SBS On Demand-currently watching

60 Days In - American doco about life in a county prison. Volunteers have been placed in the prison to try and uncover corruption. It's heavily edited but it's kept my interest so far for 13 out of 16 episodes. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/06/2020 at 8:08 PM, Darren69 said:

New season of The Bureau coming, if it’s half as good as the previous seasons it will be awesome 

It's back!  And better than ever.  The Americans must be spitting chips when they see a series like this - a complex, interwoven plot that unfurls in a relaxed easy-to-follow way, great acting, sexy women, no over-the-top violence.  Contrast that with the usual cartoon American crap. 

Edited by Bronal
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Bronal said:

It's back!  And better than ever.  The Americans must be spitting chips when they see a series like this - a complex, interwoven plot that unfurls in a relaxed easy-to-follow way, great acting, sexy women, no over-the-top violence.  Contrast that with the usual cartoon American crap. 

Do you think a lot would have the patience to watch ?

2 hours ago, Bronal said:

Thank God we have the choice. Couldn't have said it better, I find it offensive to the arts when I think of their cookie cutter approach to even their best quality stuff.

• Thanks 1

next series to binge on?

Shadow Lines

< Promoted on the Croisette by director AJ Annila (The Eternal Road, Jade Warrior), co-writer Katri Manninen and co-stars Emmi Parviainen and Olavi Uusivirta, the Finnish premium show attracted a lot of interest from all types of buyers, according to global distributor About Premium Content. “Now that we’ve launched the show, we will share screeners with world buyers, but it looks extremely promising,” said Laurent Boissel, joint CEO of the boutique global distributor.  

“The spy thriller set in the 1950s successfully mixes genres; it’s both humorous and dark, original and edgy, and the production value is extremely high. It stands out on the market, which is essential in today’s saturated market. We expect to do as well with it as we did with the Norwegian show Valkyrien”, asserts Boissel.

Set in Helsinki in the 1950s, the thriller follows a secret intelligence team whose mission is to defend Finland’s independence, while the KGB and CIA are trying to meddle in the local presidential elections. Helena (Emmi Parviainen), a student freshly returned from the US, joins the secret Finnish task force. But hidden truths about her own past start to resurface, colliding with her job. > 

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/shadow-lines 

< In the summer of 1955, the Cold War is intensifying in Helsinki. Both the Soviet Union and the United States increase their intelligence activities, as they’re both afraid of Finland taking the other one’s side with the presidential election approaching. The CIA supports candidate Karl August Fagerholm, and the KGB supports candidate Urho Kekkonen, but who is on Finland’s side? Helena Korhonen, a young Finnish woman studying in New York, finds herself in a situation where she has to defend herself until her knuckles bleed. >

regards Ian
  • Thanks 1

On 21/06/2020 at 1:34 PM, Bronal said:

A fantastic series. I was on leave last week and binge watched all of season 5.

It’s just as good as previous seasons.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/07/2020 at 1:49 PM, Tony ray said:

Das Boot S2, not enough submarine and blowing stuff up action.

Agree. And the NY subplot is pretty weak.... Still enjoyed it tremendously though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why Women Kill surprised me.  It’s really funny and engaging

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/why-women-kill

I hope this series lands on SBS.  It received publicity today  in The Guardian.  Made just before the pandemic it’s spot on.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/27/tv-drama-goes-viral-the-german-danish-series-that-foresaw-covid-19

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Given up on sbs on demand, it won't play vids for me, i tried disabling adblock and VPN even, but still no go.

Emailed them and told them all this and their idea of support was to suggest disabling adblock ? ?

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 6:10 PM, static said:

Why Women Kill surprised me.  It’s really funny and engaging

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/why-women-kill

Yes, we've been watching it - it's excellent!  :thumb:

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 6:10 PM, static said:

I hope this series lands on SBS.  It received publicity today  in The Guardian.  Made just before the pandemic it’s spot on.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/27/tv-drama-goes-viral-the-german-danish-series-that-foresaw-covid-19

Not sure I'll try this.  :)

On ‎2‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 4:36 PM, Jeddie said:

Just starting watching 'Mirage'.

Watched a couple of episodes - but then it got boring.  :(

Andy

11 hours ago, muon* said:

Given up on sbs on demand, it won't play vids for me, i tried disabling adblock and VPN even, but still no go.

Emailed them and told them all this and their idea of support was to suggest disabling adblock ? ?

Very strange, it’s always reliable for us and we have all sorts of bloody internet issues. Not to mention a shame as nothing else worth watching. Try a second hand Telstra TV thingy. 

Edited by Darren69

Has anyone else noticed the increase in the frequency of ads on SBS On Demand?

I recently timed ads occurring every four minutes when I was watching Blinded.  This is insulting to viewers, as it assumes they are mere gullible idiots who are influenced by gobs of commercial garbage thrust at them with monotonous regularity.  I assume SBS gets around the advertising code on frequency of ads because On Demand isn't strictly speaking a FTA service.

Of course, SBS isn't the only culprit - YouTube is in on the game as is FaceBook.  I wonder how long before Netflix joins in and we are then offered Netflix Premium without ads for another $5 a month.

Covid-19 must be a godsend for media advertising, given that we haven't many other options at the moment.