Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Darren69

SBS On Demand-currently watching

Recommended Posts

Just finished Hierro and found it disappointing as how the story panned out and it’s characters. Not that interesting to be honest.

 

6 episodes in Face To Face and that’s a lot more gripping and binge worthy! Only 22 minutes each episode though. 
 

Temple was excellent.

Edited by MoveD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We watched "The Counterfeiters" movie,

Excellent WW2 about Nazi C.Camp. 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 28/01/2020 at 3:58 PM, Heifetz said:

We watched "The Counterfeiters" movie,

Excellent WW2 about Nazi C.Camp. 

Bob

You can also catch main actor Karl Markovics in SBS's Inspector Rex and in Netflix's fabulous Babylon Berlin season two

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0548686/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

regards Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Anyone else having trouble with SBS On Demand? Freezing around 8 - 9pm. Gave up on The Crimson Rivers last night had to resort to The Valhalla Murders on Netflix.

 

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/the-crimson-rivers

https://www.netflix.com/au/title/81043833

Next cab off the rank, Agent Hamilton looks the goods, you may have seen that guy in the excellent Below the Surface

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/agent-hamilton

https://variety.com/2019/tv/global/mipcom-agent-hamilton-1203369248/

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/below-the-surface

 

regards Ian
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

Anyone else having trouble with SBS

Yesterday at around 12noon, just wouldn't load programs.

 

Tried again at 4pm no probs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Anyone watching Punk on SBS

@deanB

Probably like this

A few others but can’t remember there names

@BuzzFuzz

Edited by keyse1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 13/04/2020 at 1:58 PM, zippi said:

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1306772035692/unforgivable-blackness

 

A Ken Burns doco about Jack Johnson - the best heavyweight boxer in the world 1904 - 1915.

It sounds interesting but Ken Burns lost me after the Jazz Series, which hardly touched on a lot of the Jazz I like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, soundfan said:

It sounds interesting but Ken Burns lost me after the Jazz Series, which hardly touched on a lot of the Jazz I like.

This (Jack Johnson doco) is much better. Also Dust Bowl (Oklahoma) is some of Ken's best work. In my book one of the best doco makers of the late 20th century.

 

Edited by zippi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zero Zero Zero: SBS

 

It's good, grim but riveting!

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article/2020/05/14/zerozerozero-brings-intense-family-drama-world-narcos

< ZeroZeroZero was co-created by filmmaker Stefano Sollima, a director who has deservedly received a lot of attention for his dark Italian crime shows Gomorrah, Romanzo Criminale and the US movie Sicario: Day of the Soldado. His work has been compared in the past to that of Narcos director José Padilha (who also directed the tense Brazilian police film Elite Squad and its sequel). Both filmmakers have produced work with similarly murky examinations of the ties between the police and criminals, and they share a similar filming style, favouring visceral moments that highlight the intensity of violent criminal acts.

Sollima blends together all the expectations and tropes we’ve seen in other drug enforcement movies and TV shows before, and layers in a sense of guttural humanity to it. As a viewer you never have time to think too much about what you’re watching – Sollima wants you to feel it, to relate to the intensity and danger of every situation, and just react. >

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched most of series 1 of Cardinal last night on SBS OD.  Excellent.

 

thanks @cheekyboy for the recommendation.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 15/05/2020 at 1:49 PM, Ian McP said:

Zero Zero Zero: SBS

 

It's good, grim but riveting!

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article/2020/05/14/zerozerozero-brings-intense-family-drama-world-narcos

< ZeroZeroZero was co-created by filmmaker Stefano Sollima, a director who has deservedly received a lot of attention for his dark Italian crime shows Gomorrah, Romanzo Criminale and the US movie Sicario: Day of the Soldado. His work has been compared in the past to that of Narcos director José Padilha (who also directed the tense Brazilian police film Elite Squad and its sequel). Both filmmakers have produced work with similarly murky examinations of the ties between the police and criminals, and they share a similar filming style, favouring visceral moments that highlight the intensity of violent criminal acts.

Sollima blends together all the expectations and tropes we’ve seen in other drug enforcement movies and TV shows before, and layers in a sense of guttural humanity to it. As a viewer you never have time to think too much about what you’re watching – Sollima wants you to feel it, to relate to the intensity and danger of every situation, and just react. >

saw the trailer, will be on my list to watch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miles Ahead

M
USA, 2016
Genre: Drama
Language: English
Director: Don Cheadle
Starring: Don Cheadle, Ewan McGregor, Michael Stuhlbarg, Lakeith Stanfield
What's it about?
Inspired by events of his life, this is a wildly entertaining, impressionistic, no-holds barred portrait of one of 20th century music’s creative geniuses, Miles Davis, featuring a career defining performance by Oscar nominee Don Cheadle in the title role. Working from a script he co-wrote with Steven Baigelman, Cheadle also makes his directorial debut with this unconventional biographical drama.

 

miles-ahead-backdrop.jpg?itok=KKPjKrZc&mtime=1588728315
 
 
SUBLIME!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Get on Up

USA, 2014
Genre: Drama, Music
Language: English
Director: Tate Taylor
Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Nelsan Ellis, Dan Aykroyd, Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer
What's it about?
A chronicle of James Brown's (Boseman) rise from extreme poverty to become one of the most influential musicians in history. It follows the man and his music in flashbacks from his impoverished early years in a shack in rural South Carolina, to living in a brothel run by Aunt Honey (Spencer) and singing in a local church, to his early career performing with the Famous Flames and later international stardom. Directed by Tate Taylor.

 
get-backdrop.jpg?itok=7YwCtjpK&mtime=1576716499

 

Awesome!!!!!

 

 

edit: actually not available OnDemand (recorded it at the time and watched subsequently, just thought it was the OnDemand)

Edited by zippi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zippi said:

Miles Ahead

M
USA, 2016
Genre: Drama
Language: English
Director: Don Cheadle
Starring: Don Cheadle, Ewan McGregor, Michael Stuhlbarg, Lakeith Stanfield
What's it about?
Inspired by events of his life, this is a wildly entertaining, impressionistic, no-holds barred portrait of one of 20th century music’s creative geniuses, Miles Davis, featuring a career defining performance by Oscar nominee Don Cheadle in the title role. Working from a script he co-wrote with Steven Baigelman, Cheadle also makes his directorial debut with this unconventional biographical drama.

 

miles-ahead-backdrop.jpg?itok=KKPjKrZc&mtime=1588728315
 
 
SUBLIME!!!!!!

Also Dingo! Miles is fantastic, every second he's on screen!

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/369526339639/dingo

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zippi said:

Get on Up

USA, 2014
Genre: Drama, Music
Language: English
Director: Tate Taylor
Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Nelsan Ellis, Dan Aykroyd, Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer
What's it about?
A chronicle of James Brown's (Boseman) rise from extreme poverty to become one of the most influential musicians in history. It follows the man and his music in flashbacks from his impoverished early years in a shack in rural South Carolina, to living in a brothel run by Aunt Honey (Spencer) and singing in a local church, to his early career performing with the Famous Flames and later international stardom. Directed by Tate Taylor.

 
get-backdrop.jpg?itok=7YwCtjpK&mtime=1576716499

 

Awesome!!!!!

 

 

edit: actually not available OnDemand (recorded it at the time and watched subsequently, just thought it was the OnDemand)

yep, awesome movie.  Loved the scene when he asks each band member what their instrument should sound like - "Drums James"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We needed a change from the constant grim crime SBS series we’ve been bingeing on. Something lighter, Made In Italy, set in the fashion industry in Milan yet touches on social and political issues of the 70’s as well. Three episodes in and we’re hooked!
 
 
 
Made in Italy, directed by Luca Lucini and Ago Panini, tells the story through the eyes of Irene Mastrangelo (Greta Ferro), a young journalist who embarks upon a life-changing career at the prestigious fashion magazine Appeal under editor-in-chief Rita Pasini (Margherita Buy).

In the series, Mastrangelo is a firsthand witness to the shift of Italian fashion from haute couture to pret-a-porter as designers including Giorgio Armani (Raoul Bova), Walter Albini (Gaetano Bruno), Krizia’s Mariuccia Mandelli (Stefania Rocca), Gianni Versace (Achille Marciano), Miuccia Prada (Caterina Carpio), Rosita and Ottavio Missoni (Claudia Pandolfi, Enrico Loverso), Elio Fiorucci (Stefano Fregni), Gianfranco Ferre (Silvio Cavallo), and more attempt to build their empires.

Mastrangelo will even go to Rome in search of Valentino Garavani, combing through gorgeous Maison Valentino '70s dresses, as well as going into the vaults of Bulgari's Heritage Collection. 

The show zeroes in on the personalities, the inspirations and the imaginations of the creative giants, and, of course, the photographers, including Richard Avedon (Wayne Maser). As business grows, visionary manager Beppe Modenese (Bebo Storti) reconciles the quarrelsome Italian brands into an economic powerhouse that could rival France’s dominance over the industry. >
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scuzzii said:

yep, awesome movie.  Loved the scene when he asks each band member what their instrument should sound like - "Drums James"

Yes my favourite. Also the one when Boxing James the child is knocked down and sees the dixieland band playing on a nearby stage and you hear the single bar of their music repeated over and over again into a James Brown groove. Such powerful image.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have watched the first 2 episodes of Zero Zero Zero, and it’s excellent thus far. 
Cardinal Season 4 is another series I am about to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm into season 2 of Cardinal at the moment.  Very much enjoying it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...