Darren69

SBS On Demand-currently watching

Guest Hensa
15 hours ago, bronal said:

Is anyone watching the new French series Transfers?

I started last night but couldn't get through the first episode.  I think the concept is sound but the production values aren't as good as other French series I've seen.  It reminds me a bit of Dr Who for some reason.

Should I continue?

Can't answer your question as I had the exact same result - gave up about 20 mins into the first episode... Not sure why but I just couldn't get into it.

Knightfall is a guilty pleasure even though or because it's so bad, still waiting for Michael Palin or John Clease to show up!

7 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

Knightfall is a guilty pleasure even though or because it's so bad, still waiting for Michael Palin or John Clease to show up!

this Tursday immediately after Knightfall is a doco on knight's armour

Secrets of the Shining Knights, 10:30 pm SBS Thurs 22 Feb

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/day/2018-02-22/location/NSW/sublocation/Sydney

< A knight in shining armor may sound like a character out of a storybook, but once upon a time, knighthood was serious business, and for countless medieval fighters, their armor was what stood between life and death.

But what was it really like to live beneath the metal? How was that shining armor crafted and how strong was it? Could it withstand impacts from the most lethal weapons of the day, including crossbows, muskets and primitive hand guns? NOVA challenged blacksmith Ric Furrer and master armorer Jeff Wasson to recreate parts of an elite armor originally manufactured in the Royal Workshop founded by King Henry VIII.

Secrets of the Shining Knight traces their successes and setbacks from start to finish as the experts rediscover centuries-old metalworking secrets and then put their new armor to the ultimate test against a period musket. >

Jeff Wasson's handiwork, impressive!

https://www.wassonartistry.com/

regards Ian

2 hours ago, Ian McP said:

this Tursday immediately after Knightfall is a doco on knight's armour

Secrets of the Shining Knights, 10:30 pm SBS Thurs 22 Feb

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/day/2018-02-22/location/NSW/sublocation/Sydney

< A knight in shining armor may sound like a character out of a storybook, but once upon a time, knighthood was serious business, and for countless medieval fighters, their armor was what stood between life and death.

But what was it really like to live beneath the metal? How was that shining armor crafted and how strong was it? Could it withstand impacts from the most lethal weapons of the day, including crossbows, muskets and primitive hand guns? NOVA challenged blacksmith Ric Furrer and master armorer Jeff Wasson to recreate parts of an elite armor originally manufactured in the Royal Workshop founded by King Henry VIII.

Secrets of the Shining Knight traces their successes and setbacks from start to finish as the experts rediscover centuries-old metalworking secrets and then put their new armor to the ultimate test against a period musket. >

Jeff Wasson's handiwork, impressive!

https://www.wassonartistry.com/

regards Ian

Whilst at High School we had some medieval geeks (people into medieval stuff, not geeks transported through a  time portal from medieval times) visit with all of their medieval stuff.

Swords weighed an absolute tonne and the chain mail they wore weighed three tonnes, no wonder they steered well clear of moats.

Then you put your armour on. Oh and then jump up on that horse and do try not to get your head chopped off today dear, see you this afternoon, steak and vegies tonight for dinner...

Oh huzzah, started watching series 4 of The Bridge tonight, excellent stuff.

Was going to post in the dedicated thread but don't know what's become of it, a search showed up nothing.

Will start The Bridge tomorrow.

Just finished Just One Look - a French mystery thriller with a very elaborate plot.  I'd tried watching it before a few weeks ago, but couldn't get into it, so I gave it another go this week and really enjoyed it once it got going. Anyone else seen it?

2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Oh huzzah, started watching series 4 of The Bridge tonight, excellent stuff.

Was going to post in the dedicated thread but don't know what's become of it, a search showed up nothing.

I thought it was very strange that SBS released the whole series on demand in advance.

11 hours ago, bronal said:

I thought it was very strange that SBS released the whole series on demand in advance.

We think its bloody good, it allows the binge watch. :D

Will add Just One Look to the list, thanks man.

3 hours ago, Darren69 said:

We think its bloody good, it allows the binge watch. :D

Will add Just One Look to the list, thanks man.

Give it some time to crank up, it doesn't make much sense at first.  On the plus side, the wife is very eyeable (well, you'd expect that in a French series wouldn't you?).

A bit OT but have you caught Fleabag on ABC?

13 minutes ago, bronal said:

Give it some time to crank up, it doesn't make much sense at first.  On the plus side, the wife is very eyeable (well, you'd expect that in a French series wouldn't you?).

A bit OT but have you caught Fleabag on ABC?

Oh la la!! I fell in love with the German special agent on Berlin Station.

No, have not checked out Fleabag, had a bit of a chortle at Mychonny the chinaboy show the other night but I think it would require a lot of beer to get through all of them. Hmm...

Just started on the fourth and apparently last series of The Bridge.  Scary start, but a riveting story.  So much European work to watch on SBS I can't keep up.

1 hour ago, static said:

Just started on the fourth and apparently last series of The Bridge.  Scary start, but a riveting story.  So much European work to watch on SBS I can't keep up.

Saga is a piece of work, isn't she?  I like the scene where she beats the jail toughie up... just like that.

I also like the way it's mainly filmed at night, or in gloomy conditions.  Adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Just finished series 4 of The Bridge, whoah! You're in for a terrific ride! Excellent! Pay close attention, many characters and threads to the story that ultimately tie together.

regards Ian

I'm not sure that I've seen Angelby mentioned so far.  The Swedes do it again!

Here is a review that more or less encapsulates my own thoughts:

It was a busy old night on Wednesday, with both that episode of The Missing and Dark Heart tempting me, so I had to catch up with the finale episode of Ängelby tonight. Yes, the final episode of this insane, ridiculous, bonkers crime story cum supernatural caper. We now know that a cosmic discharge is coming, all channeled by the stone on the woods; a discharge last encountered in Ancient Egypt. Now it’s coming to the small town of Ängelby in Sweden, where everyone is a bit loopy. See, I told you it was a bit crazy.

I’ve been watching this series for three months (THREE MONTHS!) and I still hadn’t quite figured things out. By the end of the finale, I was none the wiser.

The clock was ticking and the inhabitants of Ängelby were getting restless and going slightly mad with the anticipation. As we saw last week a faction, led by the grumps that are Åke and Rune (who, up until episode 11, were Ängelby’s version of Statler and Waldorf), had gathered the town people together, telling them that their time was now and that The Stone would grant them their wildest dreams. Unfortunately, Vera was going to stand in the way of all that, and with the promise of untold power and increased physical strength, Åke and Rune did their best to get her out of the way. Permanently.

But it wasn’t just Åke and Rune who wanted Vera out of the way – Britt-Louise wanted to keep her daughter from attending the ritual because she would surely die, and Elsie was in cahoots with the Chuckle Brothers.

But thanks to Amos, Vivenka and a returning Lisa (who gave Vera the thingamajig from Egypt), our heroine made it to the stone and, after a few mishaps, finally unlocked the power that made all the dead and dying residents of the town come back to life. Her kids, Rudi (who had been killed by Britt-Louise earlier in the episode), Torsten, who we saw hilariously and rather camply turning sausages on the grill, and even Jesper.

But a word about Vera. Since last week’s trial by Atlas she’s been walking around Ängelby all dressed in white. She’s dead, but not as we know it. In this episode she started to see the future just by touching people – Elsie had taken an overdose, Åke and Rune had murdered each other in a quarrel, Eva’s daughter had killed her mother after saving her, John had been shot – so it was obvious that she had begun to exist on another plane. As the final credits began to roll and we saw the previously deceased residents of Ängelby stroll around enjoying their new lives, Vera was tasked by Atlas to go off with Amos and do some planet-saving work.

I still don’t get what this work is. Are they angels? And if so, what are they going to be doing? Atlas seemed to help people into the next world, so maybe they’ll be doing that. Other things I didn’t get? I still didn’t understand why Ängelby was chosen for the next cosmic discharge. It just seemed a bit too ridiculous. And what happened to all the dead in the field?

So it was a bit a head-scratching series all round, but the one thing, or person, keeping me going was Mia Skäringer as Vera. She was brilliant and hugely natural and believable while everything around her was not.

So farewell Ängelby, you big, mad, weird thing.

Well, not quite -  apparently there will be a series 2.  How about Angelby meets Jordskott?  Ultimate Nordic supernatural mayhem!

While I'm at it, big plug for The Disappearance.  At last, a French series that seems French - everyone carrying on like pork chops while bodies mount up here there and everywhere.

Since I don't get any FTA TV here I just want to watch whatever is on at the time on SBS through the Net.   Can't figure it out though.  Don't they have a 'Stream TV' option somewhere ?

Spotted a writeup on this intriguing doco in the green guide or the Age and thought I’d give it a shot. So glad I did!

Mark, an ex model now part time extras actor and street style photographer lives in New York and is basically homeless, check out how he lives, a fascinating and thought provoking doco! Mark himself is a wonderful raconteur.

< HOMME LESS is about the underbelly of the American Dream, the hidden backyard of our society. Mark’s life stands as a metaphor for the struggle of the vanishing middle class in America. But it’s also a film about the relationship between New York City and one of its residents. New York is not simply a beautiful backdrop for this story. She’s the antagonist that dictates the direction M’s life is going in. The joy and pain, the love and hate, the success and denial New York is teasing him with, the hardship he is going through in order to stay in her grace and the inventiveness he comes up with to be with her are all unique. Mark walks the streets of Manhattan looking like a millionaire, wearing designer suits and expensive leather shoes. He seems to be well off, and works in the prestigious fashion and movie business. He is eloquent, charming and good looking, and obviously has a lot going for him. But while during the day he pursues a ‘normal’ life, late at night he goes to a place where the American Dream has turned into a nightmare. HOMME LESS captures a raw and unfiltered moment in time, our time. Like its title HOMME LESS has different layers and raises the question of how far are we from losing everything, even our homes, and with it a part of our dignity and humanity? How often do we have to pretend that everything is in fine order to keep up the facade of being a well-off member of society? And how far are we prepared to go to take the financial pressure off our shoulders to live a more carefree live, the live that we want to live? What went wrong in Mark’s life? How is he able to keep up his facade of success and fool everyone? What keeps him from going under? What motivates him to put up with this rather unthinkable situation? What were and are his hopes and desires in life? Mark stands lost and alone in the midst of eight million dreams, balanced between the glamorous surfaces of this vibrant and inspiring city and its far from glamorous hidden backyard. He is the Homme Less. >

regards Ian