SBS On Demand-currently watching

On 13/10/2020 at 5:49 PM, Ray H said:

Has anybody watched “Spooks” ?

I’m assuming it must have something going for it given there are 10 series.

The thing that annoys me about our household is the missus won’t do subtitles as she is half on her phone....basically rules out any brilliant Scandi Noir....

I was a fan of this show but didn’t pick it up until the later series. It finished up several years back.

I’m currently enjoying watching the series again from the beginning.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finishes on Thursday, last runs of ‘ ALL GOVERNMENTS LIE’ - a rather disturbing look at the dumbing down of journalism under the stultifying influence of Corporate America. Could not be more timely and a sobering reminder to protect what remains of investigative journalism in this country.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Anatoly Beaver-Hausen said:

Finishes on Thursday, last runs of ‘ ALL GOVERNMENTS LIE’ - a rather disturbing look at the dumbing down of journalism under the stultifying influence of Corporate America. Could not be more timely and a sobering reminder to protect what remains of investigative journalism in this country.

Off topic but there's a petition started by a former PM out there you can sign on this topic, closes on the 4th of November......

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NoCoder said:

Has anyone watched the reality show "Alone"? I've seen series 1 & 2 and really enjoyed them. Not a usual reality show, as they need skills to be a contestant in it.

I binged every season on Foxtel when it was included with my NBN but it becomes very predictable after a while. Still a massive step up from drama based 'survivor' et al.  I think the couples/pairs season was the one I enjoyed most.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SkipEsquire said:

I binged every season on Foxtel when it was included with my NBN but it becomes very predictable after a while. Still a massive step up from drama based 'survivor' et al.  I think the couples/pairs season was the one I enjoyed most.

I stopped after Season 2, as it changes location mfrom Vancouver Island and wanted to have a break to lesson the comparison I would make it my head. 

I like that it is actually a challenge and need grit and skills there's not the usually personality issues with contestants plotting and fighting.

On 27/10/2020 at 8:45 PM, Darren69 said:

Raven is a must see. A very tragic sad story and a masterpiece.

We have just finished this series and would have to agree with the quote above.  This is a must see series and the cinematography is breathtaking. 

• Like 2

On 13/10/2020 at 5:49 PM, Ray H said:

Has anybody watched “Spooks” ?

I’m assuming it must have something going for it given there are 10 series....

I watched it from the first series, and I recommend beginning at the start.  Excellent series.  Nice trajectory of characters, with the turnover you expect in that type of workplace but the character changes from each series never upset continuity or quality.  The writing and performances never disappointed.  When the series ended they continued with a feature film. 

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching the fourth season of Fargo, which I felt was disjointed story wise by the time it got to episode 5  [ I suspect a break in production because of Covid might be the reason ], but has come along quite well after just watching episode 10.

Chris Rock is a surprisingly good actor in his role.

Can't wait to see how it ends next week.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving Season 4 of Gomorrah; it happens to feature Salvatore Esposito  who also had a strong role in Fargo Season 4 which I finished watching the other day.

Also juggling Season 8 of the fine French series Spiral.

There's so much great viewing on SBS On Demand.

• Like 2

On 08/12/2020 at 9:30 PM, soundfan said:

I'm loving Season 4 of Gomorrah; it happens to feature Salvatore Esposito  who also had a strong role in Fargo Season 4 which I finished watching the other day.

Also juggling Season 8 of the fine French series Spiral.

There's so much great viewing on SBS On Demand.

Gomorrah is one of the more addictive shows I have seen in the last couple of years.. SBS has got to the point where it is better than Amazon prime or Disney and at no cost, simply brilliant.

im looking to watch fortitude next I think.

• Like 2

On 27/11/2020 at 1:53 PM, Tweaky said:

I've been watching the fourth season of Fargo, which I felt was disjointed story wise by the time it got to episode 5  [ I suspect a break in production because of Covid might be the reason ], but has come along quite well after just watching episode 10.

Chris Rock is a surprisingly good actor in his role.

Can't wait to see how it ends next week.

Yeah a bit disjointed but the quality of cast, production etc... more than makes up for a tad weak plot points.

Chris Rock really owned it and there were really no weaknesses in the cast or acting. They may have bitten off more than could possibly be chewed in the 10-11 episode Fargo format and the COVID disruption certainly had an impact.

So far though no seasons can compare to Season 3 - largely due to David Thewlis wizardry and really clockwork plot. Still the 'Wizard of Oz' themed East/West episode 9 of Season 4 is among my fave (if not the fave) Fargo episode ever.

On 08/12/2020 at 6:18 PM, Darren69 said:

The 12th Man. A must see Norwegian war thriller

Swiss Army Man- one of the most random and richly entertaining movies I’ve ever seen 

Swiss Army Man, was gold. ?

Very random, very funny.

• Like 1
  • Love 1