Stump

Wanted to Loan/ Swap High End Phono with ASR Basis Exclusive (Adelaide)

Wanted to Loan / Swap High End Phono with ASR Basis Exclusive

I have had X3 Phono Amps which have grown with my system.Anyone in Adelaide interested in trying the  ASR Basis Exclusive against there equal of higher End Phono Stage? Some of the Phonos I would like to try are :

Pass Labs XP-25 Phono Preamp

Clearaudio Absolute Phono

Gryphon Legato Legacy

Audio Note M6

Allnic Audio H3000 MK2

RCM AUDIO SENSOR II

It would be great to hear Chalk and Cheese difference between units until the $$ diminishing returns becomes more apparent.. :thumb:

ASR Basis Exclusive 10Kg

post-109524-0-96327300-1471832126_thumb.

Battery Power  26Kg

post-109524-0-65500400-1471832168_thumb.

Lehmann Black Cube SE Phono Preamp

http://www.needledoctor.com/Lehmann-Black-Cube-SE

Clearaudio - Balance + - Phono Preamplifier

http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Balance-Plus-Phonostage

ASR Basis Exclusive

http://puremusicgroup.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=350

Edited by Stump

Hi Sump,

I have the RCM sensor 2 you could try out

Hi Sump,

I have the RCM sensor 2 you could try out

Hello Stranger ;)

Yes I had you in mind and next time we catch up it will be good for you to bring the RCM along.I have been comparing the ASR Basis Exclusive with a Canadian with his other options and has got my enthusiasm going.Plus a turntable tweak coming up :thumb:

Stump

Hello Stranger

Yes I had you in mind and next time we catch up it will be good for you to bring the RCM along.I have been comparing the ASR Basis Exclusive with a Canadian with his other options and has got my enthusiasm going.Plus a turntable tweak coming up

just let me know when you are free.

that turntable mod wouldn't be a new arm? possibly of the non pivoting variety? ;) 

Had the use of the RCM sensor 2 this week (Thanks Peterpan) which is a great unit.Going through the gain settings finding the sweet spot My clearaudio da vinci v2 cart has a recommended load of 30 ohm .I found this a little flat and dull.50 ohm was better with brighter voice and instruments and 100 ohm made the voice too bright /instruments good. So I settle for 50 ohm with the overall dynamics on the sweet spot.Great result all round and now to play with the settings of the  ASR Basis Exclusive with a better understanding of what to look out for..:thumb:

Stump

P1030145.JPG

P1030149.JPG

Good grief. I don't think I need to hear your phono stage Stump, at that price. But I have an RCM Sensor Prelude Mk1 you can borrow. See how it compares with the Mk2 if your audio memory is good enough :-D

Hello Tal

Thanks for your offer.The Mk2 gave me a good idea when compared to the ASR Basis Exclusive .I was happy with the results.At this stage I would like to find something that outshines the ASR Basis Exclusive .

Cheers Stump

I'm in the process of researching ASR v RCM phono stages with a view to possibly getting one or the other. Do you still prefer your ASM to other contenders, Stump?

10 hours ago, Tony Cox said:

I'm in the process of researching ASR v RCM phono stages with a view to possibly getting one or the other. Do you still prefer your ASM to other contenders, Stump?

I have been using my LM 129 Phono last few months and the ASR since back from the Melbourne Show.Regarding ASR v RCM phono in general I could live with both .Where the ASR wins out you have more options matching   your cart for that sweet spot.For general setup you wouldn't notice the difference.

Stump

On 10/13/2016 at 10:30 AM, Stump said:

Hello Tal

Thanks for your offer.The Mk2 gave me a good idea when compared to the ASR Basis Exclusive .I was happy with the results.At this stage I would like to find something that outshines the ASR Basis Exclusive .

Cheers Stump

Hi Stump,

I suspect that the RCM Theriaa would be a in that group for comparison.  Unfortunately I have the RCM Sensor 2 as my benchmark.  I had the ASR Basis at one point and it was a good phono stage.  It had a different presentation over the RCM1.   The option to upgrade to the Sensor 2 was too good to refuse so i made it happen.

If your cart need loading options below 100ohms, and you like fiddling with these, have a look at the Manley Chinook.  From memory it had heaps of loadings in that range.  Pretty decent phonostage too.

Thanks for your replies, guys. Loading considerations aside, I deduce that the RCM Sensor 2 is better sound quality-wise than the ASR Basis. I just need to stop myself wondering how much better the Theriaa might be!

Thanks for your replies, guys. Loading considerations aside, I deduce that the RCM Sensor 2 is better sound quality-wise than the ASR Basis. I just need to stop myself wondering how much better the Theriaa might be!
As an owner of the Sensor 2 and having heard one in some upper echelon systems,
I'm not going to die wondering - too busy focusing on extracting even more from this phenomenal phono by improvements in other parts of the chain.
And believe me ecstatic so far with what I'm hearing, however still few plans in pipeline.

I have heard it's better but could merely be a different flavor or small incremental lift.
For the unobtaineum amount of money they sell for, think I'll pass.

Although if found an actual owner willing to put up against the Sensor 2 , would be an educational exercise!

9 hours ago, Tony Cox said:

No harm done wondering..in fact makes this hobby fun.  :)   If the finance minister approves or the credit card permits,  getting a Theriaa will remove  a lot of doubt from wondering and be the envy of many around here, myself included :thumb:

30 minutes ago, katattack74 said:

No harm done wondering..in fact makes this hobby fun.  :)   If the finance minister approves or the credit card permits,  getting a Theriaa will remove  a lot of doubt from wondering and be the envy of many around here, myself included :thumb:

Yes, the research stage is a substantial part of the fun. My system (and my life!) has reached the point where the next upgrade might well be my last so I'm finding myself trying to determine what the term 'maxed out' means in that context. At the moment the rest of my system is probably at the Sensor 2 level, so while the Theriaa in itself might not be out of reach, the maximisation of its potential might well be! :ohmy: 

Hi Stump

Sounds very generous, I am always keen to try something different in my system and I have a couple of balanced only brystons that I would love to hook directly up to a phono/pre and the clear audio ticks the box. Dont have anything in the league your after for a swap but I have an icon ps3 or a consonance r40 for the hell of it or maybe a bottle of red.

On 18/11/2017 at 10:36 PM, Stump said:

I have been using my LM 129 Phono last few months and the ASR since back from the Melbourne Show.Regarding ASR v RCM phono in general I could live with both .Where the ASR wins out you have more options matching   your cart for that sweet spot.For general setup you wouldn't notice the difference.

Stump

@Stump how would you characterise LM129 vs ASR vs RCM....:)

48 minutes ago, pulinap said:

@Stump how would you characterise LM129 vs ASR vs RCM....:)

The main difference I found in the ASR vs RCM 2 test was similar sound wise with the ASR having more adjustments to tune in on the carts sweet spot.The LM 129 being older WE topology is not as revealing in detail but makes up  for it with overall warmth.

Stump

2 hours ago, McCvinyl said:

Hi Stump

Sounds very generous, I am always keen to try something different in my system and I have a couple of balanced only brystons that I would love to hook directly up to a phono/pre and the clear audio ticks the box. Dont have anything in the league your after for a swap but I have an icon ps3 or a consonance r40 for the hell of it or maybe a bottle of red.

I no longer have the Clear Audio.If you like to catch up sometime I can demo the ASR and LM 129 ..

Stump

That would be good I notice your a fan of the LM stuff, I am looking at an amp upgrade soon and would be keen to hear your oppinion of it.

How does the LM fare up against the ASR there is a bit of a difference in $.

How far are you from Largs Bay?

Hey Stump

I justtried to read your message and some how deleted it on my dodgee ipad but I think I read osborn?

14 hours ago, McCvinyl said:

Hey Stump

I justtried to read your message and some how deleted it on my dodgee ipad but I think I read osborn?

Yes.Just around the corner Osborne

Wow !  the LeFevre Peninsula mob is growing  -  sorry l cant offer any views re the topic above (out of my depth)@Stump

Hi Grump

It seems hifi on the LeFevre is alive and well.

Just noticed you are having some fun with tonearm wires, I wouldnt call myself a technician but I do have the equipment and have soldered tonearm wires with some success before. Be happy to trek all the way across the bridge and get you spinning again If your stuck.

ASR has been sold so no longer available........cheers