Hifi and music shops in Singapore....and impressions

Hi, 

off to singapore for a week soon.

staying at the rendevous 

https://www.google.com.sg/maps/place/Rendezvous+Hotel+Singapore+by+Far+East+Hospitality/@1.298702,103.8493145,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x873e3e522ce5befa

recommendations on hifi and music shops 

Edited by cafe67
Update

Hi

The usual place to look is :

The Adelphia

Coleman Road

Singapore

There are a number of retailers of new and used hifi, just remember that you only get about $A 0.95 to a $Sg1, so it can be pricey as many trade in $US ....

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 2

You're quite close to the Adelphi - maybe 15 minutes walk. I was there around this time last year and it's definitely worth a look, but don't feel that salespeople will flock to you just because you want to listen to stuff. Most of them sniff out the lookers from the buyers and if they think you're not going to spend, they'll mainly ignore you.

• Like 4

On 9/5/2016 at 9:34 PM, gemini07 said:

You're quite close to the Adelphi - maybe 15 minutes walk. I was there around this time last year and it's definitely worth a look, but don't feel that salespeople will flock to you just because you want to listen to stuff. Most of them sniff out the lookers from the buyers and if they think you're not going to spend, they'll mainly ignore you.

Agree with gemini07s comment, as I have been in Singapore for almost 10 years and visiting Adelphi about 5 times was enough for me and. But, certainly worthwhile to dropping in if you never been there before.

In my opinion, better to go this place, Millenia Walk at Raffles Boulevard. http://www.milleniawalk.com/. There is a shop called AV Intelligence inside right opposite to Harvey Norman. http://www.av-intelligence.sg/index.html and a B&W shop (never been inside) on ground floor. This place is very quiet especially after lunch on weekdays and there are few coffee places to relax. You can get there by foot from Adelphi walking through underground from City Hall MRT station following the City Link towards Suntec. From Suntec, cross the road to Conrad Hotel and the place is right behind. Or by bus from the hotel.

Time to avoid visiting SG especially is during August, known as "Ghost Month" where joss paper burning exercise takes place all over the island plus haze problem (August & September) coming from burning of palm oil plants in Indonesia covers SG skyline. But, so far this year has been good.

If you want to get a good currency exchange rates, head down to The Arcade at Raffles Place. There are many money changers and 1st floor is up the escalator inside the building are very popular. Avoid the lunch time if possible. Useful website here. https://cashchanger.co/sgd-to-aud

Bon voyage

• Like 4

20 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Thanks @vinilink 

most helpful - any suggestions on decent cd or record shops ?

Sorry, can't help you on cd or record shops to recommend. Used to have HMV and Grammophon, but both are closed down, but there are 2 shops in Adelphi sells both new and second hand. iirc, prices weren't atrractive. You will get a far better prices on vinyl here in SNA classified.

If you are really looking to buy cds and lps both new and second hand, Japan would be the best bet for huge catalogue. I don't know other part of Japan, but in Hokkaido, I bumped into a second hand lp and cd shop while walking along the street with great ranges of lps at an excellent prices. Another places for huge range of second hand lps is in Seoul. I will be going to Hokkaido and Seoul again late October, if I find any good places to shop for both cds and lps, I will let you know for your future reference. Travelling with my wife always limits my exposure to these places. :(

• Like 1

It's been a little while since I've been CD/Record shopping in Singapore but if you don't mind an independent chain then check out "That CD Shop" - there's a few around and they're pretty good about letting you listen to CDs on some instore CD Players (Used to be Marantz, may have changed) and headphones or may put it on the instore setup.

Vinylicious used to be a decent spot and they usually take part in Record Store Day of that gives a bit of context... If it's still around and you really like rummaging then check out Rec Point Record Warehouse - it's of the beaten track though.

Hopefully some of that helps.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

There was indeed talk about closure of That CD shop. Here is a short list - At Adephi there is Vinyl Lucky (Bo or Idris) in the basement. Upstairs there are several shops ie. Roxy, Simply Music (Violet), Memory Lane and a few more. Opposite Adelphi at Peninsula Plaza there is Vinylicious (Eugene) and For the Record (Giri). A short distance away at Burlington Square there is Hear Records (Nick). In brackets are the contact at some the shops. Hope it helps.

• Like 2

That CD Shop certainly closed down quite a few of their stores, although I walked past one earlier this year in Marina Bay Sands but didn't have time to head inside. A quick Google suggests that one is still around but the others have vanished.

If, like I would, you need a decent beer after hunting in Adelphi & Peninsula Plaza area then head to TAP Craft Beer Bar, it's in the back of the little shopping plaza where the Capitol Theatre is, so essentially next door to Peninsula Plaza...

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

And back, so i thought i would give my impressions. 

First up, walking around showed up a distinct lack of cd shops in most the shopping centres i went through, raffles city, plaza singapora, Ion. 

Popping into Ong Radio at the Centrepoint, a Mcintosh dealer and asking them where to buy cd or records had then looking confused and shoulder shrugging. 

Finally made it into the Adelphi which compared to same of the other shopping centres ,looks tired and shabby. 

Some the shops are very comporate and modern looking while others resembled a repairers shop. See photos. I didnt intend buying anything so didnt bother going in, but suffice to say some shops were carrying some big name stuff. 

Of the 3 actual records shops at Adelphi, New Village Disc was shut til october 10th. The 2 others ( Simply Music and Roxy Disc House) were cramped and carried bewildering array of mostly vinyl new a second hand. But new prices were nothing special against Perth prices and they were chasing alot of money for S/H. 

Both stores carried alot of Sacd, but not cheap, alot of the usual tired rehash and alot of asian artists in sacd.Roxy Disc House was so cramped and crowded you had to walk between the shelves side on , then walk out turn around to view the other side. Im buggered how you could view the cds on the bottom shelves as you could not bend over to look. 

Ultimately all i saw that i could have bought was the new Yello album on vinyl ($42:50) or some Stockfish sacd ( no prices on cds) 

Both shops persisted in playing god awful tinkly jazz standards ,  if i hear Take 5 and come fly with me , one more time ill scream.

down to Millenia Walk, interesting and thanks to @vinilink for pointing it out. The B+W shop was there with a pair of Nautilus speakers on display ( yours for $110k) never sen a pair before, lot bigger than i thought.

House of Turntables  (HoT) is now there from plaza singapura. Lots of Project turntables including their big top of the range one, plus project electronics. Good range of vinyl but again expensive for both new and s/h. 

Advantage A/V is also going there but shop was still being fitted out. 

Upstars at A/V Intelligence, popped in for a look and ending up staying for a while, very friendly young french guy. Chatted about gear and music. Ended listening to some Estelon mtm standmounts powered by Moon Audio integrated and streamer dac. Sounded good at a casual listen. Recommended to visit  here. 

Finally bumped into a That CD shop at Marina Bay Shoppes. Bit like a big cd only Jb hifi with a little bit of vinyl at not cheap prices. Cd were broken into various sections with big range of soundtracks, jazz, intrumental and audiophile again lots of asian artists on sacd. They had a big world music section that looked good, but annoyingly no prices on cd except for red dot $9.90 specials or 3 for 49.90. I ended up getting 3 for $49,:90.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg