Hi guys. I need your help!

I have recently spent a lot of my time converting my dads and my CD collection to FLAC's to be able to use on my high res media player FiiO X1. Now my music tastes are extremely diverse and I don't just listen to one band or genre, so buying CD's can be quite costly as im sure we all know as well as 90% of the time I only like a handful of songs on a 12-15 song album.

Is there sites online where I would be able to download high quality FLAC's free (excluding pirate bay because its just painful) or pay for them in AUD? 

Guest Sime

So, you want free music?

Or pay for them Online as long as they are 16 bit lossless, not apple lossless or mp3

Edited by Cgrundle96

Try https://www.hdtracks.com/. I need to use VPN to avoid geoblocking but can buy from them. Very clunky site but couldn't beat geoblocking on http://www.prostudiomasters.com/, shame as much nicer site. Could try Society of Sounds http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Society_of_Sound or Acoustic Sounds http://store.acousticsounds.com/superhirez. Always Linn and Naim who have hi res downloads.

Keith

If yer into psy-trance / dub / ambient then there's plenty of FLAC downloads available at Ektoplazm. All music there is released under a creative commons license and can be downloaded for nowt. I've downloaded heaps and recommended quite a few titles here. A good taster is the 5 hour mix "The Colours Of Ektoplazm" available here.

Also there's lots of artists on Bandcamp that have FLAC/WAV downloads with a "name your price" policy, just have to poke around and explore.

--Geoff

slsknet.org

Soulseek is an old school p2p file sharing app. Based in Israel and been around for years. FLAC files are still in the minority but much more common these days. Include it in your search term.

Or pay for them Online as long as they are 16 bit lossless, not apple lossless or mp3

There should no problems paying for apple lossless as you can convert to Flac without loss, easily on a mac or windows pc.

Before you invest download these files (i have uploaded them, within the copyright sampling rules) and test yourself.

You might find that in many (probably all) cases humans are unable to tell the difference. Of course, you might be able to as well :) Worth a try.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/93775-so-what-does-the-original-master-tape-sound-like/?p=1504031

Moderator post:

Guys, I have hidden a post that links to a torrent site. This forum is a responsible member of the hi-fi community and likes to see the artists that we enjoy get paid for their work.

As this thread, and others have demonstrated, it is not yet as easy as it should be to buy all the download files that we want but that is still not enough of a reason to deny recording artists their share.

Who says that just because somebody download torrents that they won't go out and buy a title they like?

Because that's exactly what I do. Thanks to torrents, I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on CDs and vinyl.

I cannot stream media, the only practical way I can sample music is to download it. If I like it, I buy it.

Who says that just because somebody download torrents that they won't go out and buy a title they like?

Because that's exactly what I do. Thanks to torrents, I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on CDs and vinyl.

I cannot stream media, the only practical way I can sample music is to download it. If I like it, I buy it.

It sounds like you are an honest and responsible music lover.

Some people are not and have no intention of ever paying for copyrighted music they get from a Torrent Site

Moderator post:

Guys, I have hidden a post that links to a torrent site. This forum is a responsible member of the hi-fi community and likes to see the artists that we enjoy get paid for their work.

As this thread, and others have demonstrated, it is not yet as easy as it should be to buy all the download files that we want but that is still not enough of a reason to deny recording artists their share.

You might wanna look again at the above posts if hiding links to file sharing is your aim. ;)

Moderator post:

I thought this was going to be brought up and I totally respect it too I have no intention to rip off the artist but i believe if you have already once paid for an album or that song that you should be initialed to freely download it in any formate you want. I have only just recently been introduced into the world of lovely Lossless music and now have a genuine headfi setup. Previously I was buying and downloading music off of itunes, only now have i realised the problem with this is that you cant download music from itunes in lossless the best you can have is 256kps (for memory) so the hundreds of dollars i have spend on my music collection is now void because now im stuck with a "crappy version" 

It sounds like you are an honest and responsible music lover.

Some people are not and have no intention of ever paying for copyrighted music they get from a Torrent Site

Anyone who is motivated to steal music is not going to look for answers in this thread. Censorship in this case is pointless and a little insulting, frankly.

I often browse through bandcamp.com and have found some excellent music there.

While they don't offer the mainstream commercial stuff, there's a lot that can be obtained legally for free, whenever the "name your price" option is available. 

And yes - you can download in FLAC.

A friend's sister was the Warner Bros Canada staff member who liaised with Loreena McKennitt.

Loreena was reasonably internet savvy and wanted her music (in high quality) available for download. She was also concerned at the materials' costs and wastes associated with CDs and their transport world wide.

She further deplored the lack of ability to search WB music in any sort of effective way.

Eventually she took over the production and distribution of her music herself; and she wasn't the only one.

WB is still laying off staff and complaining about piracy.

Greg

(BTW--the 'in house' price for a CD was less than $3.)