Sign in to follow this  
buzz lightyear

New Wheels suggestions

I've been doing some research on upgrading my Trek Domane stock wheels. Leaning towards Shimano Dura Ace c24 also have read some great reviews on TWE wheels. My weight is currently 75kg there seems to be climbing wheels and aero more leaning towards lighter set of wheels.  Curious  what wheel upgrades others have gone for. 

I'm a sucker for bespoke and either 25mm or 28mm tyres

Craftworx in Brissie (northside) do excellent work
=>>> http://craftworx.com.au/craftworx-works ... pairs.html

had a pair of DT Swiss RR440 trued by Steve after another wheel builder couldn't get the rear correct and spoke broke after 1500kms on a bullet proof 32 spoke build

also have a pair of Archetypes that Steve built new for me on my older Campag hubs - bl**dy beautiful wheels and build, straight as, rides so quietly and likely outlast me

no association, but excellent workmanship and pricing and will give you the right advice and get you a superb set of wheels

my builds are all 32 spoke 3*, whereas you're a bit lighter than me so I guess 28 spoke may well be fine

1 hour ago, alittlewino said:

I'm a sucker for bespoke and either 25mm or 28mm tyres

Craftworx in Brissie (northside) do excellent work
=>>> http://craftworx.com.au/craftworx-works ... pairs.html

had a pair of DT Swiss RR440 trued by Steve after another wheel builder couldn't get the rear correct and spoke broke after 1500kms on a bullet proof 32 spoke build

also have a pair of Archetypes that Steve built new for me on my older Campag hubs - bl**dy beautiful wheels and build, straight as, rides so quietly and likely outlast me

no association, but excellent workmanship and pricing and will give you the right advice and get you a superb set of wheels

my builds are all 32 spoke 3*, whereas you're a bit lighter than me so I guess 28 spoke may well be fine

Will check them out thanks for the feedback. 

A lot of friends have raved about mavic cosmic carbone for a fast aero and strong wheel. I'm cheap and use campy zondas (shimano hub) and campy neutrons. I got the zondas from wiggle for less than $500. I've had 32spoke velocity aerohead with white industries hubs, and ultegra on mavic open pro rims, but prefer the factory built campy wheels. The campy wheels roll really well and have stayed truer longer.

Campy zondas get some great reviews, actually this morning was chatting with one the guys. He does triathlons on his every day bike has zondas. Loves them  he averages 600kms weekly. Seems the less weight more you pay in the end your probably saving 100 to 200 grams. which I'm sure once summer hits I will loose another kilo. 

Best wheel set I've ever had were Campagnolo Atlanta rims, sachs new success sealed bearing hubs and steel spokes. A be-itch to change tubes and tyres but true wheels.

I feel I can comment here as I have 2 sets of Greg's TWE wheels and a set of Dura-Ace C24. Both are very, very good wheels. Lightweight, strong enough to have no problems with my roughly 83 kg weight and high distance riding. I do more kms on the Lynskey with the Dura-Ace wheels as the one thing that swings me to them over the TWE is they are one of the few wheels still available with easily maintainable hubs as you can remove, clean, regrease and replace the bearings rather than having to push out and replace with new a sealed bearing. If you ride a lot when it rains (as I do) then this can be a real selling point.

If push came to shove I would choose the Shimano over the basic TWEs. Both are very good though.

It will make more difference to your riding if you stop eating chocolate for couple of weeks and drop a kilo or two, than 300g that you will save on the wheels. It is also much cheaper option as well. :sorry:;) 

2 hours ago, Hergest said:

I feel I can comment here as I have 2 sets of Greg's TWE wheels and a set of Dura-Ace C24. Both are very, very good wheels. Lightweight, strong enough to have no problems with my roughly 83 kg weight and high distance riding. I do more kms on the Lynskey with the Dura-Ace wheels as the one thing that swings me to them over the TWE is they are one of the few wheels still available with easily maintainable hubs as you can remove, clean, regrease and replace the bearings rather than having to push out and replace with new a sealed bearing. If you ride a lot when it rains (as I do) then this can be a real selling point.

If push came to shove I would choose the Shimano over the basic TWEs. Both are very good though.

Shimano dura ace 24 can get a set from cycling express for $935 would have to be high on my list. 

@buzz lightyear

to throw a shameless spanner in the works, have a set of 2014 Campag Zondas basically new - told they were literally ridden for 100m and they're still wrapped up

I won't use these as became absolutely sold on the pre 2006 large axle Campag hubs (with the loose bearings so easy servicing) and bespoke build

note Fulcrum make a hub to convert a Campag axle to Shimano cassettes - have done this on both of my bespoke wheel builds easy peasy and can point you to the right part if interested

pm me if interested as will be less $ -  absolutely fine of you're not as DA 24s get good wraps

I would not buy the c24's if you do a lot of descending or riding in bad weather where braking is required, say commuting. They have very thin side walls and if you ride a lot you may struggle to get 7000km's out of a set. My wife has a set which I also used before going disc brakes.

I'd suggest Hed Ardennes wheels (custom or off the peg) if wanting a nice light wheel that rides beautifully and gives amazing cornering grip. They were the best all rounder I've had, including Zipp 101's, Zipp 404 tubulars (racing only), Easton SL90's, etc etc. My disc bike now has Roval carbon clinchers but the HED Ardennes were still a nicer rolling wheel. If given the choice these days I'd want at least a 23mm width rim, they just roll so well and corner like on rails.

If interested I have a near new, custom built rear Ardennes (Silver Chris King hub) and the matching front hub if you wanted to get a rim laced onto it. There were built by Pro wheel builder USA with Sapim aero spokes. I wrote off the original front rim and spokes by driving into the garage. That's when i went to Disc brakes with the insurance money as the frame also cracked where the bike carrier held the downtube, only a minor knock too. I paid $1300ish when the dollar was better than today. Happy to get $500 for rear wheel and front hub including a 10spd Sram cassette. The hub will also take 11 spd if go that way at a later date.

like these but I suspect with much better spokes

http://www.probikekit.com.au/bicycle-wheels/chris-king-r45-with-hed-ardennes-wheelset/10782901.html

Edited by blybo
better link

I've got 12,000 kms out of my C24s so far riding in some really shitehouse weather and am a heavy brake user and wear through Shimano pads in no time at all so I'm surprised to read that comment about C24s as it doesn't reflect my experience.

5 hours ago, Decky said:

Only a looser would buy ALU wheels. What is wrong with you!? ;):sarc:

I'm too poor for carbon wheels. :P

Seriously though two pairs of zondas for less than the cost of one pair of shimanos.

Weight is not really an issue Pat, as stated earlier just loose a couple hundred ounces. You need to look at the hubs, rims and bearings. The Shimano have good robust long lasting hubs, but are not the best for rolling resistance.

Most known (brand) manufacturers produce good quality wheels that have both strength and weaknesses, but over all perform well for the average rider like us. I would suggest do your homework and buy a wheel set that fits into your criteria and price bracket. As you would be aware online stores are always having great specials on Shimano, Fulcrum, Compy , etc. Whatever you choose in your specific budget will do the job, and will have their strengths and weaknesses. Just take your time as the wheels don't make a hug difference, but the rider does.

Edited by handysteel

Now on a serious side...I fully agree with the last post. Good quality cartridge bearings would make probably most of the difference in ride feeling and durability of the wheels. An obvious down side of carbon wheels is higher drag with a strong side wind. Zondas are awesome wheels BTW. 

So much info gents just logged on for the first time this week been to busy. Been chatting with Craftworx they have some specials. Choosing right wheels is just as bad as looking at carts lol. 

Just got my latest set of wheels this week, this time for the gravel bike.

Novatec hubs from Cycling Deal carrying Giant PCX2 rims from my Anthem held together with Sapim DB spokes, 32 in each. Made by Josh at XLR8 Wheels in Lennox Head. All up it was about $350 this time. This is the fourth wheelset he's made for me...only one more to go!

For general rim brake road wheels I'd go with the best hubs you can afford (I like White Industries hubs) but otherwise the Novatec hubs are very decent and very cheap.

Cycling Deal in Melbourne has a tonne of left over OE Novatec road hubs at the moment for almost pocket money. Get them properly laced up to something like the Hplusson Archetype rim and you'll be hard pressed to go wrong.

Failing that, I've a little used set of 2013 Fulcrum Quattro CX wheels that you could get for $200 posted

Personally, I have no doubt that Craftworx makes nice wheels but they are expensive for what they are...

Ours is not to reason why. Merely to point and giggle.

Thanks for all the offers gents but I'm the kind. Get the right set wheels once and no need to upgrade in the future. Got a quote from craftworx $800 with the current hubs. Will be giving him a call this morning well after my ride :) on a miserable Melbourne morning. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Had a long chat with Mark from Craftworx nice chap. Decided on the H-Plus son archetype rims with the upgraded hubs.