SBS On Demand-currently watching

• 2 weeks later...

If you were thinking of watching Beowulf, my advice is don't bother  It's pathetic.  The story has nothing to do with the original Anglo-Saxon epic (not that that really matters) but the plot is wafer-thin, dialogue is comical, monsters look like they're leftovers from Clash of the Titans (original 1980s version), etc etc.  The overall effect is a low-rent LOTR meets GOT and Mad Max. No wonder it was cancelled after one season.

I just finished season 1 of "Why Women Kill" (thank you for the tip off on here) - just loved it.

I really loved the first era - I am a sucker for 50s/60s settings in any movies or TV shows.

Great series, hope they get series 2 underway when the world becomes more normal again.

Hi All,

Beforeigners, a slightly quirky Norwegian police series, where people from past periods in history, Stone Age, the Viking age, and the late 1800s, are being  transported into the present, where Oslo police find a murdered Beforeigner, and a present day police officer is partnered with a transported Viking, just out of the Police Academy, as a political move to look like they are trying to cross all of the 'recent arrivals' safety needs.

There is also a number of 'modern day people' living like the past arrivals, for a simpler life, free from technology.

Beforeigners.jpg.68ff6257a5a0f86e4b9e3e0c9b765adf.jpg

758097232_Beforeigners4.jpg.f4b3bc1041ff8a868c6bdf223c2a9f86.jpg

Beforeigners2.jpg.37de2318011da4d0482ff6a4b550ba1b.jpg

Beforeigners1.jpg.52147a2ad3c5206d06d932eb570ff160.jpg

• Like 3

On 09/03/2021 at 9:52 AM, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Beforeigners, a slightly quirky Norwegian police series, where people from past periods in history, Stone Age, the Viking age, and the late 1800s, are being  transported into the present, where Oslo police find a murdered Beforeigner, and a present day police officer is partnered with a transported Viking, just out of the Police Academy, as a political move to look like they are trying to cross all of the 'recent arrivals' safety needs.

There is also a number of 'modern day people' living like the past arrivals, for a simpler life, free from technology.

Started watching, very clever and very funny, recommended!

On 17/03/2021 at 2:04 PM, Ian McP said:

Started watching, very clever and very funny, recommended!

Yes, hilarious!! I think I am also falling in love with the main lady a bit too...blush...twists foot into dirt...

• Like 2

Hi All,

On 09/03/2021 at 9:52 AM, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Just wait until the final few minutes for "The Twist In The Tale" ???

• Like 1

On 19/03/2021 at 4:27 PM, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Just wait until the final few minutes for "The Twist In The Tale" ???

Bring on season two! Yes there will be a season two! Love the scene where the barman is polishing drinking horns!

Watched a little moofie called Coherence tonight ... a very low budget flick about a dinner party with some serious WTF moments ... for fans of Twilight Zone and Black Mirror ... I will be thinking about this one for  a few days.

--Geoff 

Edited by hired goon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Sleepers, well worth catching!

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/the-sleepers

< It's 1989, the Soviet Empire is crumbling and after 12 years of exile in London, violinist Marie and her husband Viktor return to Prague and find themselves caught in a deadly battle between rival espionage agencies. >

https://deadline.com/video/the-sleepers-hbo-europe-spy-drama/

https://madison.com/ct/entertainment/television/bingeworthy-hbos-the-sleepers-puts-a-czech-on-sleek-spy-thrillers/article_be578072-cfe4-52a9-bf74-b5ac18ea8e61.html

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

The Sleepers, well worth catching!

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/the-sleepers

< It's 1989, the Soviet Empire is crumbling and after 12 years of exile in London, violinist Marie and her husband Viktor return to Prague and find themselves caught in a deadly battle between rival espionage agencies. >

https://deadline.com/video/the-sleepers-hbo-europe-spy-drama/

https://madison.com/ct/entertainment/television/bingeworthy-hbos-the-sleepers-puts-a-czech-on-sleek-spy-thrillers/article_be578072-cfe4-52a9-bf74-b5ac18ea8e61.html

Big thumbs up from me, finished it yesterday.

• Like 2

Hi All,

Spring Tide, another Scandinavian Drama about a young girl, Olivia at 'Police College' and on the last day of semester all in her class are given a 'Cold Case' from about 25 years prior, to write up their ideas of how  / what changes in policing would change to help bring about a resolution.

The case was one her deceased father worked on , about a pregnant woman who was buried in the beach up to he chest and allowed to drown by the incoming tide, but he never came to closing the homicide before he died, and she had a box full of his old notes on the case. 

She becomes overly involved to find the answer, going to the island that it took place on, questioning previous suspects, contacting her father's partner for information. Unfortunately her father's partner has been discharged from the police force and lives on the streets. Several of the homeless people are beaten up by a gang of youths who post the beatings online and this gets Olivia to meet, Tom, her father's partner who has friends beaten by these youths.

A backstory of an intertwining big mining company's behaviour in Africa becomes known and muddies the waters.

Again as in Beforeigners there is a twist in the end.

1096354659_SpringTide.jpg.0263f58d094c120bd30c56efead608c0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stella Blómkvist, an Icelandic Lawyer gets involved with the political powers when there is a murder in the Ministry of Internal Affairs building. Someone is found standing over the body and Stella takes on the case.

Amusingly we get her 'self talk' on different people she meets.

1684895200_StellaBlmkvist.jpg.470792ddafdf57547228c883229d638b.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
 i remember a friend praised this series a while back. It’s coming to SBS On Demand in June

< Halt and Catch Fire

Dubbed by The Guardian as ‘the best show that nobody watched’ to be ‘filed next to Mad Men’, Halt and Catch Fire takes us to 1980s Texas at the dawn of the personal computing boom. Joe, Gordon and Cameron are a visionary, a computer engineer and a prodigy respectively whose innovations threaten the corporate behemoths of the time. Greed and ego won’t be the only challenges to their undertaking as they walk down risky but enticing new paths. Also featuring green type on black computer screens and a ripper soundtrack, add this to your watchlist.

All four seasons of Halt and Catch Fire will be streaming at SBS On Demand from Thursday 10 June. >

regards Ian
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2021 at 3:08 PM, Ian McP said:
 i remember a friend praised this series a while back. It’s coming to SBS On Demand in June

< Halt and Catch Fire

Dubbed by The Guardian as ‘the best show that nobody watched’ to be ‘filed next to Mad Men’, Halt and Catch Fire takes us to 1980s Texas at the dawn of the personal computing boom. Joe, Gordon and Cameron are a visionary, a computer engineer and a prodigy respectively whose innovations threaten the corporate behemoths of the time. Greed and ego won’t be the only challenges to their undertaking as they walk down risky but enticing new paths. Also featuring green type on black computer screens and a ripper soundtrack, add this to your watchlist.

All four seasons of Halt and Catch Fire will be streaming at SBS On Demand from Thursday 10 June. >

regards Ian

Watched the entire 4 seasons, addictive viewing, one of the best shows I have ever watched..  Brings back memories of the Apple IIe,  Dick Smith, Tandy Electronics, Commodore 64 and when I did electronics coding 6809…..   one of the best written speeches around the concluding finally I’ve ever seen.   A must watch that brings back memories of the computer age to current surfing on the WWW.   Brilliant!  

Edited by Addicted to music

15 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Watched the entire 4 seasons, addictive viewing, one of the best shows I have ever watched..  Brings back memories of the Apple IIe,  Dick Smith, Tandy Electronics, Commodore 64 and when I did electronics coding 6809…..   one of the best written speeches around the concluding finally I’ve ever seen.   A must watch that brings back memories of the computer age to current surfing on the WWW.   Brilliant!  

I've still got a copy of this.. LOL

6809.jpg.5e1622e19a854ac511ad679ae5c4cf9e.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 2:26 PM, bob_m_54 said:

I've still got a copy of this.. LOL

6809.jpg.5e1622e19a854ac511ad679ae5c4cf9e.jpg

I did 12mths of 6908 machine language coding…..   the next 12 mths was to designed a project utilising the 6809…..   After that, would have obtained a diploma of electronics….  However, funny how life throws twist and turns; unexpected 9mths in the oven, so dropped out and working after hours and on w/ends was the only way to make ends meet…. Literally doubled my wage only to be screwed by the tax man   All I could remember now since it’s been over 30yrs from the theory is doing subroutines with accumulator A and B with a number of registry…. Interesting topic with digital 1 and 2 remembering And and Or gates and equations to deigned a digital circuit to statisfy the equations.     Did Digital and analog transmission too b4 TPC/IP was ever implemented, hence the reason I don’t participate to any of the switching threads here….😂🤪.  Read it for laughs….

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great show

Completely cynicism free

And if you suffer from cynicism put it out on the verandah or as they say in Georgia the porch😄

Shock and horror a Southern politician not only says he’s a Christian but in a political sense acts like one

And loves music Jazz Gospel rock blues country and had a regular concerts featuring all of the above 

A colour blind politician 

6347FB64-3418-4619-AB61-FEB8EAF3C3AB.jpeg

57563243-DE6B-4A08-99CB-22B77C47634A.jpeg

0327091F-E14C-4154-96D5-76B90DA42177.jpeg

6A29EE7B-3369-4F67-940D-5D9C21582024.png

E37BFEBF-D072-48EE-9260-947B81A8C563.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...