SBS On Demand-currently watching

Have been watching Vienna Blood, early 1900 Vienna sleuth of a doctor and detective, ALA Sherlock Holmes, solving murders, with the doctor as the clever one.

The doctor is Jewish and there are hints of 'nationalism' prior to the World War I, and also 'purity of blood'.

193454505_ViennaBlood.jpg.3e1071b04c30b5119b8978a95ef1e9e8.jpg

• Like 4

On 05/01/2021 at 2:55 PM, Neurone said:

Have been watching Vienna Blood, early 1900 Vienna sleuth of a doctor and detective, ALA Sherlock Holmes, solving murders, with the doctor as the clever one.

The doctor is Jewish and there are hints of 'nationalism' prior to the World War I, and also 'purity of blood'.

193454505_ViennaBlood.jpg.3e1071b04c30b5119b8978a95ef1e9e8.jpg

Great show! Looks fabulous! Alas only six episodes, two per case. A second series has been commissioned!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/vienna-blood-gets-season-2-order-1301917

Hi All,

I have been watching "Follow The Money", the story of a Danish detective, following up a workplace accident on a windfarm, becomes involved with what appears to be regular breaches of OH&S, which leads to possible illegal activities of corporate crime, he is transferred to the Fraud Squad, which doesn't approach the problem as quickly as he usually works.

There is the odd murder/attempted murder, with an investigative journalist run down when she is getting too close to what is going on.

1412444338_FollowTheMoney.jpg.f7be421b5316046ffed31d7924dce3a0.jpg

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Rewatched one of the better releases from last year, "Why Women Kill". It is set in the same house and shows the story of three families who live in the house in the early 60s, early 80s and early 2010s and what leads up to the death of someone in the house.

The stories are broken into smaller segments and have the final episode of the series showing the final lead up to the 'killing' of the three deaths.

355700687_WhyWomenKill.jpeg.d7024590a440bc79194e6dc941491a67.jpeg

1520346883_WhyWomenKill2.jpg.00365cf760b5a2dfa2394ac4a9c0b8e4.jpg

2104254619_WhyWomenKill1.jpg.955ba43095377eb86ffff91eff0fefe6.jpg

1958760587_WhyWomenKill3.jpg.a9f8ed88be270ea2c92c589dc06f5113.jpg

• Love 2

On 16/01/2021 at 9:23 PM, Nevyn72 said:

I've seen the first 2 of this and I really like it.

On 16/01/2021 at 4:13 PM, Neurone said:

Rewatched one of the better releases from last year, "Why Women Kill". It is set in the same house and shows the story of three families who live in the house in the early 60s, early 80s and early 2010s and what leads up to the death of someone in the house.

The stories are broken into smaller segments and have the final episode of the series showing the final lead up to the 'killing' of the three deaths.

Yeah, loved it!  :thumb:

Andy

On 16/01/2021 at 9:53 PM, Nevyn72 said:

This series shot in a very deep Finnish mine!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyhäsalmi_Mine

< Pyhäsalmi Mine, the deepest base metal mine in Europe[1] (having depth of 1,444 metres or 4,738 feet[2]:5) is located at the Pyhäjärvi municipality in the south of Northern Ostrobothnia province, Finland. The zinc and copper mine is owned by First Quantum Minerals, a Canadian mining corporation.[3]

The mine was due to be shut down in 2019, but due to an increase in demand for pyrite from Yara in Siilinjärvi, mining was extended to continue approximately 14 more months. Pyrite is a by product of copper and zinc mining. As of now, mining is going to be continued until spring 2021. Above-ground refinery will continue until 2025.[4]

Callio is a project to oversee the reuse of the Pyhäsalmi Mine once mining activities are halted permanently. The aim is to make the mine into a hospitable operating environment for businesses and an underground research facility. It is a joint project by the town of Pyhäjärvi and the University of Oulu. >

The Finns are actually building an underground nuclear storage facility. How do you tell people don't go there for eternity?

Into Eternity is a rather philosophical documentary on it. Intriguing? Scary!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_Eternity_(film)

< Into Eternity is a feature documentary film directed by Danish director Michael Madsen,[1] released in 2010.[2] It follows the construction of the Onkalo waste repository at the Olkiluoto Nuclear Power Plant on the island of Olkiluoto, Finland. Director Michael Madsen questions Onkalo's intended eternal existence, addressing an audience in the remote future.

Into Eternity raises the question of the authorities' responsibility of ensuring compliance with relatively new safety criteria legislation and the principles at the core of nuclear waste management. >

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/nov/11/into-eternity-film-review

• Like 1

We Got This, fun series from Sweden!

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/we-got-this

< Struggling from the collapse of his career and a sudden unsurmountable tax debt, American immigrant George English stumbles onto the fact that there is a 50 million SEK reward for solving the murder of Olof Palme. He assembles a crew of misfits to assist him as he begins to imagine that solving this seemingly unsolvable crime of the century could be the answer to all of his problems, but as the deeper they go into the labyrinth the more dangerous their journey becomes. >

https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2021/01/08/swedish-crime-comedy-we-got-this-arrives-at-sbs-on-demand/

• Like 1

The White Wall available as of today

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/white-wall

< A strange white wall is found deep underground, at the mining site of the world’s largest nuclear waste depository. Project director Lars Rapp wants to keep it a secret, but rumours spread quickly in the small town that has sprung up around the site. Lars and his team soon realise that the wall is not made of any material known to man and he is faced with making a decision that may well be the most important in the history of mankind. >

• Like 1

On 21/01/2021 at 2:42 PM, Ian McP said:

The White Wall available as of today

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/white-wall

< A strange white wall is found deep underground, at the mining site of the world’s largest nuclear waste depository. Project director Lars Rapp wants to keep it a secret, but rumours spread quickly in the small town that has sprung up around the site. Lars and his team soon realise that the wall is not made of any material known to man and he is faced with making a decision that may well be the most important in the history of mankind. >

Bloody loving this one, a must-see!

22 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Bloody loving this one, a must-see!

'Fraid I'll have to disagree on this one.  I found White Wall to be quite disappointing, almost as if the writers hit on a good concept and then didn’t know what to do with it.  The daughter character is a bit of a red herring.  She doesn’t add anything to the plot.  Perhaps the only reason for her inclusion is to show how self-obsessed Lars has become. Did anyone else notice the parallel between the young boy in White Wall building a model of the capsule and the character in Close Encounters building a model of the mountain where the aliens would arrive? It beggars belief that the capsule could be kept a secret for so long.  I think there will be a sequel, as there are too many threads left untied. My favourite characters – the grim unsmiling security chief and the drill operator who turns to religion. 2.5/5 for this one.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bronal said:

'Did anyone else notice the parallel between the young boy in White Wall building a model of the capsule and the character in Close Encounters building a model of the mountain where the aliens would arrive? 

I didn’t but now I will. Except Lego and not mashed potatoes.

Hi All,

Watching another Scandi cop series, For Life, set in 2 periods about 15 years apart, a Policewoman is in gaol and and there are pieces of her being there, with flashbacks to what lead  up to her being charged for the murder of her apparently corrupt boss.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/for-life

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1839029315667/for-life-s1-ep1-life-is-understood-backwards

• Like 2

Really enjoyed Hernan but it didn’t really need to jump back and forth in the timeline as much as it did. IMO. Tried to watch the second series of Medici but we thought it was crap

Edited by Darren69

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/01/2021 at 12:52 PM, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

I have been watching "Follow The Money", the story of a Danish detective, following up a workplace accident on a windfarm, becomes involved with what appears to be regular breaches of OH&S, which leads to possible illegal activities of corporate crime, he is transferred to the Fraud Squad, which doesn't approach the problem as quickly as he usually works.

There is the odd murder/attempted murder, with an investigative journalist run down when she is getting too close to what is going on.

1412444338_FollowTheMoney.jpg.f7be421b5316046ffed31d7924dce3a0.jpg

JJ

Amazing show. Is Season 3 available anywhere? I’ll check SBS ondemand.

I watched another show called DNA. That’s really good as well.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/dna

Edited by deviltoob
  • Like 1

On 16/01/2021 at 4:13 PM, Neurone said:

Wife an I loved it..      The vivid colours really, really jumped out of the new LG Oled.  It looked magnificent.

Regards Cazzesman

On 16/01/2021 at 3:13 PM, Neurone said:

Ohhhhh this looks good !!! I am going to start this tomorrow night !!

I know this is a SBS streaming thread, but I couldn't find any ABC iView thread, even after using search [I'm crap at doing forums searches ? ]

Anyway, I've been watching the second series of STAGED, on the ABC's iView, and it's a brilliant continuation of series one....albeit slightly darker over several episodes mid way.

The amount of well known movies stars you'll see in STAGED is brilliant, Dame Judy is brilliant in series Two, and I won't spoil who appears in the second last episode of series Two....that episode is GOLD.....anyway, I can't recommend this series high enough

I binged on series One in a few hours, each episode is only 20 min long, and series One only has around 6 episodes.....Strongly recommend you view series one first, as there a things that happened in series One that creates the comic content in series Two.

Short, sharp and witty dialogue right throughout each episode, and brilliantly played by the leads, Michael Sheen and David Tennant [Make sure to watch the credits after each episode, they change as the story progresses ...funny ]

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/staged

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1