Sign in to follow this  
Gremrock

Lenehan Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

So..

I've recently come into possession of a nice little set of ML2 Limited speakers, and now the new search begins for what amp  to use..

They sound lovely with my little Audile EL34 amp, but at 28watts it just doesn't have the authority to control the bass drivers well beyond minimal listening levels.

I'm in the process of refurbishing the 2nd Bel Canto eVo2 to have a matched pair for some big class D action (well paying somebody to do it properly anyway), but think i'm interested in trying something big class A/AB from the likes of Krell/Magnus/Mcintosh etc, and I'm looking for peoples opinions on what suits them nicely, what you use, have used and love or hated with your ML2s.

I have a Rel G1 which is currently awaiting (and has been for a while) a new transformer to replace the humming original, which I'm curious to see how it goes with them.. With the right amp i'm not sure if i'll need it with these, but i'm also curious to see how many of you do like a sub with yours vs those who to not...

Cheers in advance for your thoughts :)

I've match my ML2 reference Limiteds with a PS Audio BHK 250 power amp, allowing the beautiful mid range to shine with an abundance of quality bass down to 30-35hz. I don't use a sub, it might be nice to have one to get down to 20hz but I don't feel I'm missing much with the bass I'm getting.

I would recommend getting a high quality pre amp as it made a huge improvement to the SQ.

I believe there is an Aragon amp on the market here in the SNA Classifieds which would be worth considering. It is a pure amp - not an integrated so that may be of significance.

Might be an idea to provide a price range to help tailor the suggestions a bit.

@Gremrock ML2 Limiteds are not just speakers they are great speakers. I have heard them with many many amps.

The absolute best was IMO a $20,000 Gryphon. We had a GTG where we compared several amps and the Gryphon was the best. 

Also heard them with the BHK and that sounds very good too. 

There was one amp which I did not like them with and I wont mention the brand PM me if you want to know.

They actually sound not bad with most of the amps we listened to. 

The surprise is how good a modded Leak amp did!

You dont mention your budget. And you dont mention a preference for valves, or SS or Class D. 

Anyway, the latest contenders from people I know and trust, and that includes Mike, are BHK monos, BHK, Audion and Prima Luna. I have not heard the BHK monos and cant afford the BHK.

I am a valve tragic so would consider the Audions or Prima Luna.

Enjoy!

Edited by Jventer

When I bought my Lenehan ML2 Ltds I used a Yamaha Z11 as my amp.  I thought at the time that it was up to the task.  I was very wrong.  Next I went to a BMC C1.  It was okay.  I then went to Vitus RI 100.  That was definitely a step up.  Next I changed to a Vitus SIA 025.  Now that is where I am at the moment because to go further is beyond my resources.  It is a seriously good combination.  What I have discovered is that quality deserves to be matched with quality. These speakers deserve the absolute best system components that you can afford plus more to allow them to show their full potential.

I resisted getting a sub for along time.  I was persuaded to try one.  I have it set so that I am not really aware of its presence. What I discovered is that the actual overall beneficial impact is an improvement with the SQ of the ML2 Ltds.  I would recommend using a good sub

John

Hey, Budget is a grey area, I have whatever i am to get for my current amps to play with, plus potentially selling the G1 and going crazy. ($8000 rrp so id think around $5000 would be a fair 6 month old price..) At this point I'm just seeing what the preference of other owners is. I have the Bel Cantos which are ca. 10 years old, and retailed for around $12000 a pair then here, and I've spent considerable money replacing most parts.. Im hoping i'll be dead set happy with these, but I can't run speaker level to the sub with them being class D..

Edit:

Also I see everyone replying has the Limiteds too, but please feel free to offer your thoughts with other variations of the Ml2s :)

Edited by Gremrock

I happen to have an amp or two sitting around that you are welcome to try out (trying amps is better than talking about them after all), are you busy on the weekend?  

I've got some respected names on show, Bladelius, Densen, YBA, Burson, and at least a half dozen others.

Edited by Cafad
more details were required.

Hi Guys.    The best amps I have heard with the Limiteds are the PS Audio BHK and the Prima Luna HP valve power amps (upgraded with KT120 valves and better internal  film and electrolytic capacitors )

The beauty of the Prima is that they are affordable ! The entry 40 watt per channel power amp is 4k and the 80 watt per channel HP you can pick up for around 5k. Both these amps with upgrades are a state of the art contender and both can be mono locked at the flick of a switch for double the power.

All ML2's are easy loads to drive ! I remember when Bill ran his with an 8 watt single ended Trafomatic , they sounded superb ( at late night listening levels of course) 

The PS BHK300 and 250 are superb things no doubt but the fact that you can sneak up on the SOTA with the Prima's is very attractive .

The ole ancientflatulence has his noggin screwed on I tell Ya ! Cost effective (in relative terms) and definitely in the ballpark with the best of what's available today .

My recommendation is the BHK's or full house monoblocked HP Prima's 

YeeeeeeeHa.          Mike Lenehan

Cheers everyone, I'm really just searching around for ideas and typically you're all over the countryside making listening to what you all have going virtually impossible! 

I agree with you mike, The BHKs are wonderful but about triple what I can spend until someone is ready to lose a small fortune and sell off cheap second hand!

I'd love to hear the 80w/Prima.

I guess the first thing Is to get my Bel Canto's sorted and back in place to try out, at 360watts+ mono they should have the grunt to drive them well and they performed admirably with the old ribbons, but these ML2s present very differently.. My valves are lovely with them but a little gutless when pushed...

I don't have the funds of the esteemed SNA members above, but I've been happy with my Vincent SV800 integrated amp. Runs 50W class A and I rarely turn volume past 9 o'clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 07/09/2016 at 6:31 PM, awayward said:

I've match my ML2 reference Limiteds with a PS Audio BHK 250 power amp, allowing the beautiful mid range to shine with an abundance of quality bass down to 30-35hz. I don't use a sub, it might be nice to have one to get down to 20hz but I don't feel I'm missing much with the bass I'm getting.

I would recommend getting a high quality pre amp as it made a huge improvement to the SQ.

Excellent speakers but I doubt that they can go down to 30-35Hz because the bass driver has a resonant frequency of 48Hz.

Bass would be more likely to start rolling off at around 50Hz or above.

Edited by THOMO

2 hours ago, THOMO said:

Excellent speakers but I doubt that they can go down to 30-35Hz because the bass driver has a resonant frequency of 48Hz.

Bass would be more likely to start rolling off at around 50Hz or above.

I wouldn't know on this, except they go lower than you could believe looking at them, if mike says flat response to 35hz I'm sure it would be, but talk to him if your curious. I have my rel back now so I couldn't care if they don't go below 50hz but I only have it set to 20hz(lowest x over point you can set) and it integrates nicely... 

Hey Dan, hope you're still reading this thread.  For the last year, I have been using a Bryston 4BSST2 with my ML2 Refs.  Even when I used a NAD M51 DAC as a preamp, the results were quite good.  Earlier this year I got rid of the M51 and began using an Octave valve pre  and that really did introduce a touch of magic.  The final result is that I have the terrific muscle of the Bryston with that wonderful delicacy and transparency of valves.  Imaging is sensational and it certainly works for me.

Oh, measuring my system in room, the ML2 Ref are flat to 35Hz and only 5db down at 30Hz.  Whilst this may not be ideal for HT, it is certainly adequate for 99% of my music.  I did have twin subs in the system before but they always seemed a touch slower than the mains - and I spent countless hours integrating them into the system.

Andrew

Guest Muon

Mike's measurements can be trusted, he has no need to fudge numbers :) as confirmed by owners.

1 hour ago, Muon said:

Mike's measurements can be trusted, he has no need to fudge numbers :) as confirmed by owners.

^^ However there will always be cynics and non-believers..

I've finally got my REL G1 back in place and its a game of trying to get it right.. Still progressing RE the Bel Canto amps so no opinion there yet, but I'm really swinging to the Pure Class A team from what I've tried on them otherwise... will be interesting to get the Bel Cantos back.. I think i'll either absolutely love it or hate it.. 

Also@Muon how low do the ML1s go out of curiosity?

Guest Muon

@Gremrock

I have an older pair that was the design before the HDF and metal plates, all HD3 so not quite as inert. I forget the specs on ML-1's but they continue to surprise me sometimes even these days at how well they do bass considering the size.

Amplification can be a make or brake there too, as with tweaking I sometimes seem to argument the bottom end via changes, cables, in amp components ect'. Even the phono stage will dictate if my bass is light weight or full bodied sounding. I'm only driving them with a PP, AB Triode strapped EL34 amp, (about 20watts a channel) but it does things I like :)

Thanks for asking, Dan.

Edited by Muon

Interesting.. The HD3 would have to be nearly as good as Steel plated HDF I'd think. I'm running a similar amp (I'm told 28watts with 2 EL34s a side) with these ML2s and its nice up to a certain volume (within most listening really) but when I want to wind it up a little the bass just disappears.. Too busy driving the higher frequencies which being easier get tended to first I suppose... But it was never intended for inefficient speakers..

I'll have a set of ML1s for back speakers soon (last of the old shape I understand) so it will be interesting to trial them against the ML2 Limiteds.. If I get time I might even start a thread on it if I'm as impressed as Mike thinks I'll be with them..

Guest Muon

That loss of bottom end at higher levels is odd, never experienced it with my setup, by the time I'm looking at eviction the bass is still there, not sure what happens after that. Maybe I have a n odd system...no idea.

I'll be very interested in how you find the ML-1's compared to the bigger brothers, :) especially whether that same thing happens in the bottom when in place of the ML-2s.

On 10/17/2016 at 8:45 PM, Gremrock said:

Interesting.. The HD3 would have to be nearly as good as Steel plated HDF I'd think. I'm running a similar amp (I'm told 28watts with 2 EL34s a side) with these ML2s and its nice up to a certain volume (within most listening really) but when I want to wind it up a little the bass just disappears.. Too busy driving the higher frequencies which being easier get tended to first I suppose... But it was never intended for inefficient speakers..

I'll have a set of ML1s for back speakers soon (last of the old shape I understand) so it will be interesting to trial them against the ML2 Limiteds.. If I get time I might even start a thread on it if I'm as impressed as Mike thinks I'll be with them..

I had my ML1 Reference measured by Devialet for the SAM treatment and it will be interesting to see what they come up with before and after SAM adjustment. I am hoping they update their speaker list at some stage soon. The measurements show the sound wave before and after amplifier adjustment.

Greetings Dan.

Another to consider is a Musical Fidelity AMS,  either the 35i or 35p with a pre, or if you want to go more power the 50p and the pre of your choice.

I use a 35p with a Mark levinson model 26 pre. Fully balanced class A, it sounds smooth, warm, full bodied and never strained.

There`s a few on hifi shark, getting the right pre is a must, the AMS`s have a valve sound.

Good luck.              Ian.

Am contemplating ML2/accompanying stands ownership but need enough funds to be able to keep the 1038 Be's so I can test them against the ML2's in my own room.

Damn this money system. Will be recovering from the recent Meridian purchase for some time even though it was an incredible price.

You gottit  baaad Daz!

1 hour ago, joz said:

You gottit  baaad Daz!

I know!!!!!! Call a priest, for the love of God!!!!!!!!!!