Gremrock

Lenehan Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

The ML2 Limited at least is a hell of a speaker, Ive never heard any other Lenehans but I'll have my ML1s when they finally get painted, this might help judge the cheaper versions, but essentially after a quick listen for fun, they'll be rears that never make a sound, because I never have time to watch movies..

@Darren69 If you post me them there Focals, I'll do a FREE that means no cost, comparison for you.

Seriously though home trial is the only way to really get a feel for a bit of kit.. I listened to 2 sets of ML2 Limiteds (1 was what's now mine at Rawl99s) in 2 different rooms, one even with my own amp, and they behaved very differently at home.. not In a bad way, but different just the same..

Very happy with the sound though now that i'm getting it right

One things for sure, iv run mine with,20watt class A which was nice at low levels.

150watts of macs latest mc152 which they really woke up to.

But once fed the 500watts they have now via my M8 500s it took them into lower orbit! , ML5's should take it to Mars and back :-)

Once the 2's find a new home that is

2 hours ago, mr mermaid said:

One things for sure, iv run mine with,20watt class A which was nice at low levels.

150watts of macs latest mc152 which they really woke up to.

But once fed the 500watts they have now via my M8 500s it took them into lower orbit! , ML5's should take it to Mars and back :-)

Once the 2's find a new home that is

Serious amps there John, respect.

How did the ML2's handle big SPL?

I've run a set of @mcb ML2 Reference with a Perreaux 5150B amplifier rated at 500wpc @ 8ohms.  They sounded fantastic and handled the power with ease.  Its the best I've ever heard them in his system.  

1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

Serious amps there John, respect.

How did the ML2's handle big SPL?

My amp is "only" the single Musical Fidelity M8 500s, @2x500watts into 8ohm and 200amps of Omph.

Its dual mono M8 brothers are 700each,,, these maybe next for the.ML5's.....

Theres no substitute for cubic inches as they say!(or watts)

Am contemplating ML2/accompanying stands ownership but need enough funds to be able to keep the 1038 Be's so I can test them against the ML2's in my own room.

Damn this money system. Will be recovering from the recent Meridian purchase for some time even though it was an incredible price.

Ask Mike Lenehan if it would be possible to audition the ml5's at home? They are coming to ADL and I'm getting a home demo sometime in the New Year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heard one of Dan's Bel Canto power amps on his ML2 Ltds yesterday.  It was pretty damn impressive I must say.  Can't wait to hear the mono-block set up.

Sorry to intrude off-topic on ML2 thread....

Any info on the new ML1?

From a tech point of view?

Price points?

Does it come in the same three editions as is Lenehan standard?

And how close is this to the ML2? :P

13495387_833550470112420_105050274095573

Certainly nothing wrong with the looks....

Anyone here that attended the Melbourne hifi show where this new model was supposedly showcased?

There was a time I was in dialog with Mike L, thinking of purchasing but I didn't dare, the closest Lenehan speakers that I could audition was something like 4000 miles away!

But I think the Lenehan purchase is something that is just probably bound to be happening....

Mike Lenehan certainly has courage, claiming that the ML2 (doesn't state which edition) is the best speakers south of TAD compact Reference CR1 :party

Edited by haraldo

Any Krell & Lenehan owners out there?

(Like for instance Krell KAV400xi)

11 hours ago, haraldo said:

Sorry to intrude off-topic on ML2 thread....

Any info on the new ML1?

From a tech point of view?

Price points?

Does it come in the same three editions as is Lenehan standard?

And how close is this to the ML2? :P

13495387_833550470112420_105050274095573

Certainly nothing wrong with the looks....

Anyone here that attended the Melbourne hifi show where this new model was supposedly showcased?

There was a time I was in dialog with Mike L, thinking of purchasing but I didn't dare, the closest Lenehan speakers that I could audition was something like 4000 miles away!

But I think the Lenehan purchase is something that is just probably bound to be happening....

Mike Lenehan certainly has courage, claiming that the ML2 (doesn't state which edition) is the best speakers south of TAD compact Reference CR1 :party

Wouldn't know which version he's talking about, but probably the Reference. 

I haven't heard the ML1 (well only a short listen) but the new model is Vastly superior to the old model. It looks the same as the ML2s which is pretty cool, but it has better bracing, same style plating inside to the ML2's, I understand new drivers and therefor different crossovers. But mostly as mike would tell you, it all comes down to the cabinet. 

Currently I understand it has the 3 variations with different crossover parts and i'd assume the Reference will have better bracing.

I think you'd be better with the ML2's if you have a larger room, but again Mike would be best to talk to about room sizing, speaker placement and recommendations there, but I run my ML2s in an area about 4x4m adjoining a small dining area thats maybe 3x3m and they work well. But ML3s I'm borrowing work just as nicely in the same room.

Somebody was trying to sell a pair of the new Shape reference for a grand or something under new price, if they have the flight cases, could be a good option to look at.

16 hours ago, haraldo said:

Mike Lenehan certainly has courage, claiming that the ML2 (doesn't state which edition) is the best speakers south of TAD compact Reference CR1 

Things have moved on - now its the ML5 - see Mikes section for more details.  It's likely my very inefficient (83db) Magnesium Limited will give them a nudge as well.

I have owned all of Mikes speakers and still own ML2 Limited and ML3 and the older ML1's.

The difference with the reference version is they have Duelund Caps and better cableing.  The Plus R use the the new Duelund bypass and better cabling.  Mike is holding a capacitor comparison soon to see what is the best base capacitor.  The normal ML1 use the Erse.

They start at about 4.5K and are a bit off the ML2 IMHO - the issue is the bass.  They also require stands - good ones costing $1k.  As you see price soon mounts up due to the stands, and those caps are not cheap either.

I have 'commissioned' Mike to build a ML2 version of the ML5 which will be significantly cheaper than the ML5 and not require stands.  IMHO that's the best choice for the budget conscious - but will still cost more than the ML1 with stands.

Gremrock you are at Kingaroy - best to make the trip to Mike's factory to hear the best amp - which I believe you are doing.

Best amps - ML2's are very transparent - it purely depends on what you like - they will reflect what they are fed.

My favorite is the BHK but it's pricey.

But probably the best compromise overall is an upgraded Ming Da:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ming-da

A number of people like Rawl99 can upgrade them for you.   Start a new  thread if interested.  When you get down to Mikes let Rawl99 know and he can possibly bring his upgraded Ming Da over.  I have heard it driving ML3's - its a ripper.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Hey bill, I had a quick listen to mikes ML1's at his place when I picked my stands up. They are nice but the bottom end just didn't do it for me. The only thing I'm looking at to better the limited is if I can get 10k and throw that into your Ml3s and an ML5 upgrade:). The other bloke however appears to be in Norway so a trip to the factory is a tad harder. 

Edited by Gremrock
Grammar and punctuation

4 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

The other bloke however appears to be in Norway so a trip to the factory is a tad harder. 

Noticed that and changed my reply.

The cost of shipping Mikes speakers overseas - ouch - they weigh a bomb because they are lined with steel.

Overall still think his best option is the new speaker Mike is working on.  But the cost of transporting that - even worse - but you don't have stands to worry about.

Thanks

Bill

Ml1s shouldn't  be too bad. It cost about $200'to post my preamp from the states to hear. An ml1 would be a similar size (so guessing $400-500total?) and you'd just get stands made locally. Any welder could manage something respectable I'd think. Still be decent value.  Would be more like $2000+ for the ML3/5 though for shipping...

Edited by Gremrock
Dangerous spelling mistake! :o

5 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

Ml1s should be too bad. It cost about $200'to post my preamp from the states to hear. An ml1 would be a similar size (so guessing $400-500total?) and you'd just get stands made locally. Any welder could manage something respectable I'd think. Still be decent value.  Would be more like $2000+ for the ML3/5 though for shipping...

Good point.

I have sent ML1's overseas and its not too bad, plus stands can be made  locally - but they better be good ones.

A good subwoofer can fix the bass issue.  Pity though the cost of shipping can be so high for the larger speakers - they most definitely are better.

To Haraldo - ML1's are still some of the best Mini monitors made - period and much cheaper than the TAD.  The new version while more expensive are much better than the older ones.

Thanks

Bill

1 minute ago, bhobba said:

Good point.

I have sent ML1's overseas and its not too bad, plus stands can be made  locally - but they better be good ones.

A good subwoofer can fix the bass issue.  Pity though the cost of shipping can be so high for the larger speakers - they most definitely are better.

To Haraldo - ML1's are still some of the best Mini monitors made - period and much cheaper than the TAD.  The new version while more expensive are much better than the older ones.

Thanks

Bill

If you tell the welder what to use and fill them with the right stuff it's pretty straight forward, but good materials aren't cheap. I'll have my old shape ML1s in a couple of days unless Mike forgot to post them:p I'll post something with what they sound like after a good listen. I agree the ML5 will be much better than the ML1 but remember it's a different sort of speaker and more than 3 times the price of the ML1

13 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

I agree the ML5 will be much better than the ML1 but remember it's a different sort of speaker and more than 3 times the price of the ML1

I was thinking of the ML2 version - its the same as the ML5 with the ML2 woofer.  It will be significantly cheaper - but of course not go quite as low - maybe 30hz instead of 20hz.

Still a bomb to ship.

Thanks

Bill 

On 03/10/2016 at 7:46 AM, THOMO said:

Excellent speakers but I doubt that they can go down to 30-35Hz because the bass driver has a resonant frequency of 48Hz. Bass would be more likely to start rolling off at around 50Hz or above.

I know, I know, that's the conventional theory in the textbooks like Vance Dickensen.

Thing is Mike has been doing this for yonks and read all the original papers by Theil and Small etc.  From that he developed his own bass alignment that does not do what the textbooks say.  In fact the ML2's are measured within 1.5db from 35hz:

http://www.lenehanaudio.com.au/ml2-plusr.html

This is one secret of his I would love to know but tell me the detail he will not, despite repeated asking.  All I get is a little smile and something generic like others have got certain things wrong.

Go over to his sub-forum and ask him about it - he may tell you - but remember its his secret that gives him a competitive advantage.

Strange - very strange.

I read where Devialet have this process called SAM that is software you can load into the amp.  You have to take the speaker to be measured.  Anyway someone took a little ML1 along and after SAM was applied it got down to - 28hz - are you kidding me?  Amazing.  Heaven knows what a ML2 would get down to.

Thanks

Bill

14 minutes ago, bhobba said:

.......................In fact the ML2's are measured within 1.5db from 35hz:

http://www.lenehanaudio.com.au/ml2-plusr......................

I read where Devialet have this process called SAM that is software you can load into the amp.  You have to take the speaker to be measured.  Anyway someone took a little ML1 along and after SAM was applied it got down to - 28hz - are you kidding me?  Amazing.  Heaven knows what a ML2 would get down to.

Lenehan specs say 35 Hz "in room " which does mean much especially if trying to compare to other speakers.

Devialet measured ML1's unassisted extension as 48Hz which I believe is a 6 db down figure .

Most speakers can have their low frequency limit extended electronically but it doesnt mean a lot if they havent got the excursion to play loudly enough to be heard at those lower frequencies .

Cheers Mike

16 minutes ago, Ando said:

Lenehan specs say 35 Hz "in room " which does mean much especially if trying to compare to other speakers.

Devialet measured ML1's unassisted extension as 48Hz which I believe is a 6 db down figure .

Most speakers can have their low frequency limit extended electronically but it doesnt mean a lot if they havent got the excursion to play loudly enough to be heard at those lower frequencies .

Cheers Mike

Mate there is so much to disentangle here it makes my head hurt.  Mike measures it at his factory - heaven knows what kind of environment that is bass wise - he says its near Anechoic or something like that.

Whats going on has me beat - Sam, Mikes alignment - to me its all totally crazy.

Just to make matters worse Rawl99 has measured his ML3's flat to 18hz but everyone that comes over to my place says I get nothing like that from my ML3's - I don't even get the 25hz Mike claims - and he even set them up for me.

I will leave it to others who may like to chat technicalities.  I know Mike loves this sort of stuff so you may like to include him - but like I say it makes my head hurt.

Just listening to Dami M's new release on Tidal - Classic Carpenters - much more relaxing.  World class voice and she lives just a couple suburbs over at Logan.  BTW Tidal via the Oppo is rather good but tried it on a specially designed audio computer and it sounded horrid.  Again beats me.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

imho it's the midrange that more than anything makes a speaker utterly magical or less so!  not the extension, there's always ways to deal with that I reckon :P

The best speakers I heard did not have that last bottom octaves... this was fixed by subs....

And I believe everyone here agree that pushing a small driver to do too much in the bass will have significant detrimental effects to the midrange.

what is our goal: enjoy the music !

lots of talk about SAM here, I auditioned Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution with some Devialet, with and without SAM. I clearly preferred SAM disabled...  More musical, more natural, more ... "nice"... in that situation there and then... source: macbook pro with music ripped to flac via eac...  WTF :oops:

Edited by haraldo

I'm a bit of a newbie to posting comments so thought I'd take the plunge with a couple of comments given I'm a bit of a Lenehan Audio fan.

I have a set of ML2 Ref powered by a BHK 250. For the last year I have thoroughly enjoyed the sound. I recently dropped in the BHK Preamp and thought the sound couldn't get better but was really blown away. The detail went up a level.

Prior to the ML2's I had ML1's Plus R which I moved into the study and now power them with a Naim Unitiqute 2 which I have to say is seriously impressive. Only 40W but it has some serious drive and as a streaming device in general it is one of the most stable I've come across. I use Roon so I push to the Uniti (which is not RoonReady... hopefully soon) via a Sonore Sonicorbiter SE. Great little unit.

Edited by Gargui