Sign in to follow this  
audiofeline

What stone is best for TT's: Marble/Granite/Slate?

Recent sales of for stone to place under turrntables or to make plinths, plus the resurrection of the "the dark side is slate grey" topic has got my mind questioning: "Which type of stone has the best acoustic properties for turntables?".  I have been considering getting some stone to put under my TT's, and stone is also highly regarded for plinths. 

I had a conversation recently with a stonemason who said that marble was cheaper and easier to cut+polish compared to granite.  djb's thread on slate reminded me that slate is used for plinths, and my basic understanding of geology suggests that it's not as hard as granite or marble. 

Has anyone done comparisons, or is aware of any?  Does the properties for a stone surface for the TT to rest on have different requirements to stone used for a plinth?  Are there other stones which are worth considering (obsidian has been used, and the synthetic Corian is not as good as stone). In your replies please indicate if your comments relate to surfaces or plinths. 

In summary:

• Marble/Granite/Slate/other?

• Base or plinth?

Just curious but is Caesar stone or brand equivalent (essay stone) falls into same category ?

I've seen members here use the butchers block from ikea under their TT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Souwalker

Interesting thread. I can get access to large slabs of quartz and have often wondered would this be a good material for a plinth?

My Garrard 401 would look great in a quartz plinth...

However, quartz also has piezoelectric qualities, and I do wonder what (if any) negative effects it might have on a turntable.

I prefer timber if the timber type is chosen well and fit for purpose

See my 401 plinth build here - http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/82084-garrard-401-rebuild-for-the-22nd-century/

But if I had a choice of stone I would use slate similar to what's used on pool / billiards tables

Recent sales of for stone to place under turrntables or to make plinths, plus the resurrection of the "the dark side is slate grey" topic has got my mind questioning: "Which type of stone has the best acoustic properties for turntables?".  I have been considering getting some stone to put under my TT's, and stone is also highly regarded for plinths. 

I had a conversation recently with a stonemason who said that marble was cheaper and easier to cut+polish compared to granite.  djb's thread on slate reminded me that slate is used for plinths, and my basic understanding of geology suggests that it's not as hard as granite or marble. 

Has anyone done comparisons, or is aware of any?  Does the properties for a stone surface for the TT to rest on have different requirements to stone used for a plinth?  Are there other stones which are worth considering (obsidian has been used, and the synthetic Corian is not as good as stone). In your replies please indicate if your comments relate to surfaces or plinths. 

In summary:

• Marble/Granite/Slate/other?

• Base or plinth?

AIUI, slate is better than granite or marble because of its far higher self-damping attributes (after all, it's really only squashed mud!).  I suspect Corian actually would also be good - because of the damping effect of the resin in the mix.

There are also other sedimentary rocks which have good qualities - I seem to remember the name 'Coral stone'?

I have a couple of 25mm slabs of slate - as you're in Melbourne, you're welcome to borrow one to use as a base, to see how it sounds.  They're something like 450x350.

Regards,

Andy

Depends on the type of turntable. Suspended subchasis turntables, especially ones with a light subchasis such as a Pink Triangle do not react well to 'massive' stands and bases. Turntables that are themselves high mass will themselves respond better to stone bases etc.

Don't overlook sandstone for an unsuspended turntable. My Model 10 sounded at its best on a slab of it. I made a stand.

stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

What issue are you looking to overcome with the addition of a plinth?

What kind of TT do you have and what is it sitting on?

What issue are you looking to overcome with the addition of a plinth?

What kind of TT do you have and what is it sitting on?

I'm not looking at making a plinth, but interested nevertheless.  And I've been curious about the properties of different stone used for audio, and thought it could be an interesting discussion. 

I have a SourceOdessay and OrepheusSilex.  I have them on racks, with mdf top, reinforced with ply.  My thoughts have been somewhat generated by a floorboard issue (which I have largely constrained), but I notice that footsteps still cause vibrations (observing the spirit level bubble).  I have been wondering if adding some mass on top may reduce this further, and also improve the audio from the tables.  Other thoughts have been to build a sandbox, which I would be curious how this would compare to a slab of stone. 

Edited by audiofeline

Don't overlook sandstone for an unsuspended turntable. My Model 10 sounded at its best on a slab of it. I made a stand.

The sandstone looks nice!

+1 for a slab of sandstone here too. I used it to great effect on top of my ikea shelving the planar3 sounded much better than before. Mind you i haven't tried other dense materials such as marble and granite or a bamboo chopping board.

The slab of sanstone was about 70mm thick, i think its time i made another for the Well temperedclassic i may carve a mould around this one.

Another question: How thick does a stone block need to be to be effective?  70mm is very thick.  A lot of stone is cut to 1.5-2.0cm thick. 

Coal?  It has a lot lower Q-factor, has many layers, absorbs high frequency........... it is abundant .... ..now not needed for power generation....  you could be the 1st "green" table. 

I recall from the dim dark recesses of the internet some lengthy discussions on polished vs unpolished.  The consensus being that stone of whatever type is ok, but polishing it is not a good thing, acoustically speaking.

Coal?  It has a lot lower Q-factor, has many layers, absorbs high frequency........... it is abundant .... ..now not needed for power generation....  you could be the 1st "green" table. 

What about the carbon tax?

I've had success with granite. HRS use granite in their designs. I believe using more than one type of material offers better isolation results.

I recall from the dim dark recesses of the internet some lengthy discussions on polished vs unpolished.  The consensus being that stone of whatever type is ok, but polishing it is not a good thing, acoustically speaking.

C'mon, Murray ... how possibly can 'polishing' do anything to the sound?  Then again, I suppose polishing has a different connotation depending on whether you are talking about a hard stone material (granite, marble) vs. a relatively soft material like slate?

In fact, AIUI, slate cannot be 'polished' (to a 'gleam', like granite can) - so what you end up with is a level & smooth surface - which is what you want.

Andy

I do not have a TT nor am I interested in having one.  Nevertheless the questions as to whether a plate or plinth under digital could be beneficial and if so what it might be composed of is worthy of consideration?  I have tried granite, thick steel plate, thin copper plate, various thick natural timbers, bamboo, thick MDF and springs with all of the previous.  The supplier said of the granite that the black was the densest compared to all other colours.

Each material has a different chemical and physical structure and qualities and potentially as a consequence will behave different to all other materials in terms of resonance, vibration and isolation.  The behaviour and benefit of each one will probably be influenced by what the TT is made from, its respective weight relative to the plinth plus the stand and its composition.

The thing that worked for me with all of the plates was the springs.  The important thing was to get the springs with the appropriate tension for the weight and to get them in the right place so that the weight of the box was evenly distributed as possible.  That is that the box moved up and down evenly across all of its extremities.  It must not wobble from one side to the other like a wave.  Also the spring tension dictated the frequency or timing of the up and down movement.  Slow rather than fast.  Naturally with a TT you would not want it to move whilst it was playing.  But it would interesting to know what a TT would be like with a heavy plate for stability plus the right springs?

John

Slate, slate and slate!

I made several plinths out of thick slate, best material for turntables.

Depends on your turntable. Have had good success with thick granite under my Sota. My Well Tempered Versalex works well with light baltic pine.

Soapstone might even be better than slate - it is softer than slate.  Mohr's = 1 whereas slate = 3-5 I think. 

Hi,

This my Thorens 160. The cut some of the base as seen in the attached image. When it sat on a granite slab the sound was a little bright. So I had the 'material board' that I bought form Bunnings and laid it on the granite slab. It removes the slight 'glare' in the sound and the result is perfect for me.

See attached photos. 

Bob

post-150934-0-03622800-1471506040_thumb.

post-150934-0-97859400-1471506052_thumb.

post-150934-0-78105800-1471506073_thumb.

post-150934-0-82248600-1471506092_thumb.

Edited by Heifetz

Hi,

This my Thorens 160. The cut some of the base as seen in the attached image. When it sat on a granite slab the sound was a little bright. So I had the 'material board' that I bought form Bunnings and laid it on the granite slab. It removes the slight 'glare' in the sound and the result is perfect for me.

See attached photos. 

Bob

Interesting, it looks like the "material board" is taming reflected energy from the TT, while the stone isolates and dissipates the energy. 

Does anyone know where I could find some stone appropriate for a Technics 1200 to absorb bass vibration (from a bass speaker) - I need an 'odd' size of 45cm x 50cm (due to having oversized 'boots' for my feet, and wanting even bigger ones - the MKstands over feet). I've been looking around but can only find other sizes. 45 x 50 (x2) is the only size that will easily fit on my DJ booth. I looked at some paving slabs from Bunnings but they didn't seem level, the bottom wasn't smooth at all. I figured I could have sanded it off but I don't have any tools for that..

Edited by ninjagaijin

5 hours ago, ninjagaijin said:

Does anyone know where I could find some stone appropriate for a Technics 1200 to absorb bass vibration (from a bass speaker) - I need an 'odd' size of 45cm x 50cm (due to having oversized 'boots' for my feet, and wanting even bigger ones - the MKstands over feet). I've been looking around but can only find other sizes. 45 x 50 (x2) is the only size that will easily fit on my DJ booth. I looked at some paving slabs from Bunnings but they didn't seem level, the bottom wasn't smooth at all. I figured I could have sanded it off but I don't have any tools for that..

Hi @ninjagaijin,

look to a stone supplier like the ones that came up on an internet search. They would likely be able to cut to size at a modest fee. 
mid the bass speaker is causing distortion or even causing the stylus to jump the groove you may also need further isolation. 

8A40A7D3-693A-421D-B7EB-0AAF643BB712.png