ISF Calibration Photos

49 minutes ago, blybo said:

Thank-you @Rec. 709  soo much for your hard work at place last night. The increase in picture sharpness and dark detail is fantastic.

I now have a brighter image overall, probably as I had done basic brightness/contrast settings when the projector was new and it had faded so gradually I didn't notice. My oversaturated/dark HDR profile is now a thing of the past and also now acheived on low lamp setting so no fan noise. I now have much better dark shadow detail and I can't wait to get back in there tonight and watch something... It was nearly 10pm by the time Tony left so we just watched a little bit of the BBC doco Planet Earth II afterwards. The picture is astounding, I'll take some shots tonight but doubt they will compare to being there. Even HD Foxtel channels look great!

Money well spent.

Blybo, your PJ is a JVC as well?

4 minutes ago, blybo said:

Yep, X7000

Great, no need to upgrade PJ for a foreseeable future.

Like yourself, was watching doco Blue Planet ll yesterday as well. Even HD quality series from Netflix looks stunning as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kc01 said:

Great, no need to upgrade PJ for a foreseeable future.

Like yourself, was watching doco Blue Planet ll yesterday as well. Even HD quality series from Netflix looks stunning as well.

Wasn't planning to, but yeah no need for quite some time. Until 4K laser is same quality/price I see no need to get minor improvements.

I turned on the cricket when I noticed my wife had fallen asleep, and even that had so much pop. The extra brightness almost seemed to make the Pakistani white shirts shimmer in the sunlight.

• Like 2

Tony did his magic on my X7000 and LG C7 today.  Great to have him talk me through the steps he takes.  Now to spend some time enjoying the rewards of his hard work.  I will post some more comments after I spend more time watching.

• Like 1

Rec709 successfully calibrated a 2017 Panasonic OLED EZ950 65" on Monday night.

Good improvements on the normal (SDR) Rec079 picture, with a 'bleeding' white softened resulting in better colour and contrast (I think Tony said he used a different gamma curve).  Tony's comment was that the default Pro 1 settings were very close to 'right', so the improvement from the different gamma curve surprised us both (I think).

The HDR Rec2020 calibration needed more adjustment, but took less time.  Better clarity now, and colours are more 'natural'.

Thanks Rec079

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

That's cruel showing these pictures.    This is the same TV I own.

When did you say you were coming to the Gold Coast???

The picture is absolutely stunning. 

How I wish we could organise a visit for you to calibrate my Sony X9400E.

Regards,

Paul

On 01/10/2019 at 1:09 PM, Rec. 709 said:

Some shots of a Sony X9400E which I recently calibrated and installed a Media Light Bias Lighting system.

#creepycrawlies!!

DSC01735.JPG

DSC01760.JPG

DSC01763.JPG

Before these specifically designed bias lighting sets became available, I attempted to do the same with some adjustable LED strips, unfortunately the results weren't good so I removed them pretty much straight away.

Thankfully they were cheap.

My question is, if I were to get a set of the bias lights you reviewed a while back, and I gather are the same ones use above for my 65" TV, which ones would be suitable ? [seems a bit confusing on the website on exactly which model I should buy].

Secondly, my TV is not wall mounted, the rear of the TV is 40cm from some Red blockout lined curtains, will the effect be just as good, or might I suffer a Red tinge due to reflection off the curtains ?

I had a pleasant visit from Tony late this week....he did a road trip to Sydney, where he did a calibration on my aging 1080p projector. The cal was everything I could've hoped for. The projector was a bit quirky, which meant Tony had a bit of a learning curve with it, but he dove in boots and all and nutted it out in short order, and indeed seemed to revel in it's adjustability.

I'm not the best photographer, and I don't have any 'before' shots, but here a few 'after' shots........

DSC_1314.thumb.jpg.4e79c104ed019c41403f031680a19f46.jpg

DSC_1315.thumb.jpg.fbddde6ee69916a1f1aa5210e5c856de.jpg

DSC_1313.thumb.jpg.45ddd6617ee8a63d95ba2fe37879551d.jpg

DSC_1312.thumb.jpg.b19435fb0958d5f99e70cae6e843c132.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the response to my post. It was all meant very much tongue in cheek!!!

Couldn't resist saying something after seeing those great shots of the same TV I have.

Would dearly love you to calibrate my TV but fully understand it has to be viable for you to visit the Gold Coast

I'll just keep not so patiently waiting.

By the way, for those interested, I have the "bias lighting" (recommended by Tony) and they work a treat. My TV is approx. 50cm from the back wall and the light shines onto a greeny /grey wall and still has the desired effect of making the picture look more dynamic with less eye strain. I actually enjoy movies more with the bias lighting on about 10% than sitting in a completely dark room. My TV bias lighting set up looks about the same as those in Tony's shots.  Obviously this is my experience, yours may differ.  

Regards,

Paul

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well it's been a while... I hope everyone is safe and well? I'm still working, but obviously limited to South Australia for the foreseeable future.  I've let this thread fall way behind and thought it may be a good opportunity to update it. Below are some pics from a recent LUT calibration I completed on an LG 55" C9 and LG 77" C8, with profiles created for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision with custom tone curves for HDR. The process takes me a little longer than a standard calibration, but the results are outstanding and at that end of the day, that's the most important thing! I will be soon be sharing some before and after shots of another C9 LUT calibration, however if there's anything you would like to see please let me know and I'll do my best to accommodate.

IMG_20200330_123606.jpg

IMG_20200330_134400.jpg

IMG_20200330_134404.jpg

MVIMG_20200227_114733.jpg

MVIMG_20200227_113914.jpg

IMG_20200330_143359.jpg

IMG_20200330_143429.jpg

IMG_20200330_143420.jpg

MVIMG_20200330_143416.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was looking back over this thread the other day and realised it's been almost two years since I updated it!! Since then I've added a JETI 1501 spectroradiometer and Klein K10A colorimeter to my kit. Both are outstanding meters with the Klein K10A (white and black) being my work horse. In addition to being exceptionally quick, it's insanely accurate and able to read low light levels far more accurately than any other meter I've used. The JETI (blue) is far slower in comparison, but is a 2nm true reference grade spectroradiometer. The JETI leads a far easier life, used to calibrate some laser projectors, create offset tables for the Klein when needed and provide a quick sanity check if I'm ever doubt of the readings.

120013540_1727900484024955_1653797492176278056_n.jpg

184356455_1929701930511475_3411615742629470633_n.jpg

196397419_1946926968788971_3768801357450845755_n.jpg

Edited by Clarity Calibration
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

I'm new to the forum and just had stumbled upon this thread and have to say..Love your work!

This seems like a rather basic question but I currently just bought an OLED TV which I plan on getting mounted on a wall eventually. I've been facing some issues mounting it as the wall is not reinforced and it's a 77'

Should I only be calibrating it after it has been mounted?

Thanks in Advance!

• 3 months later...

It's been a busy few months between the HIFI Show, reviews and of course calibrations. Nonetheless, thought it was high time I shared some shots of a recent calibration. These are taken from an 85" Samsung Q900B which I recently calibrated. They are a very well behaved television when it comes to calibration, with excellent greyscale accuracy obtained with just the two point greyscale controls. Of course, using the 20-point greyscale controls meant that better than reference results were able to be achieved, particularly when it came to gamma. 

Post calibration images were beautiful and the client was very happy. Will be back in a couple of weeks to calibrate game modes for this client.

20220714_191626.jpg

20220714_191608.jpg

20220714_191426.jpg

Samsung Q900B SDR.jpg

Samsung Q900B Colour.jpg

Samsung Q900B HDR.jpg

Calman Report.png