Australian Hifi & AV Show Sydney 2017

Show pics

First taste today..Have 2 more days to fill in.Some live piano music by Fiona Joy and a good turntable talk with Mark Dohman.So far the Kyron system sounded sweet and the new Krix bookshelf speakers pack a punch.Found a new tweek called Spec 901 RSP which will require more reading.P1050247.thumb.JPG.355483cef18d77973a6b597b80174f04.JPGP1050249.thumb.JPG.7492fc43887adadc73c2a707615c7178.JPG

P1050250.thumb.JPG.8e43b52abe6395d96f124012677180b0.JPGP1050258.thumb.JPG.b4d31a22bf5573dbd24aabe4e7ac8f2c.JPGP1050261.thumb.JPG.719a0dc23f30201ff7c6e50e05c5909b.JPGP1050267.thumb.JPG.89f31e6b37b19282aed317c4c702b15d.JPG

P1050255.JPG

P1050277.thumb.JPG.d76481c585e24738a8626c268d3ee6f4.JPGP1050278.thumb.JPG.fa27f494254c71a514ef5c50d741886f.JPGP1050286.thumb.JPG.675077d84e037749c7967144cf7cc1b7.JPG

Edited by Stump
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Sydney people should definitely go. Well worth a visit. 

My favourite moment: A 12" 45RPM LP playing "Riders On The Storm" - The Doors. 

Everyone in the room (mostly old farts) were utterly beguiled. 

Just go. You won't be sorry.

Trev? we were all bong reminiscing that's why, didn't you look around the room at all the old farts  with glazed looks and cheesy grins on their faces.:hiccup:hiccup

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, AudioGeek said:

What speakets Rod?

Kantus, Kurres and Minis (all from our passive Xover Reference Range) - sounding very good with Redgum electronics (DAC, phono and integrated amps) that I haven't heard for a while.  Plus some great music that Lindy has stored on her laptop  - but we can also play CD/SCADs and vinyl) if you bring along your own!

Setup.jpg

• Like 4

I really enjoyed the day at the show. Quite small but I reckon that works in its favour as you can fit in virtually everything and if you want to spend more time in a room then there's tomorrow.

There really wasn't anything to dislike, volumes were mostly sensible and there were never too many people to feel crowded while at the same time there were enough people for it not to feel empty.

I wasn't a lover of the Orangutans (?) in the Maclean room, their bass was too thumpy on the couple of tracks I heard and the bass on the rather beautiful Yamaha NS-5000 in the Len Wallis display overpowered the room they were in on a couple of occasions.

The Dohmann turntable in the Telos room has an astonishingly low noise floor even when playing standard pressings of records.

The Legend Kantu 8s are superb and with their port bunged up worked so well in a smaller room which surprised me.

I really liked the scale of the Harbeth SLH 5+ and am keen to audition a pair in my large lounge room.

Pure Music/Sonic Purity had the Kii3 actives, if you were after an all in one speaker where all you needed was a source you wouldn't be disappointed. For their size they produced prodigious and good quality bass in a large room.

The blue Wilsons are soooooo ugly but sound sublime.

Audio Note's room was my last port of call, often I need the calm and naturalness of their room to sooth my ears after a barrage but this time I wasn't trying to run away from anything so I just sat back and loved everything I heard. There's just something so right about the Audio Note gear that I can never put my finger on. It's the only room when I'm listening that I never look at the equipment playing the music, I just drift away and find myself getting into the song playing. Have the chairs hard against the wall was unavoidable so now and then threw up a saxophone that was 5 metres wide but then again, the microphone recording it in 1962 might have been 5 metres wide.

I'm sure some other thoughts will pop into my head, all in all it was a show worth attending.

Oh yes, I was super impressed by the bass output of the small and unusual shaped Crystal Cable Arabesque speakers until I realised the large footstool in the middle of the floor was a subwoofer. Sounded good though.

Edited by Hergest
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great to see the show back in Sydney after so long. 

Favourite rooms were:

Audio Note Uk as always sounded very natural and relaxing. And proved you don't

need hundreds of watts to get great sound. The finish on the ANE speakers was amazing.

And the Wilson Alexx with the Nagras sounded great, and I love the look of

the blue Alexx's. Not so much the Alexia's. 

The room that had the Harbeth speakers was also very good.

Also it was nice to hear some live music which is what we strive for with our systems.

Overall the atmosphere was friendly,  great to catch up with old friends, and congratulations to all

the exhibitors and organisers who worked hard to bring the HiFi show back to Sydney. Hope to see

it held back here again soon.

• Like 2

Spent a decent chunk of time there yesterday. Definitely worth attending I think, as it gives you a chance to look at some high end systems that you probably may not get the opportunity to listen to.

It appeared to be well attended with most rooms being reasonably full whenever you walked in. Admittedly the rooms were fairly small. As far as I could tell, any booked demonstrations were booked out all day.

What stood out for me -

Wilson Audio's Room with a huge stack of gumylicious electronics. Enough eye candy for any sane person. They played the Alexia II speakers when I was there. The transparency and resolution on these is just on another level.

Another eye candy room - Dynaudio Evidence speakers with Simaudio electronics. These were dynamic, tight and fast.

The Audio note room probably had one of the sweetest sounds going on.

The Crystal Cable Arabesque speakers were another standout for their imaging and transparency of sound.

Having said that, 2 rooms made me go back a second time for another listen-

The Yamaha room had a very basic setup running their newish NS 5000 speakers with their CD player and Integrated Amp. To my ears these speakers are special. It's really all about the tone with these ones. They just sounded right all the time. The shimmer of a cymbal, the pluck of an acoustic guitar. They just sounded so natural.  The decay was smack on. Having said that they did sound like they still needed more running in though.

The other room where I went back to and spent quiet a bit of time listening was the Australian Kyron Audio room. They were mostly playing LP's. This is the only room where I felt the performers were playing live in front of me. It's also probably the only room where I forgot about listening and just. Listened. and Enjoyed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Guest Hensa

A very enjoyable afternoon spent at the show yesterday followed by an even more enjoyable session at Harts Pub with SNA mates!

Highlight for me was the Kyron room which was just awesome. Rage Against The Machine at high volume was a jaw-dropping listen and that was followed by a sublime Sam Brooke's LP. I went back to this room 3 times and regardless of whether I was front row or standing at the back of the room, the sound was superb.

Other notables for me included the Audio Note room which just delivered a smooth and inviting sound.

The Best "value" room for me was the Osborne room. Wonderful sound from the standmounts on the end of a Consonance integrated.

I thought a few of the rooms really struggled with untamed brightness but that can be a symptom of the smaller rooms and imperfect set up at Hifi shows.

801566a88a47b44fa8750030ec48a843.jpg

af77e9d4046a9899f516acaeccc63d94.jpg

d8b07f19b45a3d1f454c9012ebfbde4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk