Sign in to follow this  
buzz lightyear

New Wheels suggestions

Are they his rebranded Novatec hubs with Japanese bearings? Or your old hubs with new bearings?

His Speed Plus wheels are the perfect road bike spec with the Archetypes and the Novatec hubs but about $300 over my pricing expectations. Should be $280 for the rims, $250 for the hubs and $250 for spokes and build...say $800 all up. Plus freight.

Ours is not to reason why. Merely to point and giggle.

my Archetype 32 spoke 3X DT Swiss build with me providing the large axle campag hubs only was around $370 - paid that in a heartbeat so didn't seem expensive at all to me - in fact to the contrary

but it was also convenient as he lives only 10km up the road

I found that generally having wheels built, you always pay more. And the builders use stock manufactured parts anyway.  You don't always get a better wheel.

I prefer to use stock wheels that have been proven over time. 

really/ brand new expertly hand (not machine) made HPlusSon Archertypes 32 spoke 3* with NOS large axle Campag hubs to die for (admittedly took some searching but got them) cost me in total under $600

not being argumentative but it's horses for courses and I feel I got a very well priced set of excellent and unique wheels that will likely outlast me - and they ride beautifully for my needs

oh, RS80s get a good wrap and for good reason, but having to true a mass produced wheel at <1000kms did not please me at all

As for the hub it's new on their line don't think it's on their web site yet. Dt Swiss spokes front 20 spoke straight pull, rear 24 spoke. With silver brass nipples also with the wheels skewers and kool stop brake pads. 

Built for my style riding and weight I suppose I am paying little extra. I suppose labor in Australia aint cheap and I'm a sucker for hand made here oz. And can be serviceable if I need too.

In the end a nice looking wheel set. 

Edited by buzz lightyear

Ended up going with the H plus son Archtype wheel set. So far have manged to do 600kms on them. Love them noticed an instant improvement feels like a different bike perfect all round wheels. The guys at Craftworx where very helpful. 

it's a subtle thing, but I was amazed at the quietness of my wheels which I guess is to do with the quality of the components in synergy and a master builder getting even tensions and roundness

bit like vinyl vs digital, a difficult to put your finger on type of effect but one which I noticed half way around my first ride once I figured it out

and so it goes, every ride is a joy

+1 for Shimano Dura Ace c24 tubeless. I have spent far more and the c24 are still my favourite. The guys who build Dura Ace wheels are handpicked as the best wheelbuilders in the factory and only work on these wheels.

I noticed my comment above about the brake track on my Dura Ace C24s above and coincidentally I replaced my rear wheel just this week as the brake track was worn. I got roughly 17,000 kms out of it so that's not bad. Rain never stops me riding so i've been out in some horrible stuff, if I only ever did dry weather riding I reckon I'd get another couple of thousand kms out of them.

I noticed when searching online for the new wheel that most places no longer had any stock of the 9000 Dura ace, it was all 9100 which were a hundred bucks or more expensive. I couldn't see what the difference if any was though but then I didn't research too heavily as once I'd found a 9000 stockist here in Oz (Bike Bug) I grabbed one.

Gonna do some research from this thread, thanks all, looking to replace the wheels on my Merida Speeder 100. In the meantime I might play with the originals and teach myself to tension spokes etc, might even build my own if it’s not too hard. Like 32 tyres, wheels and 700c, haven’t measured the hubs yet.

Interesting to see my post about the Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 is now close to 3 years old, time doesn't half fly. 18 months ago I ended up getting some 9100 as the 9000 was no longer available anywhere. Still brilliant wheels and i'd have around 20,000 on my current set so no complaints from me. I'm letting the brake track wear more than I used to as it's fixed to the carbon fibre rather than an integral part of the wheel so my thoughts now are that I'll use them until the brake track wears to the point I can spot carbon fibre underneath rather than them just looking worn.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:13 PM, Hergest said:

Interesting to see my post about the Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 is now close to 3 years old, time doesn't half fly. 18 months ago I ended up getting some 9100 as the 9000 was no longer available anywhere. Still brilliant wheels and i'd have around 20,000 on my current set so no complaints from me. I'm letting the brake track wear more than I used to as it's fixed to the carbon fibre rather than an integral part of the wheel so my thoughts now are that I'll use them until the brake track wears to the point I can spot carbon fibre underneath rather than them just looking worn.

I need different wheels to you guys but I do agree that I prefer serviceable and greasable old school bearings etc.

Having said that, looks like I might go with some TWE wheels, TWE hubs, Campy rims and DT competition spokes. Price seems OK @ around $700 delivered.