Garrott P77

Hi, I wish to ask you all, with the original Garrott P77 (not the new P77i) what was the stylus profile ? (red body) and, was it bonded or nude ? will this be suited to a Pioneer linear tracker PL1000 ? and, finally, how would it compare ? to a Pickering XV-15 1200E ? and will the Pickering be better suited to the Pioneer TT ? Thanks.

I bought a P77 in the early 80s I think. I broke the cantilever about 30 years ago and it's been sitting in a cupboard somewhere, so I'm interested in any answers to your question.

I thought they had a parabolic stylus but my memory of the 80s is getting pretty poor.  :P

Guest Mr Thorens

I've had a P77 and a XV-15 1200E previously on a Thorens with Rega arm a few years ago. The P77 was superior. Better detail retrieval and more transparent, particularly at the top. The 1200E was a nice vintage warm sort of cart but for me lacked a bit of transparency and dynamics. Part of it could be that the 1200E is a high compliance cartridge (but I haven't checked) and not such a good match for the arm.

• 2 years later...

I thought i would add my experience of a P77. I've had one of these sitting in a draw for years and never tried it out. So off with the MP500 and on it went it was a breeze to align and vtf was set at 1.8g.
I cued up a record and listened for a track just to check nothing was wrong then turned it down and played the record all afternoon with the volume down.

So that evening i managed to play quite a few records from many genres from blues to reggae some electronic and older 80's stuff and i must say i am really impressed with this cart. It would be silly to compare it with the MP500 because they are very different indeed.

What i loved about this cart is the pace and authority it conveys whilst remaining poised and contrlolled. Not the last word in micro details but i really don't feel like anything is missing from the track i am listening to. In fact quite the opposite, vocals are focused, emotional and to front of the mix, I'm hearing plenty of seperation between instruments nice highs a a strong controlled bass. I'd say this is quite a dynamic sounding cart with a toe tapping mid range but it is als very smooth and easy to listen to.

In between the sit down listening I've had a great weekend just spinning records, not critical listening just on whilst we went around the house with the odd listen here and there. Every time i stopped for a listen i walked away smiling.

What a cracker of a cart!

Is this a Garrot signature sound because if it is i really like it?

You may have seen from my posts that I have gone from a Ortofon Rondo Blue to K3 (and a K2 in TT2).

love them. And I love the fact that though all my gear is all DIY I’m using a Ozzy cart. I really do enjoy my Garrott and can’t see me changing. Going from a MC to a MM there is nothing I’m missing.

Nice Mark, i do remember you using the K2 from other threads and it's great to see how home grown your gear is, i have such a soft spot for your mimic phono stages.
I suppose my next move would be putting a new stylus in the P77 to take it to a P77i. So putting this out there, has any one tried this and also there must have been a point where carts were made by the brothers and then by the next person how would one tell and can one tell?

John Garrott back in the early 80's.

"The new Garrott P-77 sounds at its best when the arm is raised significantly at the pivot, and the arm tube is clearly seen to slope down from the pivot to cartridge in playing position."

"This is the matter of Tension of the head screws. You will see that me mention that your Garratt Dynamic Coil cartridge is to be secured GENTLY ONLY. We mean exactly that. Tensioning the 2 screws beyond that point will stifle the sound and dynamics"

It was called a Microscanner and was a nude as far as I remember.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TOPSHELF said:

Here is a picture of the stylus i think it looks ok?6195ca4967fb048f4461a7e6986a69e0.jpg

No disrespect but I think if you don’t have a scope and know exactly what to look for you can never be sure of the tip condition. A mate new his stylus was worn when the cart started skipping tracks. You would want to get it replaced way before that. 

The beauty of the Garrott MMs is the stylus is field replaceable and not crazy expensive. You could even set a schedule which says every two or three years I’ll replace the stylus regardless. That way you will always know you are getting the best sound and minimum record wear. 

Ill see what Tivoli will sell one for and let you know. They have done some really great deals for me so here’s hoping. 

• Like 1

"The new Garrott P-77 sounds at its best when the arm is raised significantly at the pivot, and the arm tube is clearly seen to slope down from the pivot to cartridge in playing position."

"This is the matter of Tension of the head screws. You will see that me mention that your Garratt Dynamic Coil cartridge is to be secured GENTLY ONLY. We mean exactly that. Tensioning the 2 screws beyond that point will stifle the sound and dynamics"

It was called a Microscanner and was a nude as far as I remember.

Thank you that is a great help, what i do notice with this cart that if i tap the arm the tap noise resonates through the speaker i presume it is normal. I have tried to isolate the cart from the screw head and hole on the tonearm with a rubber ship, vta on my arm can be set at anything so i will be trying the pillar up from level. I also pinched the screw tight so will back that off too....

No disrespect but I think if you don’t have a scope and know exactly what to look for you can never be sure of the tip condition. A mate new his stylus was worn when the cart started skipping tracks. You would want to get it replaced way before that. 

The beauty of the Garrott MMs is the stylus is field replaceable and not crazy expensive. You could even set a schedule which says every two or three years I’ll replace the stylus regardless. That way you will always know you are getting the best sound and minimum record wear. 

Ill see what Tivoli will sell one for and let you know. They have done some really great deals for me so here’s hoping. 
Thanks Mark i have seen a few variants of a replacement stylus so i was hoping someone has tried the options available. I am more than happy to get a new stylus as i am really happy with it. I know there is an element of a new different sound than the MP500 and i am liking the difference but it really is a sound i like more. The MP500 is a lovely cart in every way as you get to hear such delicate nuances but sometimes my system sounded a bit too tubey and i do like a bit more "meat on my bones" if that makes sense.

54 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Which is exactly what Graeme Rodwell told me was Linn's advice, back in the day.  :thumb:

Andy

Well what a fun day and i feel this cart has gone from very nice to very nice indeed.

I took the headshell off and put a couple of those tiny plastic spacers on the screw and put one above the cart and one below essentially isolating the cart. There is still my infamous hum in the background but that is a power issue.

I then set everything back in it's place and then started raising the pillar from just below level, well with each side of Portisheads Dummy i added a 5c coin.....

Vocals started becoming more focused, drums had snap and all those great 808 sounds became so clear bass actually increases and surface noise became quieter. It's difficult to say how much VTA ive put on it as Well tempered arms are governed by the length of fishing line to start. I would say from just below level as a point I've put an extra 2x$1 + 1x$1.

I'm sitting here listening to the Beatles Abbey road and it's full bodied, engaging and lots of fun!

Vtf is 1.75g any thoughts on this.

The tip to tip down the tip is top. Thanks.

• Like 1

I had an original P77, what a great cart!  I sold it after I went digital in the mid 1990s.  I'm now back into analogue and the closest cart I have found that sounds like it (as best as I can recall) is the LP Gear The Vessel.  The body is made by the Excel Sound Corp in Japan which I understand also makes the P77 body.  I have the entry level A3SE cart and it is very dynamic to listen to.  Other stylus shapes and cantilever materials are offered at higher prices that claim much higher performance, with one reviewer claiming the R3SM version beats out an Ortofon 2M Black.  I personally have not heard either of these 2 carts so I can't make a call on those versions. As far as the $89 USD A3SE is concerned, I'm personally blown away on how good it sounds on my SL1210.  Maybe the R3SM may be a better buy than a current Garrot?

• Like 1