Marc

Recommended HiFi / AV Repairers

On 16/06/2019 at 6:55 AM, twofires said:

Hi all,

I have an old Denon PMA-320 stereo integrated (a 60w thing from 1989) that has the following issues:

- one channel will take longer to fire up than the other by about 30s (assume this is solder?)

- the phono stage is kaput (no signal)

- it's almost as old as I am, and doubtless could do with a recap

Now, I bought this amp for $50 as a temporary solution, so I'm not planning to throw my whole wallet at the job, but it's a charming little thing once it's up and running and I've grown quite fond of it. Hard rubbish collection has come around again this week, and I've decided to spare it that rainy fate.

I'm in Melbourne, and it seems my options are CVE (close to me), JLS (specifically mention Denon as a brand they service, price for a recap mentioned here by another seems very reasonable), and potentially an SNAer or two (peace of mind?).

Am I going to have an luck for $300 or less, and who would you recommend for that work?

Try Dr Sound in Mulgrave. He has been most helpful to me. Very interesting to visit and see the range of gear that is brought to him for repair. He has a website for the contact.

On 18/02/2017 at 3:29 PM, Karl Rand said:

Tony McKay at Tivoli Hi-Fi skilled, honest and reliable

and helpful may I add.

I fix stuff in Perth and on occasion I had to ask about some substitute parts for one of the brands he does.

He was always ready to provide assistance.

On 13/02/2016 at 7:13 AM, Owen Y said:

Things with Mark continue to turn out well!

He has recently repaired drivers from a set of ATC SMC35's and is now onto another job for us which is 12" driver from an SVS sub.

AudioMark = Highly recommended

================================

harlan - Mark Brumby (Audiomark) has been recommended - in Remuera, Akld - 529 5455.

Let us know how things work out.

Took my Yamaha TT into  @Tivoli Hi-Fi     this week, hopefully the solenoid issue can be rectified.

But a 4-6 week wait was quoted 😥

3 hours ago, joz said:

Took my Yamaha TT into  @Tivoli Hi-Fi     this week, hopefully the solenoid issue can be rectified.

But a 4-6 week wait was quoted 😥

Hey @joz

Apologies for the delay

Tony our tech is phenomenal but fast he is not and at the moment is pretty backed up with jobs, we hope to get it done faster but can't promise it at the moment hence not wanting to promise a quicker timeline and end up in the opposite situation.

Hope you understand.

Cheers

James

43 minutes ago, Tivoli Hi-Fi said:

Hey @joz

Apologies for the delay

Tony our tech is phenomenal but fast he is not and at the moment is pretty backed up with jobs, we hope to get it done faster but can't promise it at the moment hence not wanting to promise a quicker timeline and end up in the opposite situation.

Hope you understand.

Cheers

James

No need to apologise. I’m just hoping with fingers crossed he’s successful in getting it back up and running again. 😊

5 minutes ago, joz said:

No need to apologise. I’m just hoping with fingers crossed he’s successful in getting it back up and running again. 😊

Tony will give it his all!

Cheers

James

8 minutes ago, joz said:

Serves you right for actually cracking a record open to play on it :D

15 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Yeah, for some people analog is just too complicated! 🙄 

6 hours ago, evil c said:

Yeah, for some people analog is just too complicated! 🙄 

6 hours ago, betty boop said:

xD  This reminds me of some characters from my past. (Not sure if anyone else has stumbled across them).

-They had the opposite of the Midas touch. Anything mechanical and/or electronic that they walk past would magically fall to bits.

Eg. one chap (who studied and labelled himself as a "video tech") was fidgeting with my 20yo swiss army knife and broke the scissors in 5 secs. His newly purchased vehicle (that previously had good mechanical record), spent every other week at the mechanics workshop. The list went on and on. I had to keep him out of my workshop as it was starting to cost me. I repaired some of his stuff-ups at first until I observed this peculiarity. Took him a while to get the message that he was no longer welcome.

You’ve met evil c !?

No,  have not had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Evil yet.  Should I be concerned?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gee Emm said:

You’ve met evil c !?

Hurtful, hateful words !

Still sore after all these years that I crashed your car into the house we shared !

How was I supposed to remember your bedroom was there? 😬

I'm a changed man nowadays, just make sure to buy two of everything to be safe! 😂

Edited by evil c

Ouch!

Time to get back on topic methinks.

On 20/07/2019 at 3:39 PM, evil c said:

Hurtful, hateful words !

Still sore after all these years that I crashed your car into the house we shared !

How was I supposed to remember your bedroom was there? 😬

I'm a changed man nowadays, just make sure to buy two of everything to be safe! 😂

Aaaah. The good ol' days.

I think we actually got into quite a bit of trouble in that particular FB wagon...

And Spider the cat thought it was a solitary confinement cell.

Motor bike burnouts in the lounge room is still a vivid memory.

Do you really need a door on a toilet? Not every toilet, surely!?

And isn't a fence just firewood standing up?

All this and more to ponder in our twilight years.

As an older person, I don't think i would put up with all the shenanigans we got up to all those years ago in that house, and other places of interest.

On 18/07/2019 at 8:33 PM, Auracle said:

xD  This reminds me of some characters from my past. (Not sure if anyone else has stumbled across them).

-They had the opposite of the Midas touch. Anything mechanical and/or electronic that they walk past would magically fall to bits.

Eg. one chap (who studied and labelled himself as a "video tech") was fidgeting with my 20yo swiss army knife and broke the scissors in 5 secs. His newly purchased vehicle (that previously had good mechanical record), spent every other week at the mechanics workshop. The list went on and on. I had to keep him out of my workshop as it was starting to cost me. I repaired some of his stuff-ups at first until I observed this peculiarity. Took him a while to get the message that he was no longer welcome.

Sounds like me...I always say if you want to check out how well you have designed an item give it to me for a minute and i'll soon find it's weak spot! :)