SBS On Demand-currently watching

47 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Spooky, looked at that one first but chose Frozen Dead, we decided to check it out next.

I've seen The Frozen Dead and, although it was enjoyable, I don't rate it as highly as other French series, such as Witnesses, The Disappearance and especially Spiral (my own favourite).  At least it's set somewhere other than Paris or northern France though.

• Like 1
  • Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, more ads for SBS On Demand. SBS free to air is sending me up the wall with ads! Often a bracket of nine in a row, endless SBS promos and cheap ads! Gambling ads? Make your voice heard https://www

Hi All,   Started watching Years and Years, particularly that they have Trump elected for a second term and on the last few days of his Presidency decides to drop a nuclear bomb on the Chine

It's back!  And better than ever.  The Americans must be spitting chips when they see a series like this - a complex, interwoven plot that unfurls in a relaxed easy-to-follow way, great acting, sexy w

58 minutes ago, bronal said:

I've seen The Frozen Dead and, although it was enjoyable, I don't rate it as highly as other French series, such as Witnesses, The Disappearance and especially Spiral (my own favourite).  At least it's set somewhere other than Paris or northern France though.

Yes I get what you are saying, haven't watched Spiral yet, liked The Disappearance, The Bureau is one of the best shows I have ever seen period and it doesn't grab me right from the get-go like that did.

Am watching so many of these shows that Nordic and French actors are more familiar to me than Aussie or Yank ones, haha.

1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

Yes I get what you are saying, haven't watched Spiral yet, liked The Disappearance, The Bureau is one of the best shows I have ever seen period and it doesn't grab me right from the get-go like that did.

Am watching so many of these shows that Nordic and French actors are more familiar to me than Aussie or Yank ones, haha.

Have you seen Beyond The Walls?  I am too frightened to watch it by myself.😨

Edited by bronal
Typo
1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

Agree re The Bureau. Outstanding, and probably the best series I have watched in the last 3 or 4 years.

I'm looking at buying the series on DVD , but haven't found it available as a box set so will need to buy each season separately. Wish it was on blu-ray though.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

A bit disappointed with sci fi The City and The City (ABC iView) looking forward to Counterpoint (SBS)

I really enjoyed Counterpart. A work colleague supplied me with Season 1, hoping that the series will at least get another season.

3 hours ago, bronal said:

Have you seen Beyond The Walls?  I am too frightened to watch it by myself.😨

I have and I too am a fraidy cat like yourself. I think you will be OK, it does have disturbing suspense but it isn't to the scale where you will have a dark feeling afterwards, it is more a  dark suspense and then once the show finishes it is OK so you wont carry it afterwards like some shows can manage. However, YMMV, haha!!

I very much enjoyed it, for want of better descriptors. :D 

If you like dark, you'll be OK.

not  SBS but Scandinavian Film Festival

Heavy Trip looks a real hoot!

< 25-year-old musician, Turo, is stuck in his small North Finland town. The only source of enjoyment in his life is his band - ‘Impaled Rektum’ - a band that has spent 12 years rehearsing covers in a basement without actually writing a song or playing an actual gig. Meanwhile, Turo must compete with the smarmy local lounge singer for the affections of Miia, who works in the local flower shop, while dodging taunts and threats from other villagers, including Miia’s intimidating policeman father.

So when fate intervenes with a visit from the promoter of one of Norway’s biggest metal festivals who offers them a slot in the line-up, the guys decide that it’s now or never. They steal a van and flee to Norway in a road trip that will involve heavy metal, grave robbing, Viking heaven, and an armed conflict between Finland and Norway.

This story of small-town dreams was the first ever Finnish comedy to be selected for SXSW, and a screaming blast from beginning to end. >

Melbourne dates:
Tues 17 July 8:45 Palace Brighton Bay
Sun 22 July 6:45 Como
Mon 23 July 6:30 Westgarth
Fri 27 July 8:40 Westgarth
also screening Sydney, Canberra, Perth, Hobart, Adelaide and Brisbane
  • Like 2

I am 4 episodes into Counterpart and it still looks promising, some wonderful actors including the lead J.K.Simmons (who would be my first choice if anybody was going to make a film about Henry Miller after he returned to America). The concept is interesting although no explanation has been given as to how the two worlds exists simultaneously. 

I suppose the fact that it is filmed in Berlin might be an appropriate metaphor.

My only apprehension is that it is an entity built for one season and they stretch it two or beyond and not many series can sustain that, although The Bureau did pretty well.

So far so good.

• Like 1

Greyzone looks very promising!

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/greyzone

< This high-octane thriller follows the events leading up to a terror-attack in Scandinavia. Borgen's Birgitte Hjort Sørensen stars as Victoria, a brilliant drone engineer who is taken hostage by terrorists in her own home, while the Secret Services in Denmark and Sweden are fighting against the clock to prevent an attack. >

http://dramaquarterly.com/tag/greyzone/

also finally made it to free to air Taboo, SBS on Demand

Taboo – Season 1 Monday, 16 July.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/06/sbs-on-demand-taboo-greyzone-counterpart.html

< Set in 1814, Taboo follows James Keziah Delaney (Tom Hardy – The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road), a man who has been to the ends of the earth and comes back irrevocably changed. Believed to be long dead, he returns home to London from Africa to inherit what is left of his father’s shipping empire and rebuild a life for himself. But his father’s legacy is a poisoned chalice, and with enemies lurking in every dark corner, James must navigate increasingly complex territories to avoid his own death sentence. The series was created by Hardy alongside Steven Knight and Chips Hardy and executive produced by Tom Hardy and Ridley Scott. >

regards Ian

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

Greyzone looks very promising!

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/greyzone

< This high-octane thriller follows the events leading up to a terror-attack in Scandinavia. Borgen's Birgitte Hjort Sørensen stars as Victoria, a brilliant drone engineer who is taken hostage by terrorists in her own home, while the Secret Services in Denmark and Sweden are fighting against the clock to prevent an attack. >

http://dramaquarterly.com/tag/greyzone/

also finally made it to free to air Taboo, SBS on Demand

Taboo – Season 1 Monday, 16 July.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/06/sbs-on-demand-taboo-greyzone-counterpart.html

< Set in 1814, Taboo follows James Keziah Delaney (Tom Hardy – The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road), a man who has been to the ends of the earth and comes back irrevocably changed. Believed to be long dead, he returns home to London from Africa to inherit what is left of his father’s shipping empire and rebuild a life for himself. But his father’s legacy is a poisoned chalice, and with enemies lurking in every dark corner, James must navigate increasingly complex territories to avoid his own death sentence. The series was created by Hardy alongside Steven Knight and Chips Hardy and executive produced by Tom Hardy and Ridley Scott. >

regards Ian

Both of those look fantastic, I am a massive Hardy fan.

I thought Greyzone was about my head.

Just now, Darren69 said:

Both of those look fantastic, I am a massive Hardy fan.

I thought Greyzone was about my head.

I binge watched almost all of Taboo on a flight home, have threee ep's to catch!

regards Ian

• Like 1

I've held off watching Monster primarily because of some rather negative reviews it received.  However, given the dearth of Nordic Noir series at the moment, I though I'd give it a go.  I am now up to the last episode, which I will watch tonight.

It takes a while to get going, if that is the right phrase to use.  The pace is slow at the best of times, but there is no sense that the storyline is being stretched. The plot is quite confusing but the further you get into it, it develops a rather addictive quality (at least for me).  Set in the very far north of Norway (the bit where it meets Finland and Russia) the overall atmosphere is one of unremitting gloom and bleakness.  Most of the characters are ugly.   In other words, they are real.  There is no attempt to glamourise anything, like you would inevitably get in an American series.

The scenery is dramatic.  One thing that I find interesting is the apparent flimsiness of the (mainly wooden) buildings for an area that is way above the Arctic Circle. 

I thought that Jordskott was dark (and it still wins because of its loony plot) but I must say that Monster is currently the 'noirest' of them all.

1 hour ago, soundfan said:

I finished Greyzone yesterday.

Quite liked it too.

Four episodes in it's starting to deveop the characters, I like Jesper the cop, somewhat flawed yet all too human

regards Ian

• Like 1

On 18/06/2018 at 1:06 PM, allthumbs said:

I am 4 episodes into Counterpart and it still looks promising, some wonderful actors including the lead J.K.Simmons (who would be my first choice if anybody was going to make a film about Henry Miller after he returned to America). The concept is interesting although no explanation has been given as to how the two worlds exists simultaneously. 

I suppose the fact that it is filmed in Berlin might be an appropriate metaphor.

My only apprehension is that it is an entity built for one season and they stretch it two or beyond and not many series can sustain that, although The Bureau did pretty well.

So far so good.

Just discovered “counterpart”. 

Five episodes in and really enjoying it. Terrific acting all round but J.K. Simmons is a highlight 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Just discovered “counterpart”. 

Five episodes in and really enjoying it. Terrific acting all round but J.K. Simmons is a highlight 

Did the last four episodes in a row last night! Yes, a takes a few in before it starts to really gel, hang on it's wild ride from then on!

Greyzone was excellent too! Taboo with Tom Hardy coming soon to SBS on Demand.

1 hour ago, Ian McP said:

Did the last four episodes in a row last night! Yes, a takes a few in before it starts to really gel, hang on it's wild ride from then on!

Yeah I watched the whole series over two days when it first got put up.

They commissioned two series from the start, and filming started before the last episode was screened.

Having had my sleeping habit severely disrupted during the World Cup, I've started watching The Tunnel on ABC iView, so far 9/10 episodes of series 1 watched.

Not bad, a few unbelievable situations, but on the whole I've enjoyed it so far.

On ‎5‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, Ian McP said:

Taking a while to get into Greyzone, am finding it a tad clichéd but will see it out. The presence of Bridgette Hjort Sorenson and  Tova Magnusson also makes it easy to watch. :D  

4 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Taking a while to get into Greyzone, am finding it a tad clichéd but will see it out. The presence of Bridgette Hjort Sorenson and  Tova Magnusson also makes it easy to watch. :D  

I agree.  I gave up after four episodes.  Despite what anyone says, it is not 'Nordic Noir'.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Counterpart, Grayzone, Taboo and now a new series of Salamander....how can SBS get much better than this?

Edited by Graceman
Sp

Taboo is really fine, especially the visual quality, direction, the colour scheme is magnificent and Jonathan Pryce is simply wonderful. I would highly recommend the Taboo, such a engaging story, filled with wonderful actors, RIdley Scott co-producer. A great tale.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

Taboo is really fine, especially the visual quality, direction, the colour scheme is magnificent and Jonathan Pryce is simply wonderful. I would highly recommend the Taboo, such a engaging story, filled with wonderful actors, RIdley Scott co-producer. A great tale.

Agree 100%.

I watched the series on Foxtel and absolutely loved it. I was hoping the season would have been longer though.

SBS ON DEmand: Mafia Only Kills in Summer

Italophiles, really warming to this series, centres around a family living in Palermo, Sicily in the 70’s. 
Series cleverly integrates real events around this family. There’s a comedic tone around the family but the darkness of the massive corruption is all around.
Genuinely scary what went on back then. Further reading of the history of this era very disturbing.

< The voice-over narrator of the whole series is an adult Salvatore Giammarresi (Pif), a 10-year-old boy (Edoardo Buscetta) that tells the story of an ordinary family of Palermo, his one, in the late 1970s.

The ordinary events, viewed from the kid's point of view, are mixed with the historical facts, regarding the Sicilian Mafia (Cosa Nostra), which characterized the city in that period. Alternating reality and TV fiction, there are various storylines related to the Sack of Palermo, to the personal friendship of Salvatore with Boris Giuliano or Mario Francese (both killed by the Mafia in 1979), etc. 

Despite being set during 1979 and 1980, within the fiction there are some flashbacks in which the narration develops in different periods. >

originally a film

regards Ian
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, rantan said:

Agree 100%.

I watched the series on Foxtel and absolutely loved it. I was hoping the season would have been longer though.

Watched the first two last night and am also loving it, I do like the dark stuff.

It's a tad too dark for the partner I am afraid but I will keep watching for sure, Hardy at his usual very high standard.

Counterpart was enthralling. Had me wondering the whole time how they filmed the scenes with the same character. Excellent performances. Looking forward to Hardy.

• Like 2

Binged The Day. Good old bank robbery gone wrong. I thought this one is quite  refreshing and clever. Kept me interested all the way through. 👍

Edited by Y B
47 minutes ago, Y B said:

Binged The Day. Good old bank robbery gone wrong. I thought this one is quite  refreshing and clever. Kept me interested all the way through. 👍

Yeah, I liked it a lot too.

• 2 weeks later...

With my leg up I’m re-discovering SBS ON DEMAND. 

Currently watching Tour De Force - a light hearted French film about a man rediscovering himself by riding the TDF roads in front of the race. 

Some good, but stereotyped scripting of characters. A bit of fun, nice scenery, cycling and a good watch. It’s gone in a couple of days. 

• Like 1

Nox is tonight's viewing.

The Son is good but bloody and moral values are thin on the ground but it probably gives a decent representation of the lawlessness of the period. Good viewing.

• 1 month later...

I don't watch SBS FTA, just On-Demand, and it's my clear perception that the number and length of ad breaks is on the rise.  Has anyone else noticed this?

A good example is the Chefs' Line, where they sometimes manage to squeeze three ad breaks into the last five minutes.

Do different rules apply to on-demand services?

• Moderators

watched kid with a bike on sms on demand. what a great film, we much enjoyed ! 

love the "french connection" section  on demand. and such choice ! 

I wish there was a german connection as well ! or other language movies split that ways ... perhaps they will some time...