SBS On Demand-currently watching

1 hour ago, soundfan said:

I finished Greyzone yesterday.

Quite liked it too.

Four episodes in it's starting to deveop the characters, I like Jesper the cop, somewhat flawed yet all too human

regards Ian

• Like 1

• Volunteer
On 18/06/2018 at 1:06 PM, allthumbs said:

I am 4 episodes into Counterpart and it still looks promising, some wonderful actors including the lead J.K.Simmons (who would be my first choice if anybody was going to make a film about Henry Miller after he returned to America). The concept is interesting although no explanation has been given as to how the two worlds exists simultaneously. 

I suppose the fact that it is filmed in Berlin might be an appropriate metaphor.

My only apprehension is that it is an entity built for one season and they stretch it two or beyond and not many series can sustain that, although The Bureau did pretty well.

So far so good.

Just discovered “counterpart”. 

Five episodes in and really enjoying it. Terrific acting all round but J.K. Simmons is a highlight 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Just discovered “counterpart”. 

Five episodes in and really enjoying it. Terrific acting all round but J.K. Simmons is a highlight 

Did the last four episodes in a row last night! Yes, a takes a few in before it starts to really gel, hang on it's wild ride from then on!

Greyzone was excellent too! Taboo with Tom Hardy coming soon to SBS on Demand.

1 hour ago, Ian McP said:

Did the last four episodes in a row last night! Yes, a takes a few in before it starts to really gel, hang on it's wild ride from then on!

Yeah I watched the whole series over two days when it first got put up.

They commissioned two series from the start, and filming started before the last episode was screened.

Having had my sleeping habit severely disrupted during the World Cup, I've started watching The Tunnel on ABC iView, so far 9/10 episodes of series 1 watched.

Not bad, a few unbelievable situations, but on the whole I've enjoyed it so far.

On ‎5‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, Ian McP said:

Taking a while to get into Greyzone, am finding it a tad clichéd but will see it out. The presence of Bridgette Hjort Sorenson and  Tova Magnusson also makes it easy to watch. :D  

4 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Taking a while to get into Greyzone, am finding it a tad clichéd but will see it out. The presence of Bridgette Hjort Sorenson and  Tova Magnusson also makes it easy to watch. :D  

I agree.  I gave up after four episodes.  Despite what anyone says, it is not 'Nordic Noir'.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Taboo is really fine, especially the visual quality, direction, the colour scheme is magnificent and Jonathan Pryce is simply wonderful. I would highly recommend the Taboo, such a engaging story, filled with wonderful actors, RIdley Scott co-producer. A great tale.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

Taboo is really fine, especially the visual quality, direction, the colour scheme is magnificent and Jonathan Pryce is simply wonderful. I would highly recommend the Taboo, such a engaging story, filled with wonderful actors, RIdley Scott co-producer. A great tale.

Agree 100%.

I watched the series on Foxtel and absolutely loved it. I was hoping the season would have been longer though.

SBS ON DEmand: Mafia Only Kills in Summer

Italophiles, really warming to this series, centres around a family living in Palermo, Sicily in the 70’s. 
Series cleverly integrates real events around this family. There’s a comedic tone around the family but the darkness of the massive corruption is all around.
Genuinely scary what went on back then. Further reading of the history of this era very disturbing.

< The voice-over narrator of the whole series is an adult Salvatore Giammarresi (Pif), a 10-year-old boy (Edoardo Buscetta) that tells the story of an ordinary family of Palermo, his one, in the late 1970s.

The ordinary events, viewed from the kid's point of view, are mixed with the historical facts, regarding the Sicilian Mafia (Cosa Nostra), which characterized the city in that period. Alternating reality and TV fiction, there are various storylines related to the Sack of Palermo, to the personal friendship of Salvatore with Boris Giuliano or Mario Francese (both killed by the Mafia in 1979), etc. 

Despite being set during 1979 and 1980, within the fiction there are some flashbacks in which the narration develops in different periods. >

originally a film

regards Ian
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, rantan said:

Agree 100%.

I watched the series on Foxtel and absolutely loved it. I was hoping the season would have been longer though.

Watched the first two last night and am also loving it, I do like the dark stuff.

It's a tad too dark for the partner I am afraid but I will keep watching for sure, Hardy at his usual very high standard.

Binged The Day. Good old bank robbery gone wrong. I thought this one is quite  refreshing and clever. Kept me interested all the way through. ?

Edited by Y B

• 2 weeks later...

With my leg up I’m re-discovering SBS ON DEMAND. 

Currently watching Tour De Force - a light hearted French film about a man rediscovering himself by riding the TDF roads in front of the race. 

Some good, but stereotyped scripting of characters. A bit of fun, nice scenery, cycling and a good watch. It’s gone in a couple of days. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't watch SBS FTA, just On-Demand, and it's my clear perception that the number and length of ad breaks is on the rise.  Has anyone else noticed this?

A good example is the Chefs' Line, where they sometimes manage to squeeze three ad breaks into the last five minutes.

Do different rules apply to on-demand services?

watched kid with a bike on sms on demand. what a great film, we much enjoyed ! 

love the "french connection" section  on demand. and such choice ! 

I wish there was a german connection as well ! or other language movies split that ways ... perhaps they will some time...