Gremrock

Lenehan Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

From another Lenehan fan, I think you need ML2 Ref Ltds to get the most out of the BHK amps.

l haven't heard the BHK preamp, but own a BHK 250 and I'm surprised that the BHK combination doesn't blow you away :)

I have the sonicTransporter running Roon which is terrific, perhaps that is another option than the SonicOrbitor SE.

On 1/1/2017 at 2:48 PM, bhobba said:

I read where Devialet have this process called SAM that is software you can load into the amp.  You have to take the speaker to be measured.  Anyway someone took a little ML1 along and after SAM was applied it got down to - 28hz - are you kidding me?  Amazing.  Heaven knows what a ML2 would get down to.

Thanks

Bill

That was me, I took my little ML1 ref down to Len Wallis for the SAM treatment. The ML1 ref does a great job with my partington dreadnought broadside stands -  filled with Atabites in the central column and sand in the 4 outer columns (atabites gets expensive). The bass belies their size with good stands and good amplification, those speakers respond to a lot of good quality power. The ML1s IMO really sound best on good stands.

http://www.whathifi.com/partington/dreadnought-broadside/review

Measurements graphed:

https://en.devialet.com/sam-ready-speakers/page/lenehan-audio/lenehan-audio-ml1-reference

Edited by Nap250
more information.

1 hour ago, Nap250 said:

That was me, I took my little ML1 ref down to Len Wallis for the SAM treatment. The ML1 ref does a great job with my partington dreadnought broadside stands -  filled with Atabites in the central column and sand in the 4 outer columns (atabites gets expensive). The bass belies their size with good stands and good amplification, those speakers respond to a lot of good quality power. The ML1s IMO really sound best on good stands.

http://www.whathifi.com/partington/dreadnought-broadside/review

Measurements graphed:

https://en.devialet.com/sam-ready-speakers/page/lenehan-audio/lenehan-audio-ml1-reference

Any stand mount require good stands to work properly.. however on a more relevant note, I also have the ML1 Plus R's with a few extras, and they surprised me how good they are... Admittedly it was with a Big amp, but comparing them to the $20000 Limiteds, it was pretty impressive how good something 1/4 the price sounds.

Also my HD3 Cabinet ML1 plus Rs might be for sale soon to fund a 2ch project. I got them off mikes brother and just had them repainted, gone-over and upgraded to the copper screws, but they are kind of overkill for rear speakers, plus I want to go back to 2ch to free up a shelf for A new toy! Pm if interested and I'll let you know before I do anything :)

@gargui ,@awayward
Have you tried replacing the tubes to Tungstram PCC887DJ8? According to Bascom-King these really bring the amps & pre-amps "alive". They were the preferred tubes but being NOS couldn't be used in production units. I have them but my hearing & audio memory isn't good enough to swear on the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/19/2016 at 1:29 PM, Nap250 said:

I had my ML1 Reference measured by Devialet for the SAM treatment and it will be interesting to see what they come up with before and after SAM adjustment. I am hoping they update their speaker list at some stage soon. The measurements show the sound wave before and after amplifier adjustment.

One important facet, do you like them more after the SAM than before.... who cares how they measure if they sound worse

I'm not convinced about SAM to be honest :P

I'm throwing a torch here stating that principally it's wrong to do compensation in an amplifier to correct for potential anomalies that may be in a speaker, by applying SAM you're implicitly stating that the Lenehan ML1's need serious correction to work properly, is that the case?

What is the price to elevate the sub-bass to make the 5.5" driver go down to 29Hz, that's not for free. Would it not be better to free the small driver from the sub bass, and make it work more free without the big excursions that comes from driving them much harder. Read: Hi-pass filter + sub

My experience with SAM is not really that positivefrom a musical perspective, but that's just my subjective opinion, we alle have a right to disagree :P

Edited by haraldo

9 hours ago, frankn said:

@gargui ,@awayward
Have you tried replacing the tubes to Tungstram PCC887DJ8? According to Bascom-King these really bring the amps & pre-amps "alive". They were the preferred tubes but being NOS couldn't be used in production units. I have them but my hearing & audio memory isn't good enough to swear on the upgrade.

I have been thinking recently about getting new tubes for my BHK 250, can I ask where you got the Tungstram PCC887DJ8 tubes from, and did you get a matching pair?

9 minutes ago, haraldo said:

One important facet, do you like them more after the SAM than before.... who cares how they measure if they sound worse

I'm not convinced about SAM to be honest :P

I'm throwing a torch here stating that principally it's wrong to do compensation in an amplifier to correct for potential anomalies that may be in a speaker, by applying SAM you're implicitly stating that the Lenehan ML1's need serious correction to work properly, is that the case?

What is the price to elevate the sub-bass to make the 5.5" driver go down to 29Hz, that's not for free. Would it not be better to free the small driver from the sub bass, and make it work more free without the big excursions that comes from driving them much harder. Read: Hi-pass filter + sub

My experience with SAM is not really that positivefrom a musical perspective, but that's just my subjective opinion, we alle have a right to disagree :P

Hi Haroldo 

My current setup isn't ideal as the speakers are on an entertainment unit with Herbies audio lab big fat dots (which are the best solution IME). In this setting the difference is minimal, definitely not worse, but very hard to hear much of a difference. 

When we had them on stands at Len Wallis there was a small (to my ears) gain in bass. Part of the benefit of SAM is that it will protect the driver in the case of over driving (not an issue in my house since I don't play too loudly).

I think SAM may be another marketing tool and a just one more setting to play around with. 

Im trying to simplify my setting so a sub is out of the question in my setup. 

Chhers,

15 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

Hi Haroldo 

My current setup isn't ideal as the speakers are on an entertainment unit with Herbies audio lab big fat dots (which are the best solution IME). In this setting the difference is minimal, definitely not worse, but very hard to hear much of a difference. 

When we had them on stands at Len Wallis there was a small (to my ears) gain in bass. Part of the benefit of SAM is that it will protect the driver in the case of over driving (not an issue in my house since I don't play too loudly).

I think SAM may be another marketing tool and a just one more setting to play around with. 

Im trying to simplify my setting so a sub is out of the question in my setup. 

Chhers,

This extra bass extension comes with extra driver excursion, and this may not be good for the midrange clarity = more muddy midrange, distortion and so on...

Agree on that simplification thing:P

I have been thinking recently about getting new tubes for my BHK 250, can I ask where you got the Tungstram PCC887DJ8 tubes from, and did you get a matching pair?

I happened to be in USA on business and purchased mine from Upscale Audio however they do not ship international.

There are a couple of Australian tube suppliers and also one or two members on SNA are suppliers (I think).

Another site : http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/PCC88-7DJ8-Tube-Types/TUNGSRAM-PCC88-7DJ8

And yes, get them in matched pairs/quads

56 minutes ago, Willco said:

I get mine from Derek at

http://www.watfordvalves.com

I've found rare gems that are hard to find

Willco

More info please

what brand? 

What did you put them in?

Was there an improvement?

Cheers

1 hour ago, awayward said:

More info please

what brand? 

What did you put them in?

Was there an improvement?

Cheers

No I was generalising on supply of hard to find /rare tubes--I found this place always had the goods

Whatever you choose

On 03/02/2017 at 7:34 AM, haraldo said:

Of course.

That's what people telll me as well.

Regarding the ML1's,  they are pretty indestructible except in one area - you can over ex-curse the bass.  Eric Hider, the tranquility DAC guy, has a pair and forgot to tun on the rumble filter in his turntable - poof went one of the wofffers.  I had a pair in the US at the time I wanted to sell and while it was there got it reviewed (that's the famous review where one guy loved them - to the other - blah):

http://www.stereomojo.com/LENEHAN ML1 REFERENCE SPEAKER REVIEW/LenehandML1ReferenceSpeaker.htm

Eric took the wooffer out of those and replaced the defective one (under Mikes instruction of course) and sent them, with now bung wofffer, back to Mike.   He hasn't got around to fixing them yet, but I will sell them when he does here in Aus.

Anyway it brings me to what I think is the real value of SAM and ML1's - you cant over ex-curse the woofer.

Thanks

Bill

On 02/02/2017 at 8:03 PM, Gremrock said:

Any stand mount require good stands to work properly

Exactly.

Mike has gone through a few iterations on this issue..

First he preferred standmounts because they can be made more rigid easily.  But the cost of proper stands - I think the ML2 stands were $1700 - yikes.    I will be getting pair for my Magnesium Limited's.  But he has figured out a way of resonance cancelling in floor-standers where they now have as good or even better resonance dampening.  So he has done a 180% turn - his new speakers are floor-standers.  

First the ML3 got the treatment and is now the ML5 and has that very expensive Seas Exotic tweeter (who says Mike doesn't use expensive drivers).   He is now working on a ML2 type floor stander with the same or maybe a similar tweeter (the seas Excel instead of the Exotic - the difference is the Exotic uses alinco magnets).  So no expensive stands required.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

On 03/02/2017 at 8:13 AM, frankn said:

one or two members on SNA are suppliers (I think).

Yep - Stevenvalve and Rawl99 can get rare stuff.   They both know amazing stuff about what valves sound best and often can get NOS tubes.

Drop either a line if interested.  

Thanks

Bill

26 minutes ago, bhobba said:

Of course.

That's what people telll me as well.

Regarding the ML1's,  they are pretty indestructible except in one area - you can over ex-curse the bass.  Eric Hider, the tranquility DAC guy, has a pair and forgot to tun on the rumble filter in his turntable - poof went one of the wofffers.  I had a pair in the US at the time I wanted to sell and while it was there got it reviewed (that's the famous review where one guy loved them - to the other - blah):

Unfortunately this sounds like a case of people not listening for distortion.. Surely there's a certain amount of notice before the poof :(

1 minute ago, Gremrock said:

Unfortunately this sounds like a case of people not listening for distortion.. Surely there's a certain amount of notice before the poof :(

Maybe he left the room -  who know's.

Thanks

Bill

On 01/01/2017 at 3:30 PM, bhobba said:

Mate there is so much to disentangle here it makes my head hurt.  Mike measures it at his factory - heaven knows what kind of environment that is bass wise - he says its near Anechoic or something like that.

Whats going on has me beat - Sam, Mikes alignment - to me its all totally crazy.

Just to make matters worse Rawl99 has measured his ML3's flat to 18hz but everyone that comes over to my place says I get nothing like that from my ML3's - I don't even get the 25hz Mike claims - and he even set them up for me.

I will leave it to others who may like to chat technicalities.  I know Mike loves this sort of stuff so you may like to include him - but like I say it makes my head hurt.

There's no major mystery here.    The in room response, and the anechoic response of a speaker are very different in the bass.

... and so the anechoic roll off a speaker is going to begin (like someone speculated) at the tuning frequency (this is just physics)  .....  but the specific alignment of the box/vent/speaker, can make this rolloff gentle, and make it match the room .... and result in "flat to" much lower frequency.

On 03/02/2017 at 8:34 AM, haraldo said:

I'm throwing a torch here stating that principally it's wrong to do compensation in an amplifier to correct for potential anomalies that may be in a speaker

Why?

Speakers which do not have a perfect response, can be improved by filters which improve the response.

Of course --- That isn't to say that filters which are applied are always worthwhile, or even always an improvement.

What is the price to elevate the sub-bass to make the 5.5" driver go down to 29Hz, that's not for free.

Simple.    Less maximum output before non-linear distortion increases too much.

Would it not be better to free the small driver from the sub bass, and make it work more free without the big excursions that comes from driving them much harder. Read: Hi-pass filter + sub

Yes.

Edited by davewantsmoore

I suspect if I ever have to downsize I'm getting Lenehan speakers. Never before have I heard a pair of small bookshelves sound as good as @Muon N' 's after his CDP was modded. The thing that got me is how they really do sound like a much larger speaker. It left an impression.

Edited by MattyW

My Lenehan ML2 ref speakers are teamed up with a Prima Luma Dialogue HP with the Lenehan caps and resister upgrade, Rel T9 sub, Rega P8 TT, Rega Aria phono stage, Lenehan Foilflex cables, etc, etc. An awesome system with an awesome sound. Warm and incredibly detailed. Cheers Warwick.

21 minutes ago, Warwick Robson said:

My Lenehan ML2 ref speakers are teamed up with a Prima Luma Dialogue HP with the Lenehan caps and resister upgrade, Rel T9 sub, Rega P8 TT, Rega Aria phono stage, Lenehan Foilflex cables, etc, etc. An awesome system with an awesome sound. Warm and incredibly detailed. Cheers Warwick.

Hi Warwick, just wondering what impact the EGM power cables had on your system, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I'm very late to the ML2 buzz but I'm loving it so far. ^_^  

DSCF1003.JPG

7 minutes ago, Gazer01 said:

I'm very late to the ML2 buzz but I'm loving it so far. ^_^  

DSCF1003.JPG

Welcome to the club, ML2s are a very unique and special speaker, enjoy.

Are yours white or grey?