Pre Cut Panels For Loud Speaker

twenty

has anyone had a cabinent maker supply and cut their cabinents for them??

i have been quoted $132 for the supply and cut out of MDF for a copy of Zaph's waveguide.......

does this sound resonable??

thanx glenn

[/b]

What part of Australia are you in Twenty? I’m sure there are some speaker builders that could manufacture the cabinets for you, unless of course you want to do some of the hard yards yourself.

What part of Australia are you in Twenty? I’m sure there are some speaker builders that could manufacture the cabinets for you, unless of course you want to do some of the hard yards yourself.

[/b]

im in geelong vic.....basically will pick up anything in melbourne..........

i didn't think anyone would be willing to build someone elses cabinents.......but im sure they would do a better job then me (no woodworking skills what so ever).......therefore if some one wants to and the price was resonable then yeah id go for it.......

sorry i dont understand what you are saying?? does this have something to do with cutting the pannels out??

i will be building the cabinents, therefore making sure everything is sealed properly......like liquid nailing everything up.........

You want to make sure whoever is making the panels for you to ensure they are very accurate in their dimensions. For example, furniture may not matter if the dimensions are a few mm this way or that but on a speaker box (when you put it together) you don't want to have to fill a 2mm gap with glue, you may have air leakage and simply filling it with glue will not make for a strong bond and the panels may flex.

But you are on the right track with sealing everything properly!

For my subs I bought a sheet of MDF and gave the guys at the hardware shop a cutting plan which they did for $1 a cut and for a hardware store they did a good job.

I used a silicon seal on all inside joins, with glue and screws of course; no leaks that I can tell.

yeah definantly going to be siliconing every thing up on the inside.....

so you just bought the MDF marked where to cut and they were happy enough to cut it down for you???

that said anyone would like to do some routing for me....speaker cut outs??

I built my subwoofer to my design and faxed the panel list to a Mr Plywood shop in Wollongong. The panels had all sorts of angles on them too, not a small job. Mr Plywood had a state of the art laser guided cutting table which made the job easy for them. It didn't seem to add a whole lot to the cost of the plywood.

http://www.gourmetsaint.com.au/Subwoofer

Cheers,

Mark

yeah definantly going to be siliconing every thing up on the inside.....

so you just bought the MDF marked where to cut and they were happy enough to cut it down for you???

that said anyone would like to do some routing for me....speaker cut outs??

[/b]

I drew up a cutting plan and they did the straight edge cutting. The only cutting I had to do was the Holes for the driver and the Amp module(sub) and I had a router but didn't know how to use it ,still don't, so the holes were rough to say the least.