SBS On Demand-currently watching

7 hours ago, zippi said:

Get on Up

USA, 2014
Genre: Drama, Music
Language: English
Director: Tate Taylor
Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Nelsan Ellis, Dan Aykroyd, Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer
What's it about?
A chronicle of James Brown's (Boseman) rise from extreme poverty to become one of the most influential musicians in history. It follows the man and his music in flashbacks from his impoverished early years in a shack in rural South Carolina, to living in a brothel run by Aunt Honey (Spencer) and singing in a local church, to his early career performing with the Famous Flames and later international stardom. Directed by Tate Taylor.

get-backdrop.jpg?itok=7YwCtjpK&mtime=1576716499

Awesome!!!!!

edit: actually not available OnDemand (recorded it at the time and watched subsequently, just thought it was the OnDemand)

yep, awesome movie.  Loved the scene when he asks each band member what their instrument should sound like - "Drums James"

• Like 1
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finishes on Thursday, last runs of ‘ ALL GOVERNMENTS LIE’ - a rather disturbing look at the dumbing down of journalism under the stultifying influence of Corporate America. Could not be more timely an

Public Enemy  * * * * Creepy stuff, finished series one enjoying series two! https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/public-enemy https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article/2016/12/06/belgian

I’d be more than happy to pay for SBS on demand And pay more than Netflix which is a second rate product in comparison 

We needed a change from the constant grim crime SBS series we’ve been bingeing on. Something lighter, Made In Italy, set in the fashion industry in Milan yet touches on social and political issues of the 70’s as well. Three episodes in and we’re hooked!

Made in Italy, directed by Luca Lucini and Ago Panini, tells the story through the eyes of Irene Mastrangelo (Greta Ferro), a young journalist who embarks upon a life-changing career at the prestigious fashion magazine Appeal under editor-in-chief Rita Pasini (Margherita Buy).

In the series, Mastrangelo is a firsthand witness to the shift of Italian fashion from haute couture to pret-a-porter as designers including Giorgio Armani (Raoul Bova), Walter Albini (Gaetano Bruno), Krizia’s Mariuccia Mandelli (Stefania Rocca), Gianni Versace (Achille Marciano), Miuccia Prada (Caterina Carpio), Rosita and Ottavio Missoni (Claudia Pandolfi, Enrico Loverso), Elio Fiorucci (Stefano Fregni), Gianfranco Ferre (Silvio Cavallo), and more attempt to build their empires.

Mastrangelo will even go to Rome in search of Valentino Garavani, combing through gorgeous Maison Valentino '70s dresses, as well as going into the vaults of Bulgari's Heritage Collection. 

The show zeroes in on the personalities, the inspirations and the imaginations of the creative giants, and, of course, the photographers, including Richard Avedon (Wayne Maser). As business grows, visionary manager Beppe Modenese (Bebo Storti) reconciles the quarrelsome Italian brands into an economic powerhouse that could rival France’s dominance over the industry. >

• Like 2
1 hour ago, scuzzii said:

yep, awesome movie.  Loved the scene when he asks each band member what their instrument should sound like - "Drums James"

Yes my favourite. Also the one when Boxing James the child is knocked down and sees the dixieland band playing on a nearby stage and you hear the single bar of their music repeated over and over again into a James Brown groove. Such powerful image.

• Like 2

Have watched the first 2 episodes of Zero Zero Zero, and it’s excellent thus far. 
Cardinal Season 4 is another series I am about to watch.

New season of The Bureau coming, if it’s half as good as the previous seasons it will be awesome 

• Like 1

60 Days In - American doco about life in a county prison. Volunteers have been placed in the prison to try and uncover corruption. It's heavily edited but it's kept my interest so far for 13 out of 16 episodes. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/06/2020 at 8:08 PM, Darren69 said:

New season of The Bureau coming, if it’s half as good as the previous seasons it will be awesome 

It's back!  And better than ever.  The Americans must be spitting chips when they see a series like this - a complex, interwoven plot that unfurls in a relaxed easy-to-follow way, great acting, sexy women, no over-the-top violence.  Contrast that with the usual cartoon American crap. 

Edited by Bronal
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Bronal said:

It's back!  And better than ever.  The Americans must be spitting chips when they see a series like this - a complex, interwoven plot that unfurls in a relaxed easy-to-follow way, great acting, sexy women, no over-the-top violence.  Contrast that with the usual cartoon American crap. 

Do you think a lot would have the patience to watch ?

2 hours ago, Bronal said:

Thank God we have the choice. Couldn't have said it better, I find it offensive to the arts when I think of their cookie cutter approach to even their best quality stuff.

• Thanks 1

next series to binge on?

Shadow Lines

< Promoted on the Croisette by director AJ Annila (The Eternal Road, Jade Warrior), co-writer Katri Manninen and co-stars Emmi Parviainen and Olavi Uusivirta, the Finnish premium show attracted a lot of interest from all types of buyers, according to global distributor About Premium Content. “Now that we’ve launched the show, we will share screeners with world buyers, but it looks extremely promising,” said Laurent Boissel, joint CEO of the boutique global distributor.  

“The spy thriller set in the 1950s successfully mixes genres; it’s both humorous and dark, original and edgy, and the production value is extremely high. It stands out on the market, which is essential in today’s saturated market. We expect to do as well with it as we did with the Norwegian show Valkyrien”, asserts Boissel.

Set in Helsinki in the 1950s, the thriller follows a secret intelligence team whose mission is to defend Finland’s independence, while the KGB and CIA are trying to meddle in the local presidential elections. Helena (Emmi Parviainen), a student freshly returned from the US, joins the secret Finnish task force. But hidden truths about her own past start to resurface, colliding with her job. > 

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/shadow-lines 

< In the summer of 1955, the Cold War is intensifying in Helsinki. Both the Soviet Union and the United States increase their intelligence activities, as they’re both afraid of Finland taking the other one’s side with the presidential election approaching. The CIA supports candidate Karl August Fagerholm, and the KGB supports candidate Urho Kekkonen, but who is on Finland’s side? Helena Korhonen, a young Finnish woman studying in New York, finds herself in a situation where she has to defend herself until her knuckles bleed. >

regards Ian
  • Thanks 1

Am bingeing the second series of Tin Star, not as gritty as the first one but still very watchable.

We will watch Zero Zero Zero next and then Baghdad Central I think.

On 21/06/2020 at 1:34 PM, Bronal said:

A fantastic series. I was on leave last week and binge watched all of season 5.

It’s just as good as previous seasons.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Loved the bureau. Smashed DNA pretty quickly. Was excellent. Now onto S2 of Before We Die. Then maybe S2 of Das Boot, then War of the Worlds methinks.

On 13/07/2020 at 1:49 PM, Tony ray said:

Das Boot S2, not enough submarine and blowing stuff up action.

Agree. And the NY subplot is pretty weak.... Still enjoyed it tremendously though. 

21 hours ago, MoveD said:

Agree. And the NY subplot is pretty weak.... Still enjoyed it tremendously though. 

Yeah it was still a good watch. On to War of the Worlds now which has been good.

• 2 weeks later...

Why Women Kill surprised me.  It’s really funny and engaging

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/why-women-kill

I hope this series lands on SBS.  It received publicity today  in The Guardian.  Made just before the pandemic it’s spot on.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/27/tv-drama-goes-viral-the-german-danish-series-that-foresaw-covid-19

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Given up on sbs on demand, it won't play vids for me, i tried disabling adblock and VPN even, but still no go.

Emailed them and told them all this and their idea of support was to suggest disabling adblock 😬 🤣

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 6:10 PM, static said:

Why Women Kill surprised me.  It’s really funny and engaging

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/why-women-kill

Yes, we've been watching it - it's excellent!  :thumb:

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 6:10 PM, static said:

I hope this series lands on SBS.  It received publicity today  in The Guardian.  Made just before the pandemic it’s spot on.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/27/tv-drama-goes-viral-the-german-danish-series-that-foresaw-covid-19

Not sure I'll try this.  :)

On ‎2‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 4:36 PM, Jeddie said:

Just starting watching 'Mirage'.

Watched a couple of episodes - but then it got boring.  :(

Andy

2 hours ago, Nevyn72 said:

Interesting re-imagining of 'War of the Worlds', very different premise to the books, to the point it's a stretch associating it with WotW.......

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/war-of-the-worlds

I enjoyed it as a stand alone show if that makes sense 

11 hours ago, muon* said:

Given up on sbs on demand, it won't play vids for me, i tried disabling adblock and VPN even, but still no go.

Emailed them and told them all this and their idea of support was to suggest disabling adblock 😬 🤣

Very strange, it’s always reliable for us and we have all sorts of bloody internet issues. Not to mention a shame as nothing else worth watching. Try a second hand Telstra TV thingy. 

Edited by Darren69

Has anyone else noticed the increase in the frequency of ads on SBS On Demand?

I recently timed ads occurring every four minutes when I was watching Blinded.  This is insulting to viewers, as it assumes they are mere gullible idiots who are influenced by gobs of commercial garbage thrust at them with monotonous regularity.  I assume SBS gets around the advertising code on frequency of ads because On Demand isn't strictly speaking a FTA service.

Of course, SBS isn't the only culprit - YouTube is in on the game as is FaceBook.  I wonder how long before Netflix joins in and we are then offered Netflix Premium without ads for another $5 a month.

Covid-19 must be a godsend for media advertising, given that we haven't many other options at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Bronal said:

I recently timed ads occurring every four minutes when I was watching Blinded.  This is insulting to viewers, as it assumes they are mere gullible idiots who are influenced by gobs of commercial garbage thrust at them with monotonous regularity.  I assume SBS gets around the advertising code on frequency of ads because On Demand isn't strictly speaking a FTA service.

Of course, SBS isn't the only culprit - YouTube is in on the game as is FaceBook.  I wonder how long before Netflix joins in and we are then offered Netflix Premium without ads for another $5 a month.

Covid-19 must be a godsend for media advertising, given that we haven't many other options at the moment.

I’d be more than happy to pay for SBS on demand

And pay more than Netflix which is a second rate product in comparison 

• Like 3

Hi All,

1 hour ago, Bronal said:

Boss Bottled and Ubank seem to be the regulars that pop up for me, we're now doing squats or pushups every time one of those ads come up 😉👍

We are watching Stan Lee's Lucky Man currently, and I am watching The Name Of The Rose, as I missed episodes when it was on FTA, whilst the boss goes to work, albeit in her study. 

JJ

• Like 1
On 06/09/2020 at 3:41 PM, keyse1 said:

I’d be more than happy to pay for SBS on demand

And pay more than Netflix which is a second rate product in comparison 

Yes, more ads for SBS On Demand. SBS free to air is sending me up the wall with ads! Often a bracket of nine in a row, endless SBS promos and cheap ads! Gambling ads? Make your voice heard https://www.endgamblingads.org.au/

• Like 3

I noticed a comment about SBS not streaming properly.  I had that problem recently with an iMac and Safari.  I tried Chrome and it worked fine.  Australia Post made us get Chrome for eParcel and I don’t specially like it, but it seems a lot of things work better on Chrome.  I can’t get iview subtitles on Safari but I can on Chrome.  

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone encountering the sound being out of sync with the image with SBS On Demand? Also happens with SBS live sometimes.

Restarting On Demand usually fixes it.

Witch Hunt is promising, two episodes in so far

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/witch-hunt

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article/2020/09/10/if-you-speak-against-power-power-hits-back-new-norwegian-drama-witch-hunt

<Norwegian writers Siv Rajendram and Anna Bache-Wiig's new drama Witch Hunt was inspired by the true stories of whistleblowers in Norway. Fighting for justice and taking huge risks, these people often become targeted themselves – the systems that are meant to protect them can let them down, leaving them alone and unsupported with tremendous stress and fear. 

In researching the show, Rajendram and Bache-Wiig interviewed whistleblowers and found there was a pattern in the ramifications for speaking out against a powerful entity.

"It's a pattern and it occurs again and again in different types of cases," Rajendram says. "We were really angered by the injustice in these cases and it's kind of frightening. When someone blows the whistle, more often than not it's against power and, seeing what happens to people who do that, you can really understand it's much easier just to go along [and say nothing]. That's part of the fascination and the origins of the idea. These people [whistleblowers] are special people, who speak up and don't remain silent. That's a very fascinating character." >

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ian McP said:

Anyone encountering the sound being out of sync with the image with SBS On Demand? Also happens with SBS live sometimes.

Restarting On Demand usually fixes it.

Witch Hunt is promising, two episodes in so far

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/witch-hunt

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article/2020/09/10/if-you-speak-against-power-power-hits-back-new-norwegian-drama-witch-hunt

<Norwegian writers Siv Rajendram and Anna Bache-Wiig's new drama Witch Hunt was inspired by the true stories of whistleblowers in Norway. Fighting for justice and taking huge risks, these people often become targeted themselves – the systems that are meant to protect them can let them down, leaving them alone and unsupported with tremendous stress and fear. 

In researching the show, Rajendram and Bache-Wiig interviewed whistleblowers and found there was a pattern in the ramifications for speaking out against a powerful entity.

"It's a pattern and it occurs again and again in different types of cases," Rajendram says. "We were really angered by the injustice in these cases and it's kind of frightening. When someone blows the whistle, more often than not it's against power and, seeing what happens to people who do that, you can really understand it's much easier just to go along [and say nothing]. That's part of the fascination and the origins of the idea. These people [whistleblowers] are special people, who speak up and don't remain silent. That's a very fascinating character." >

I thought the first couple of episodes were a little turgid, but it did improve as it went on.  (Spoiler - everyone loses!)

Hi All,

Have watched, The Head, set in an Antarctic Station during the 6 months of darkness, where the researchers begin to be murdered, and find that their radio equipment has been sabotaged, and the nearest base is several days drive by vehicle. 

The back plot is that all but 2 had worked at another base several years previously, where there was a death, and coverup. Most of the current people involved in the coverup are at the current Research facility, with some having resentment about the pressure put on them to not talk about the death.  Each has an amount of festering turmoil about working with the same group.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/the-head

A Scandinavian / British production.

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 2
On 28/09/2020 at 7:04 AM, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Have watched, The Head, set in an Antarctic Station during the 6 months of darkness, where the researchers begin to be murdered, and find that their radio equipment has been sabotaged, and the nearest base is several days drive by vehicle. 

The back plot is that all but 2 had worked at another base several years previously, where there was a death, and coverup. Most of the current people involved in the coverup are at the current Research facility, with some having resentment about the pressure put on them to not talk about the death.  Each has an amount of festering turmoil about working with the same group.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/the-head

A Scandinavian / British production.

JJ

Just finished watching Witch-hunt. Wasn’t too bad. The Head will be next