Jump to content

Darren69

SBS On Demand-currently watching

Recommended Posts

Have been very much enjoying 'Before we die'. As usual the storyline starts to unravel a bit towards the end but a very good series, worth a look. Great acting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished Manhattan (two series) as I'm running out of Nordic Noir/French series to watch.  It's not bad (for an American series), with good attention to detail (where they got all those 1940s cars from I don't know) but I found a lot of the characterisation to be monodimensional and the story a bit thin in the end.  They were obviously preparing for a third series, but it was cancelled because of poor ratings.

 

What's with all the ads and infomercials on SBS On Demand?  I've timed them at every four minutes!  I seem to remember that when SBS was allowed to supplement its funding with ads it was supposed to show them between programs or about every 15 minutes.  Or doesn't this apply to on-demand services?

Edited by bronal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started 'Frozen Death' last night, French and dark and loving it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Guest Hensa

 

56 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Started 'Frozen Death' last night, French and dark and loving it.

 

Is that The Frozen Dead (which was excellent) or a different one? If the latter, I will search it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hensa said:

 

Is that The Frozen Dead (which was excellent) or a different one? If the latter, I will search it out!

Haha, sorry mate you're right. Nothing for you to watch. Too many Coopers Stouts around the fire yestie arvo.

 

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/the-frozen-dead

 

Thanks, hope all is good for you Brother H!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Hensa
9 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Haha, sorry mate you're right. Nothing for you to watch. Too many Coopers Stouts around the fire yestie arvo.

 

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/the-frozen-dead

 

Thanks, hope all is good for you Brother H!

Bugger, was hoping it was a new one! All good with me! Hope we’ll be catching up again for the Melbourne Show!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hensa said:

Bugger, was hoping it was a new one! All good with me! Hope we’ll be catching up again for the Melbourne Show!

Not for 2018 sorry mate, will have to live vicariously through your reports and piccies. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Watched Episode 1 of Counterpart last night. Looks like it could be a good show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, frankn said:

Watched Episode 1 of Counterpart last night. Looks like it could be a good show. 

Spooky, looked at that one first but chose Frozen Dead, we decided to check it out next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Spooky, looked at that one first but chose Frozen Dead, we decided to check it out next.

I've seen The Frozen Dead and, although it was enjoyable, I don't rate it as highly as other French series, such as Witnesses, The Disappearance and especially Spiral (my own favourite).  At least it's set somewhere other than Paris or northern France though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, bronal said:

I've seen The Frozen Dead and, although it was enjoyable, I don't rate it as highly as other French series, such as Witnesses, The Disappearance and especially Spiral (my own favourite).  At least it's set somewhere other than Paris or northern France though.

Yes I get what you are saying, haven't watched Spiral yet, liked The Disappearance, The Bureau is one of the best shows I have ever seen period and it doesn't grab me right from the get-go like that did.

 

Am watching so many of these shows that Nordic and French actors are more familiar to me than Aussie or Yank ones, haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

Yes I get what you are saying, haven't watched Spiral yet, liked The Disappearance, The Bureau is one of the best shows I have ever seen period and it doesn't grab me right from the get-go like that did.

 

Am watching so many of these shows that Nordic and French actors are more familiar to me than Aussie or Yank ones, haha.

Have you seen Beyond The Walls?  I am too frightened to watch it by myself.😨

Edited by bronal
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

Yes I get what you are saying, haven't watched Spiral yet, liked The Disappearance, The Bureau is one of the best shows I have ever seen period and it doesn't grab me right from the get-go like that did.

 

 

Agree re The Bureau. Outstanding, and probably the best series I have watched in the last 3 or 4 years.

I'm looking at buying the series on DVD , but haven't found it available as a box set so will need to buy each season separately. Wish it was on blu-ray though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit disappointed with sci fi The City and The City (ABC iView) looking forward to Counterpoint (SBS)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

A bit disappointed with sci fi The City and The City (ABC iView) looking forward to Counterpoint (SBS)

I really enjoyed Counterpart. A work colleague supplied me with Season 1, hoping that the series will at least get another season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, bronal said:

Have you seen Beyond The Walls?  I am too frightened to watch it by myself.😨

I have and I too am a fraidy cat like yourself. I think you will be OK, it does have disturbing suspense but it isn't to the scale where you will have a dark feeling afterwards, it is more a  dark suspense and then once the show finishes it is OK so you wont carry it afterwards like some shows can manage. However, YMMV, haha!!

 

I very much enjoyed it, for want of better descriptors. :D 

 

If you like dark, you'll be OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not  SBS but Scandinavian Film Festival

 

 
Heavy Trip looks a real hoot!
 
 
< 25-year-old musician, Turo, is stuck in his small North Finland town. The only source of enjoyment in his life is his band - ‘Impaled Rektum’ - a band that has spent 12 years rehearsing covers in a basement without actually writing a song or playing an actual gig. Meanwhile, Turo must compete with the smarmy local lounge singer for the affections of Miia, who works in the local flower shop, while dodging taunts and threats from other villagers, including Miia’s intimidating policeman father.

So when fate intervenes with a visit from the promoter of one of Norway’s biggest metal festivals who offers them a slot in the line-up, the guys decide that it’s now or never. They steal a van and flee to Norway in a road trip that will involve heavy metal, grave robbing, Viking heaven, and an armed conflict between Finland and Norway.

This story of small-town dreams was the first ever Finnish comedy to be selected for SXSW, and a screaming blast from beginning to end. >

Melbourne dates:
Tues 17 July 8:45 Palace Brighton Bay
Sun 22 July 6:45 Como
Mon 23 July 6:30 Westgarth
Fri 27 July 8:40 Westgarth
also screening Sydney, Canberra, Perth, Hobart, Adelaide and Brisbane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 4 episodes into Counterpart and it still looks promising, some wonderful actors including the lead J.K.Simmons (who would be my first choice if anybody was going to make a film about Henry Miller after he returned to America). The concept is interesting although no explanation has been given as to how the two worlds exists simultaneously. 

 

I suppose the fact that it is filmed in Berlin might be an appropriate metaphor.

 

My only apprehension is that it is an entity built for one season and they stretch it two or beyond and not many series can sustain that, although The Bureau did pretty well.

 

So far so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greyzone looks very promising!

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/greyzone

< This high-octane thriller follows the events leading up to a terror-attack in Scandinavia. Borgen's Birgitte Hjort Sørensen stars as Victoria, a brilliant drone engineer who is taken hostage by terrorists in her own home, while the Secret Services in Denmark and Sweden are fighting against the clock to prevent an attack. >

http://dramaquarterly.com/tag/greyzone/

 

also finally made it to free to air Taboo, SBS on Demand

Taboo – Season 1 Monday, 16 July.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/06/sbs-on-demand-taboo-greyzone-counterpart.html

< Set in 1814, Taboo follows James Keziah Delaney (Tom Hardy – The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road), a man who has been to the ends of the earth and comes back irrevocably changed. Believed to be long dead, he returns home to London from Africa to inherit what is left of his father’s shipping empire and rebuild a life for himself. But his father’s legacy is a poisoned chalice, and with enemies lurking in every dark corner, James must navigate increasingly complex territories to avoid his own death sentence. The series was created by Hardy alongside Steven Knight and Chips Hardy and executive produced by Tom Hardy and Ridley Scott. >

regards Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

Greyzone looks very promising!

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/greyzone

< This high-octane thriller follows the events leading up to a terror-attack in Scandinavia. Borgen's Birgitte Hjort Sørensen stars as Victoria, a brilliant drone engineer who is taken hostage by terrorists in her own home, while the Secret Services in Denmark and Sweden are fighting against the clock to prevent an attack. >

http://dramaquarterly.com/tag/greyzone/

 

also finally made it to free to air Taboo, SBS on Demand

Taboo – Season 1 Monday, 16 July.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/06/sbs-on-demand-taboo-greyzone-counterpart.html

< Set in 1814, Taboo follows James Keziah Delaney (Tom Hardy – The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road), a man who has been to the ends of the earth and comes back irrevocably changed. Believed to be long dead, he returns home to London from Africa to inherit what is left of his father’s shipping empire and rebuild a life for himself. But his father’s legacy is a poisoned chalice, and with enemies lurking in every dark corner, James must navigate increasingly complex territories to avoid his own death sentence. The series was created by Hardy alongside Steven Knight and Chips Hardy and executive produced by Tom Hardy and Ridley Scott. >

regards Ian

Both of those look fantastic, I am a massive Hardy fan.

 

I thought Greyzone was about my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Darren69 said:

Both of those look fantastic, I am a massive Hardy fan.

 

I thought Greyzone was about my head.

I binge watched almost all of Taboo on a flight home, have threee ep's to catch!

regards Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've held off watching Monster primarily because of some rather negative reviews it received.  However, given the dearth of Nordic Noir series at the moment, I though I'd give it a go.  I am now up to the last episode, which I will watch tonight.

 

It takes a while to get going, if that is the right phrase to use.  The pace is slow at the best of times, but there is no sense that the storyline is being stretched. The plot is quite confusing but the further you get into it, it develops a rather addictive quality (at least for me).  Set in the very far north of Norway (the bit where it meets Finland and Russia) the overall atmosphere is one of unremitting gloom and bleakness.  Most of the characters are ugly.   In other words, they are real.  There is no attempt to glamourise anything, like you would inevitably get in an American series.

 

The scenery is dramatic.  One thing that I find interesting is the apparent flimsiness of the (mainly wooden) buildings for an area that is way above the Arctic Circle. 

 

I thought that Jordskott was dark (and it still wins because of its loony plot) but I must say that Monster is currently the 'noirest' of them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...