SBS On Demand-currently watching

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

For some reason we cannot seem to open The Night manager, it keeps coming up with internet issues Goddammit.

In lieu however, we are thoroughly enjoying The Mafia only Kills In Summer.

I've really enjoyed The Night Manager.

Waiting for episode 4. :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soundfan said:

I've really enjoyed The Night Manager.

Waiting for episode 4. :)

I get everything else through my Panasonic PVR no probs, ABC I View, Bigpond movies, Youtube etc but SBS On demand, not so. Sometimes it works and other times it tells me the 'video is not available'. Sometimes I persist and the show begins, other time it simply wont and we watch something else, strangely usually another different show on SBS On Demand! Or we go to Netflix etc, very strange. Meh- computer stuff. Black magic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

Sometimes it works and other times it tells me the 'video is not available'.

I have a similar problem with my Humax 4Tune.  About one time out of every four I get the 'Connect to the Internet' message.  I shut down and turn it on again after it has 'updated' (what this is I don't know) and I am usually OK.  I am currently using wifi so I had ethernet cabling professionally installed last week and have just received the cables I ordered. Funnily enough the cabling people couldn't supply any.

As far as programs are concerned I usually stick to docos and drama.  I did have a run on the Food Channel but find the shows are becoming very samey.

I'm currently watching Arne Dahl - a bit wobbly to start off IMO but soon gets into its stride.  I also enjoyed Dicte, even though it got a bit soap opera-ish towards  the end.  Next will be The Five.

I like the way that the Nordic shows give an insight into their way of life.  Given that they are supposed to be a few years in advance of everyone else, I wonder if this is what we can expect in Australia, especially the very fluid attitude towards relationships and marriage.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bronal said:

I have a similar problem with my Humax 4Tune.  About one time out of every four I get the 'Connect to the Internet' message.  I shut down and turn it on again after it has 'updated' (what this is I don't know) and I am usually OK.  I am currently using wifi so I had ethernet cabling professionally installed last week and have just received the cables I ordered. Funnily enough the cabling people couldn't supply any.

As far as programs are concerned I usually stick to docos and drama.  I did have a run on the Food Channel but find the shows are becoming very samey.

I'm currently watching Arne Dahl - a bit wobbly to start off IMO but soon gets into its stride.  I also enjoyed Dicte, even though it got a bit soap opera-ish towards  the end.  Next will be The Five.

I like the way that the Nordic shows give an insight into their way of life.  Given that they are supposed to be a few years in advance of everyone else, I wonder if this is what we can expect in Australia, especially the very fluid attitude towards relationships and marriage.

Yes, they are quite androgynous in some ways, Dad might get the kids, Mum might, nothing set in stone, which is good really. Also, the gov seems to practice much more involvement in what happens at home amongst the family and they seem quite 'feared' by parents in that they must take the kids the moment something a bit messy happens.

I also used wi fi until a few months ago when I thought it was signal and ran an Ethernet cable under the house from the modem and up into the back of the unit I use-

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/panasonic-smart-network-3d-blu-ray-disc-dvd-recorder-with-twin-hd-tuner.html

It didn't make any difference so I assume the issue is with SBS but strangely, if I cant get it on the Panasonic unit, we often try the partners I-pad and it works fine on wi fi. Go figure.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/04/2017 at 8:50 PM, Darren69 said:

Just started The Young Pope with Jude Law, an absolute scream. Well worth a look, I enjoy the subtle click of the humour teamed up with the blasphemy.

Sort of like Python, but not.

if you love this check out Paolo Sorrentino's films The Great Beauty and Youth.

The Great Beauty gives the catholic religion and the party going "beautiful people" a real serve!

Youth sees Harvey Keitel and Michael Caine pining for their lost youth.

Both have a wicked sense of humour, superb cinematography and excellent actors, highly recommended!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2358891/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3312830/?ref_=nv_sr_1

regards Ian

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

if you love this check out Paolo Sorrentino's films The Great Beauty and Youth.

The Great Beauty gives the catholic religion and the party going "beautiful people" a real serve!

Youth sees Harvey Keitel and Michael Caine pining for their lost youth.

Both have a wicked sense of humour, superb cinematography and excellent actors, highly recommended!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2358891/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3312830/?ref_=nv_sr_1

regards Ian

Thanks Ian, will check them out, yes I enjoy very much the structure of Sorrentino's productions, you don't blink much!

Edited by Darren69

• 3 months later...

Another good Scandi one on SBS is Valkyrien.  You have to be willing to suspend disbelief a bit, but it's definitely a ride.  It's a sort of medical drama, only sort of though.  Having seen the first episode of Pulse on ABC, Valkyrien is a sad indictment of the fall of the ABC.  How a few million Norwegians make so many interesting TV programs is beyond me, especially when we outnumber them about four to one.

I confess to a little pride as I have Dupuytren's contracture, aka Viking disease.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/valkyrien

• Like 1

1 hour ago, static said:

Another good Scandi one on SBS is Valkyrien.  You have to be willing to suspend disbelief a bit, but it's definitely a ride.  It's a sort of medical drama, only sort of though.  Having seen the first episode of Pulse on ABC, Valkyrien is a sad indictment of the fall of the ABC.  How a few million Norwegians make so many interesting TV programs is beyond me, especially when we outnumber them about four to one.

I confess to a little pride as I have Dupuytren's contracture, aka Viking disease.

I'm half way through the first season of Valkyrien. Not bad at all.

• Like 1

I wonder where it might go in a second season.  I haven't quite finished the first.  Checked news on it.  I couldn't see a second season mentioned.  The Brits are remaking it which might be okay.  Thank God the Americans aren't.

• Like 1

Binge watched series one of Valkyrien on an Emirates flight a few weeks back. I suspected SBS would pick it up!

Also caught five episodes of Taboo (BBC First) very good too! Tom Hardy and a host of Brit character actors in fine form.

Wish it would be would be available free to air. Maybe it will as it was made by the same crew as Peaky Blinders which eventually did.

regards Ian

We enjoyed Valkyrien, it's always slightly amusing the slightly odd storylines that the Nordics come up with but they are so fresh and watchable compared to our western drivel.

Time for a new selection tonight!!

15 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

We enjoyed Valkyrien, it's always slightly amusing the slightly odd storylines that the Nordics come up with but they are so fresh and watchable compared to our western drivel.

Time for a new selection tonight!!

Try "Below The Surface". :thumb:

2 hours ago, soundfan said:

Try "Below The Surface". :thumb:

We were tossing up between that one and Trepalium and the latter won out but that just means we'll watch Below The Surface next. :D

Trepalium was a bit slow to start and almost abandoned it due to that 'I have seen this sort of thing before' feeling but it got interesting maybe halfway through the first show so we'll stick with it.

This one is pretty creepy so far.   Sometimes it's a little frustrating, dwelling on the " what would it be like " or " wouldn't it be bad" when you would prefer more action.

i have not read the book.  Something tells me that there will not be much in the way of resolution.  It all seems a bit too much without hope.

IMG_0001.JPG

Then last night we watched another episode of ‘thicker than water’ (like a Nordic 'Bloodlines', quite enjoyable) and then the first episode of the new season of Fortitude!! Woohoo, love that one. However, might have to go back and watch the last few episodes to refresh my mushy memory.

• 2 weeks later...

Binge watched the entire season of Valkyrien on a recent flight back from Europe, hmmm, looks a certain for SBS I thought.

Sure enough!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/aug/11/valkyrien-this-latest-scandi-noir-success-is-more-like-breaking-bad-than-borgen

another original Nordic noir, highly recommended!

On 07/08/2017 at 10:41 PM, Briz Vegas said:

This one is pretty creepy so far.   Sometimes it's a little frustrating, dwelling on the " what would it be like " or " wouldn't it be bad" when you would prefer more action.

i have not read the book.  Something tells me that there will not be much in the way of resolution.  It all seems a bit too much without hope.

IMG_0001.JPG

All too grim for me, recently saw Elisabeth Moss in The Square, much more fun!

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/19/the-square-review-ruben-ostlund-elisabeth-moss-cannes-2017