the room they will be placed in will be a dedicated room, i can set it up properly to get he most out of tham

John, do the 705's have the screw holes in the bottom to secure them to the matching B&W stands like the 805's do??

yes they sure do.

In the box they brovide a set of rubber feet and no spikes. With the stands they provide the screws to mount to the stands.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update now that these speakers and amp have had many more hours of running in time.

Re-positioned the speakers, and in my room fount the best i got out of them was 2.2mtrs apart, 0.51mtr from the side walls and 1.1mtrs from the rear wall. Toe in would be around 10deg.

In this possition i get he bst depth and width. With more toe in, you lost a little width and depth, nothing huge, but noticable.

What has changed since i first posted up.

1: The top end has mellowed out. Not as bright as it was, still a forward sound but it can be turned up loud without losing its clarity nor getting bright.

2: The bass has realy come to life, at first it seemed too soft and i found i was wanting to fire up the sub with dance music. Not anymore, even though when i am not doing any critical listening i fire the sub up, with the mains crossed over at 40Hz and the sub taking care of anything bellow that.

everything else is still the same. Imaging is amazing as is the midrange and top end clarity.

I will be happy with this speaker setup for many years to come, even though the bottom end still doesn't have that wall moving, glass shaking bass, i can just turn on the sub when the need arises. The other thing is i will be wanting alot more well recorded cd's, as badly recorded cd's on such a revealing speaker just don't go.

good to hear the top end has mellowed out and you've find the optimum position for them too. Also wrapped to hear about the top end, mid-range clarity and imaging.

i'd say for the rom they are in, definately the optimal possition. Would like to move them further from the side walls, but then they would be too close together.

Will try also moving them a little further forward to hear if there is any change.

But yes the top end has completely changed.

But i will say this, if your room is not audio friendly, hardwood floors, bare walls, etc, etc, i wouldn't recommend these speakers as i dare say they would be way too bright in a room like that, unless ofcourse that is what you like in a speaker

~

But i will say this, if your room is not audio friendly, hardwood floors, bare walls, etc, etc, i wouldn't recommend these speakers as i dare say they would be way too bright in a room like that, unless ofcourse that is what you like in a speaker

hehehe know what you mean my missions are bit like that ! you get the clarity, detail, dynamics and soundstage but yes put it in a hard room or one too small or listen a little too close up and can be a bit overpowering.

Just a quick update now that these speakers and amp have had many more hours of running in time.

Re-positioned the speakers, and in my room fount the best i got out of them was 2.2mtrs apart, 0.51mtr from the side walls and 1.1mtrs from the rear wall. Toe in would be around 10deg.

In this possition i get he bst depth and width. With more toe in, you lost a little width and depth, nothing huge, but noticable.

What has changed since i first posted up.

1: The top end has mellowed out. Not as bright as it was, still a forward sound but it can be turned up loud without losing its clarity nor getting bright.

2: The bass has realy come to life, at first it seemed too soft and i found i was wanting to fire up the sub with dance music. Not anymore, even though when i am not doing any critical listening i fire the sub up, with the mains crossed over at 40Hz and the sub taking care of anything bellow that.

everything else is still the same. Imaging is amazing as is the midrange and top end clarity.

I will be happy with this speaker setup for many years to come, even though the bottom end still doesn't have that wall moving, glass shaking bass, i can just turn on the sub when the need arises. The other thing is i will be wanting alot more well recorded cd's, as badly recorded cd's on such a revealing speaker just don't go.

John ,I have Rotel electronics with Tannoy dual concentrics and I found that the sound continued to improve and mellow out over a period of months.Rotel stuff tends to be a bright and hard until it is run in but once it is one just becomes wrapped up in the music.

One relatively inexpensive upgrade that I have made was to purchase a Thor Premium A2 ($299 retail) as discussed on Club Rotel forum.Just about every area of performance improved when all the low level electronics were connected through this unit.

Gordon

One relatively inexpensive upgrade that I have made was to purchase a Thor Premium A2 ($299 retail) as discussed on Club Rotel forum.Just about every area of performance improved when all the low level electronics were connected through this unit.

Gordon

I can vouch on the Thor board also - it reduced the background noise I was hearing at times and 'cleaned up' the sound a bit... amazing what the little board can do ...

I can vouch on the Thor board also - it reduced the background noise I was hearing at times and 'cleaned up' the sound a bit... amazing what the little board can do ...

I am using a different power board with surge protection and i don't have any issues with background noice or hums.

I would want to try a board like that out first before laying down money to see if it actualy does make a difference.

I am using a different power board with surge protection and i don't have any issues with background noice or hums.

I would want to try a board like that out first before laying down money to see if it actualy does make a difference.

Hi John , I didn't have any noise problems before I installed the board but just wanted to see if it would bring the improvements that a number of fellow Aussies on the Club Rotel forum had experienced.I am happy to say that in my case the improvement was substantial ,akin to installing a higher quality preamp infact. I am quite prepared to believe that the effect varies from location to location so a try before buy approach is not unreasonable imo.

Gordon

Hi John , I didn't have any noise problems before I installed the board but just wanted to see if it would bring the improvements that a number of fellow Aussies on the Club Rotel forum had experienced.I am happy to say that in my case the improvement was substantial ,akin to installing a higher quality preamp infact. I am quite prepared to believe that the effect varies from location to location so a try before buy approach is not unreasonable imo.

Gordon

and there lays the problem, finding someplace to let me try it first.

But i may wait untill i move into the new place and try it there

• 4 months later...
I picked the 704s over the 703s cause I could live with the slightly weaker bass, but not with the very forward sound. The 703s are definitely an aquired taste, that require careful placement and equipment matching.

Which IMHO screams of "Oh I just got used to them and now they sound great." Crikey for five and half k of my hard-earned they would need to sound f***ing fantastic out of the box. Running in speakers is the biggest load of bollocks in hi-fi/HT. If it was remotely true then why on earth don't they run them in at the factory before sending them to the retailers. "They sound much *(insert your own adjective here)* after careful running in" or "they are an acquired taste" are both acronyms for "the sales droid talked me into taking these home and I have to live with them now".

OMG, the snobs and snake oil salesman of Hi-Fi have found a new bunch of suckers to rip off!

Which IMHO screams of "Oh I just got used to them and now they sound great." Crikey for five and half k of my hard-earned they would need to sound f***ing fantastic out of the box. Running in speakers is the biggest load of bollocks in hi-fi/HT. If it was remotely true then why on earth don't they run them in at the factory before sending them to the retailers. "They sound much *(insert your own adjective here)* after careful running in" or "they are an acquired taste" are both acronyms for "the sales droid talked me into taking these home and I have to live with them now".

OMG, the snobs and snake oil salesman of Hi-Fi have found a new bunch of suckers to rip off!

Thanks for that positive outburst there Alfred Smith

I have heard said speakers of John's and they are pristine, yes fantastic as you put it.

And it appears you know Jack on this subject btw

Thanks for that positive outburst there Alfred Smith

I have heard said speakers of John's and they are pristine, yes fantastic as you put it.

And it appears you know Jack on this subject btw

I wasn't criticizing John or his speakers. I'm sure they are great speakers, although personally I've only liked some of the smaller ones B&W made many moons ago. I was actually having a dig at the age-old hi-fi lie about having to run equipment in prior to evaluating the product. By doing so, you simply become accustomed to the sound.

I wasn't criticizing John or his speakers. I'm sure they are great speakers, although personally I've only liked some of the smaller ones B&W made many moons ago. I was actually having a dig at the age-old hi-fi lie about having to run equipment in prior to evaluating the product. By doing so, you simply become accustomed to the sound.

Thanks for the clarification.

I do not agree though with your 'dig at the age-old hi-fi lie' of running equipment in..

Speakers in particular benefit from a break in period IMO - here is an example from a manufacturer I came across this morning (free plug Dlite :P ) - they run these in hard for 160hrs before shipping.

http://www.audiosupermart.com/store/index....o&products_id=9

My amp manufacturer (Elektra) also recommended a run in period of two weeks (constant left on) - something to do with temperature effects as some of the electronics burn in. I guess Arthur wouldn't recommend this if he didn't think it would help.

I have just installed some new big subs - others who know better than I advised me they would free up a little more after 100hrs. Makes sense as these things have a 27mm long stroke and I'd expect the big rubber surround to physically loosen up after some 120dB explosions. Probably a few microcracks may help. That they are flat to 10Hz now, I am too wondering if this would be noticeable sub 20Hz, but I don't care - any more and I'll be 'hitting the plasma' from the back of the room :P

I guess that puts my evidence from the positive on the table - I await yours in the negative Alfred :P

Growing accustomed to the sound - yes this can happen too. I have seen evidence of umbilical chords to MF gear :blink: (but the sound is terrific so that is forgiven)

Norpus, thanks for the free plug, all the zu speaker range now get factory run in, since manufacturung moved to a new bigger plant, and prior to that the Australian distributor use to do it before all speakers were shipped.

I personally am reasonably skeptical about big changes in sound due to run in, while I am happy to concede small differences do occur. Zu runs in their speakers partly because they know that because of their high sensitivity (101dB) they are often used with tube amplifiers with as little as 2 watts (yes two). These small powered amplifiers do not have the oompf to loosen the cone surrounds.

My opinion, any run in on drivers will be 95% complete after 10 hours (maybe longer for subs that don't move in and out as frequently). Tweeters well they move in and out 1000's of times a minute so should be run in very very quickly.

As for electronics running in I am not really experienced in as nearly everything I have bought in recent years has been second hand, but most of the parts used especially in good quality gear are made to stay within a range of 0.005% of their specs so they should not vary much at any time.

All this said, people much more experienced than you and I, like Arthur from Elektra, recommend it who are we to doubt them.

Final comment there is no harm to be done running anything in.

Edited by Dlite

Except green house gas emission from the extra electricity you used.

And the shorter life span of the product due to the extra usage.:P

ROFLMAO

I challenge anyone to a simple test. Someone out there buy two pairs of really expensive speakers. Run one pair for 6 months normal usage then arrange for a "blind test" against the virgin pair :blink::P

ROFLMAO

I challenge anyone to a simple test. Someone out there buy two pairs of really expensive speakers. Run one pair for 6 months normal usage then arrange for a "blind test" against the virgin pair :blink::P

instead of challenging people why don't you go do the test for yourself, to prove to yourself whatever it is your tryign to prove.

whats the point of this post of yours really ?

So the guy found the sound of the topend mellowed out over time. He likes the speakers, I've heard them myself think they sound awesome. Does anythign else really matter ?